Will my car pass a tech inspection?

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

Will my car pass a tech inspection?

Post by JimR » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Before registration at OMRSCCA events, all competitors' cars are checked for basic safety and function.

I. Autocross (SCCA "Solo")

What are we checking?
We will look for things like loose wheel bearings, steering wheel play, or anything unsafe for autocross conditions. Make sure your battery is held tightly in place, the throttle return works, the brakes function, and that nothing is leaking. Note: adequate mufflers are required, as excessively loud cars are one way to make us lose our site.

Classing
Tech inspectors are not responsible for judging correct car class, just that your car is safe to autocross. It is a good idea to read the SCCA Solo Rules at SCCA.com or ask for guidance on these forums before you reach registration - we'll be glad to answer your questions beforehand.

More details
For the full text of the vehicle safety rules, see section 3.3.3 of the Solo Rules.
http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

--------------------------------------------------------------

1) All loose items inside and outside the car must be removed, and this includes hand held devices.

2) Passenger's seat back and all cushions, bolsters, headrests, etc. must be secured. All allowed aftermarket replacement seats (i.e., driver and passenger) must be securely and safely mounted.

3) Any cameras must be securely mounted inside or outside the car to withstand loads from driving maneuvers. Mounting method and position must not interfere with driving or pose an additional hazard to occupants or workers.

4) Snap-on hubcaps and trim rings must be removed.

5) Wheels must be safely affixed with correct lug nut or bolt for the wheel type.

6) Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall.

7) Seat belts (and harnesses if used) must be properly installed with attaching hardware, in good condition, secure, and tight. Lap belts required in all cars. Open-top drivers with harnesses take note:
Section 3.3.1: non-factory upper body restraints may only be used in open cars, cars with targa-tops in the open position, or cars with T-tops in the open position when two conditions are met:

A. The roll structure must meet either the requirements of Appendix C or the Club Racing General Competition Rules (GCR) 9.4.
B. The top of the roll structure may not be below the top of the driver's helmet when the driver is in the normal driving position.
8 ) Working throttle return.

9) No excessive fuel, oil, water or brake fluid leaks. Prepared and Modified classes: make sure to read the rulebook about vent lines and cooling lines.

10) No steering spinner knobs are allowed, just in case you just arrived from the 1950s.

11) No cracks in wheels. On wire wheels, no broken or missing spokes or more than one loose spoke per wheel. Only FSAE-class cars may have non-metallic wheels.

12) Brakes must have an adequate pedal, sufficient fluid in the master cylinder, and no apparent hydraulic leaks under pressure.

13) All swing axle cars except Porsches must have a camber compensator, have negative camber on the rear wheels, or have axle-limiting straps. Standard pre-1967 Volkswagen straps are not sufficient.

14) Wheel bearings, shocks, steering, and suspension shall be in good operating condition.

15) Exhaust must exit behind the driver or exit to the side of the car.

16) On-board starter required.

17) All batteries (on-board power supplies) shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis structure, independent of any container or cover that may be present. Any wet-cell battery moved from the manufacturer's original location shall be in a non-conductive, marine-type container or equivalent and the "hot" terminal shall be insulated. NOTE: This will allow the use of gel cell or dry cell (AGM) batteries without a non-conductive, marine-type container where applicable.

18 ) Roll bars, if installed, must meet the applicable portions of Section 3.3.2 and Appendix C with specific attention to roll bar height.

19) Helmets for all occupants of the vehicle are to be inspected for condition, fit, and compliance with Section 4.3.1 of the Solo Rules.

20) Flex fans are not allowed.

21) Alcohol may not be used in manifold injection or spray bottles unless it is specified for this use by the OEM.

22) Cars competing on non-DOT-approved tires (where allowed) must meet all safety guidelines outlined in the Solo Rules.

23) Sports racer, formula cars, and open Prepared and Modified cars have special roll bar requirements. See section 3.3.2 of the Solo Rules.

24) For all karts, chain guards are required on engines.

25) For all karts, a "brake safety cable" or redundant brake pedal connection is required.
Last edited by JimR on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:47 pm

II. RallyCross

Important differences
A RallyCross tech inspection is basically the same as a Solo inspection. However, there are some very important requirements to note, such as issues with convertibles and running with windows up. Pay special attention to the areas highlighted in red below.

--------------------------------------------------------------

From the SCCA RallyCross Rules
http://www.scca.com/pages/rallycross-cars-and-rules

All vehicles must pass safety inspection on the following points prior to competing. This applies at each event entered. Entry fees, if already paid, will be refunded if a car fails to pass the safety inspection. A safety inspection is not concerned with class compliance.

