MPG

Motorsports banter, suggestions, ideas, and general armchair racing.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

MPG

Post by Crazy_Dog » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 pm

So here is a topic for Fun.

Name your car. not a racing car. #1 concern is price to MPG ratio

Example a new Telsa Roadster at 90,000 is not worth the gas mileage (however a all electric lotus biased sports car is!)

so whats your choice for max MPG but low entry cost.

BMW 325is was getting 30+ mpg hwy untill it started to crap out on me. someday it will be back up there again... someday.

thats the best thing I've got.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

JimR

Post by JimR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 pm

So, cheap cars with the most smiles per gallon? LOL.

I would be thinking along the lines of an EF Honda Civic Si hatch or an old Miata. If we're talking highway-only miles, early 4th-gen F-bodies are cheap and can crank out the MPGs in sixth gear.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:59 pm

theres an EF civic Si?

totally biased here but a 2000-2002 corolla with koni yellows installed, 5 speed of course. 40 mpg hwy, 37 city. fun and frugal. :P :P
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:23 am

Cheapest most fuel efficient car I ever expirienced was 1966 Datsun wagon. The guy wanted $50 for it and dad talked him down to $15 because it needed a new master cylinder. It would run 55 mph down hill with a good back breeze and would knock out 45-50 mpg all day long. (Prolly cause it took all day to get anywhere.) I remember one day we were out looking for junkers down around Hartville and we saw a flock of turkeys. Dad "gunned it" and if the young tom hadn't been stupid and tried to fly he would have out run us. :shock:
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:48 am

Geo Metro LSi
34MPG City
41 Highway

What i would like to have is some sort of early to mid 00's Jetta TDI
Gives you in the upwards of 50+ MPG on the highway
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-Jetta ... 0013740116

But the price tag is a bit high.... Worth it because it will run for a very very very long time!
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

drivehard

Post by drivehard » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:38 pm

I traded my Super 10 RC car for a 92' Civic, rebuilt the engine, and got 40 MPG avg. No oil usage. Had about $600 cash, noy including the RC car
CRUX[kruks] 1. of perplexing difficulty. 2. the essential or most important point.

DRIVE HARD, DRIVE FAST, DON'T MISS YOUR POINT!!!!

budweeks

mpg to grin ratio

Post by budweeks » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:51 pm

OK, I'll weigh in on this one.

I vote for my '92 Toyota MR2. It got about 30 mpg. It had good torque, great spacing in the gears, and great seats (for my backside at least). But, more importantly, it had Toyota quality so that nothing ever broke, therefore it's cost per autocross mile was very low. It never used oil, always was ready and willing to run hard, and was a hoot just to drive around town. And, it didn't cost that much to buy. I like cheap cars that don't demand that you work on them.

Bud

bugzaper

Post by bugzaper » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 pm

89 Suzuki Swift GTi 40+ mpg depending on how hard I drive it. State inspected, registered, inspected and insured. Driven to and from events loaded with racing tires,jack,tools,chair,cooler and all the other essentials.
Have lost track of how many miles on the engine I know its well over 150,000 and it just keeps going and going and going.

Cheapest car I've ever raced / owned and a absolute blast to drive ! :wink:

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Hey I havent seen that swift at an event recently, how about this year?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

bugzaper

Post by bugzaper » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Corolla DRiveR wrote:Hey I havent seen that swift at an event recently, how about this year?
Yes I hope to get out to some races this year, its been very busy going back to college at my age :shock: but, hopefully things are on the down slide a bit.