Fluid recycling

Motorsports banter, suggestions, ideas, and general armchair racing.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

flogger

Fluid recycling

Post by flogger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:49 pm

I just moved to Nixa this summer from Indiana. I've already got some coolant to recycle, and will have brake fluid, ATF and gear oil to deal with pretty soon. I've made some calls, and it seems that lots of places around here take used oil, but nothing else. Anyone know who accepts this stuff around here?

TIA
Scott Woosley

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:27 am

I don't know about Springfield, but Joplin has a recycling center that will take about any kind of fluid. The phone number is 417-624-0820. They are at 1310 W. A St., Joplin. I hope this is still a good number--I haven't called it in awhile.

Bud

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Brake and ATF can go in the "engine oil" container. If you're using ethylene-glycol coolant, you can safely pour it in any city sanitary-drain (i.e. a "toilet") without environmental harm, so long as it's not oil-contaminated - the bacteria in the sewers will feast upon it gladly. Septic-tank systems may not give enough "dwell time" to break-down the coolant, however.

Organic Acid (OAT) such as Dexcool or "long life" coolant(s) should not be disposed of in the sewer.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm on septic and well water and am ~ ½ mile outside Nixa city limits. The current batch of coolant I've got to dispose of is from my Mercedes, so it's Mercedes branded HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) like Zerex G-05. This is the first time I've had to deal with this stuff. Everything else I've got around here is Ethylene Glycol. When possible, I'd prefer not to even see that go into the sewers. I figure besides the Ethylene Glycol, it's also got some heavy metals dissolved in it, and besides, it should be able to be easily recycled, so why not? Anyone know where to go to do the right thing here locally?

Also, WRT oil with ATF in it being acceptable here locally, that's good to know. Back when I lived in SoCal that was a no-no. Then again, I talked to my next door neighbor about it (he has a few restored muscle cars in his outbuilding) and he said he just uses his fluids as fire starter when burning brush.
Scott Woosley

Gmcnabb

used oil/ fluids

Post by Gmcnabb » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Bring your used oil and/or fluids by my store, we can re-cycle them for Free.

Gene's Gallery
3230 E. Chestnut Exp
Springfield, Mo 65802
417-831-6592

Gregg

flogger

Post by flogger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Awesome. Thanks, Gregg. Funny thing - I happened to drive right by your store earlier today. Next time I'm gonna be in the neighborhood I'll have to plan ahead and bring this stuff. Should I call first? Also, given the contents of this thread, I take it you don't care if the petrochemical stuff is mixed. I'd be happy to keep it sorted if it matters.

Thanks again.
Scott Woosley

flogger

Post by flogger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Just a quick, unsolicited plug for Gregg and Gene's Gallery. They took the fluids, we had a pleasant, quick visit and it's a nice bike shop. IIRC, they even have some SCCA appropriate things, like Snell helmets. Thanks, Gregg.

Scott
Scott Woosley