AXTI.ME timing software platform

Motorsports banter, suggestions, ideas, and general armchair racing.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

AXTI.ME timing software platform

Post by JimR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:20 am

I went to a NEOkla/OKSCCA combined Solo yesterday that was running Oklahoma Region's timing platform, which I had never seen before. They were running AXTI.ME live timing that I could watch real-time on my phone and had T&S displayed on a big flatscreen at the trailer if you didn't have a smartphone. It was excellent. Apparently, if you pre-pay on MotorsportReg with OKSCCA, you don't have to visit registration, just get checked off at the gate by someone with a phone or tablet.

Reading up on it, it's a slick platform. The whole interface is Web-based and wireless. The software is installed on a single computer, essentially making the timing computer a little web server. All inputs are saved on the fly. It does require setting up wireless network hardware, though.

The training curve is small. If someone can use a web page or smart phone, they can run tech, registration, or timing. Timing is interesting because you have the choice of running everything from one screen, or have separate individuals queue cars and enter penalties from their own screen (tablet, phone, etc). Tech can also be run push-button from a phone or tablet.

Entrants would connect to the local T&S wireless network and be able to get live timing, no manual refreshing. Any old device like a secondhand smartphone with no data plan could show results. Add an internet hotspot or tethered smartphone, and people can also get live results from live.axti.me anywhere with an internet connection. OKSCCA was doing this, and their final results look like this:

http://live.axti.me/results/Vy7eAw9Cl

In theory, timing/announce could be run from inside a car with the heat/AC running while the computer/network hardware is running inside the closed trailer. T&S workers could also take bathroom breaks since the inputs are all modular.

It would be nice to move away from the AXWare platform. AXWare will not issue licenses to clubs stating that they have the very popular FarmTek timing hardware, which competes with its own ties to RaceAmerica. Most people are using FarmTek in JACircuits clone mode to talk to AXWare. AXWare is also is daunting to use, and support plans and updates are expensive. They also started encrypting result log files because people had written free living timing scripts. Everyone used it because nothing else turn-key out there.

Dave Whitworth of SPS, who sold us the FarmTek hardware, is using the axti.me software in St. Louis. He says that it's stable and neato. San Francisco Region was the trial region (Silicon Valley and all) and has been using it with large car counts for several years. Smaller regions also run the software.

Pricing is $700 one and done for Axti.me. Networking hardware would be several hundred dollars in addition, unless people had hardware bits and pieces to donate. Can we do this?
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

JimR

Re: AXTI.ME timing software platform

Post by JimR » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:22 am

Here is the instruction set for various roles in SFRSCCA, including the network diagram.

http://www.sfrautox.com/?page_id=463

They have large head counts, thus separate work positions for queuing cars at the line, entering cone penalties, and monitoring T&S, but you can see from the screen shots how it works.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:17 pm

Live timing would be great! :D

Not having people asking to check a time on the computer during a heat would take out a major issue with getting out of order, ask me how I know.... :roll:

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:43 am

Here are a few thoughts on this:

If data can be entered from wireless devices, then much of that hardware can be eliminated. I'd be interested in seeing how the data entry looked on a fairly large (7 inch or larger) wireless tablet - which the cheap ones are pretty reasonable - to replace all but one of the laptops shown in the diagram for example.

Keeping all the mobile devices charged might be an issue depending on how their battery life is.

Then the switch/hub isn't really necessary reducing the hardware footprint, and one good distance wireless repeater could be plugged in without a hub and cover the area nicely.

I currently have about 3 old smartphones that I use as speedometers (GPS works, WiFi works, no cell service) that would be perfect for connecting to view live results as mentioned above, let alone that we all have connected cell phones that could view results as well.

Finally, to display results on a screen, depending on how it all works, a Raspberry pi (usb powered mini computer) connects directly to HDMI, runs off a USB charger, and could be setup to display results over the network, wired or via wireless through the web interface. The total cost of having this dedicated mini computer is about $50. This would allow the use of ANY hdmi capable TV, not necessarily one that is web-connected to further reduce hardware expenses. A larger monitor might not even be needed if everyone is just using tablets/phones anyway.

I could offer my help from the hardware and wireless network areas (setup and troubleshooting), as well as supporting/programming a RPi for the TV if it was decided to do a TV with live scoring.