Just a random thought.

Motorsports banter, suggestions, ideas, and general armchair racing.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Do we allow wheel downsizing and upsizing?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

rad_dsm

Just a random thought.

Post by rad_dsm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:58 pm

So, with the new rule proposal for next year they are going to allow +_1" wheel sizing with the current offset rule. How does everybody, all classes, feel if I went ahead and downsized my wheel size from 20's to 19's? Lets discuss. Thanks!
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss synergy green mattalic
65 FS RTR

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:36 pm

The following is why I am not encouraged to discuss topics. ;)

Things in the SCCA are still the same. No one in Topeka understands the concept of STOCK. There are way too many allowances for STOCK. The aftermarket manufacturers are as guilty or even more so for the perversion of STOCK cars. I still say that no car should be allowed any non-OEM replacement parts until they reach 5 years of age or 100,000 miles. There should be no allowances for "packages" of cars. If the car is 0-2 years old then they should be required to run the factory tires and wheels NO exceptions.

I believe that the STOCK class should be an introductory/economy class for autocrossing and not a class manipulated by drivers of the near professional standard with best rule lawyering money can buy. I think the PAX is the craziest thing ever created - that is next to Ladies' classes. Run the best you can. If it isn't fast enough, then start modding your car if you want to be the fastest. I have yet to see a Civic win the Indy 500 and it should never be handicapped enough to be able to.

That's probably enough discussion for now. ;)
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Regarding your wish to change your tire size now....

The rules are still in the proposal stage, as I understand it, and I want to see what they finally end up with. They may still not approve changing tire sizes up or down 1" in diameter. I had made tentative plans for a Mini Cooper, normally aspirated, to run in HS. The last I read was that they are considering merging GS and HS, which shoots that idea down. So I am waiting.

I'm not in favor of anyone not running by the letter of the rules. But if they do end up allowing going up or down 1" in diameter, you could still do that this year and just run in another class for which your car is eligible, such as a Street Touring or Street Prepared class. You won't be competitive but you will have a head-start on being competitive next year.

Bud