A. All loose items, inside and outside the car (including the trunk and storage areas), must be removed.
B. Snap-on hubcaps, detachable fender skirts and trim rings must be removed.
C. Convertible, targa, or t-top vehicles must have their factory hard top or panels securely in place during course runs.
D. Sunroofs must be fully closed unless vehicle is equipped with a net at the opening and/or the driver is wearing arm restraints.
E. The driver's window may not be down more than 1" during course runs unless the vehicle is equipped with a window net and/or the driver is using arm restraints. The same restriction applies to the passenger window if there is a passenger.

F. Wheels must be safely affixed. They shall not be reversed so that the lughole taper does not mate with the chamfer of the lugs. All studs and lug nuts must be present, installed correctly and functional.
G. Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall.
H. Seat lap belts are required in all cars. Installation of shoulder and lap belts is strongly recommended. Seat/shoulder belts must be properly installed with attaching hardware secure and tight. Competitors are required to wear seat belts when driving in competition. Additional belts must be installed per the manufacturer's recommendations.
I. Throttle return action shall be safe and positive.
J. No excessive fuel, oil, water or brake fluid leaks should be observed when the engine is running.
K. Steering wheel "spinner" knobs are not permitted.
L. Brakes must have an adequate pedal, sufficient fluid in the master cylinder and no apparent hydraulic leaks and shall be operational at all four wheels. The vehicle must have a working parking/emergency brake system.
M. Wheel bearings, shocks, steering, and suspension shall be in good operating condition.
N. All batteries (on board power supplies) shall be attached to ensure that the battery and/or power supply will remain in place. If a lead-acid (wet cell) type battery is battery is relocated from its original location, it must be equipped with leak-proof caps and enclosed in a non-conductive, marine-type box. Dry cell batteries, commonly known as Recombinant Gas (RG) or Glass Mat Technology (GMT) batteries, are not required to be in a marine-type box. The hot terminal must be insulated on all vehicles. All batteries shall be securely attached to the primary structure of the vehicle.
O. Roll cages are strongly recommended in all cars. If installed it is strongly recommended that roll cages be constructed according to the rules for stage rally competition used in other sanctioning bodies.
P. Snell 1995 (SA95, M95, or K98) or newer labeled helmets are approved for use. This is a minimum standards for use in RallyCross, other approved helmets are:
--1. British Standards: BS 6658-85 type A/FR, including all amendments.
--2. SFI Foundation, Inc; SFI Spec 31.1
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Come on by the meeting and say hi. I am sure you can collect a few opinions. I also doubt seriously that a little steering play on a car with good tie rods, ball joints, bushings etc is going to be a problem.

Do read the post above though as we absolutely will not allow cars with broken wire wheel spokes to compete LOL
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:45 pm

Curtis wrote:Do read the post above though as we absolutely will not allow cars with broken wire wheel spokes to compete LOL
What about dry-rotted wagonwheel-spokes? I thumped 'em with a rawhide-mallet at the Blacksmith's shop - he thought they'd be OK, as there's not any termite-damage....

I've been thinking about what to do about motorvation on my hotrod - would doubling the "horsepower" put me in a Mod class you think?

-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am

For this particular class, I think we need a rule whereby the driver has to clean up any "spills" that occur. Also, it might serve to keep the entry level down a bit, which could be a good thing considering that the coefficient of friction of horse manure couldn't be very high. Could be a safety issue as well as an olfactory one.

Bud

Horsehammerr

4X in Rally X

Post by Horsehammerr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:00 am

Some of you are at least a little familiar with my S-10 Crew Cab, 888 FSP. I'm wondering , first, if I can run 4 wheel in Rallycross the way I'm set up ? Has this ever been attempted ?
"02 S-10 Crew Cab " Down & Quick " 888 FSP

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:40 am

Should be fine. I've seen jeep srt run before.

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 am

IIRC we let a stock-height S-10 4x4 run last year or the year before in Stock AWD at the Nationals. He wasn't fast, but still ran.

This would be at a minimum a "Prepared AWD" class vehicle, but I would see no problem with it running if it ran AutoX without incident.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

Horsehammerr

Post by Horsehammerr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:17 am

No problems in my only auto x. The main thing lacking is experiance. Would be great if there was someone available to help with a little hands-on instruction. Reading only gives a blurred image. Anyone volunteer ? :)
"02 S-10 Crew Cab " Down & Quick " 888 FSP

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I'd be glad to if I can find a space in all the action. This next autocross I am co-driving with another guy and will ride with him when he's driving to give some feedback. If I'm in the same heat with you then it might work to ride along. I'm sure some others would be willing too.

Bud