New Local Track?!?!?!

Motorsports banter, suggestions, ideas, and general armchair racing.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:26 pm

Marshfield Mail wrote:
Posted Fri., Aug. 1, 2008
Following a meeting of developers and others involved with the planning of the proposed Mid-Continent Motorsports Park on Wednesday, July 30, it appears the new race track complex to be located north of Marshfield is edging closer to the starting line.

Although the plans are not finalized for the new track and surrounding development, developer and C.E.O Jerry Douglas hopes to finalize the plans within the next 30 days.
The park is scheduled to be built just north of Interstate 44, near the 105-mile marker overpass. The overpass currently does not have ramps to access the interstate, with Douglas and co-developer Trish Dixon making a presentation at the July 24 Marshfield Board of Aldermen meeting to gauge support for encouraging construction of the on/off ramps.
The project is projected to cost $8.7 million to begin operations, with another $2.3 million to lengthen the track. There are also plans to add $4.3 million worth of track amenities, including garages and clubhouses, once the track has existed for three or four years.
The track will be the first of its kind in the state of Missouri. Unlike oval dirt race tracks in other southwest Missouri communities as Lebanon, Monett and Bolivar, the track at Marshfield is planned to follow the contours of the land, making the drive more challenging to the drivers. Douglas and his associates think that having a track like that will draw people from as far as 500 miles away, including people from Kansas City and St. Louis.
In a PowerPoint presentation on Wednesday, Douglas and his partners presented the planned Marshfield motorsports park as similar to ones in Hastings, Neb., and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and Road Atlanta.
"We have a vision of a track our grandkids could be proud of," Douglas said. "We're looking for something that would make good economic sense and be fun. We want more of a family-friendly destination and we think that this is our place."
With the track being so close to an I-44 overpass, Douglas said that he would like to work with the Missouri Department of Transportation to create on/off ramps, allowing racers and fans much easier access to the park. However, he said that it would be at least three years before that happens.
Despite not being able to get an interchange at the 105-mile marker right away, Douglas plans on building the initial phase of the track as soon as possible.
"We don't need an interchange right away," he stated. "But it would be to Marshfield's benefit. With the interchange, we could develop our other property (on the south side of the interstate), creating new jobs and restaurants for the city. We really are working to make the interchange a reality."
The track may also be a big tourist attraction for Marshfield. The developers expect nearly 10,000 to 20,000 people to come watch the races on any given weekend. Unlike NASCAR, which usually only has one race per year at each track, the Mid-Continent track will be running events several weekends each year, weather permitting. The organization plans to bring in professional road racing events such as Speed World Challenge, American Le Mans, Grand Am Cup and AMA motorcycle racing. Included will also be amateur SCCA regional and national races, NASA, vintage sports car racing, and individual marque club events such as Porsche Club of America , BMW Car Club of America, Corvette, Shelby, etc.
Douglas also pointed out in his presentation to the Marshfield aldermen that race cars using the course will have mufflers, unlike those that race on area dirt ovals.
Alan Wilson, C.E.O. of Miller Motor Sports Park, which has helped design tracks all over the world, sees the motorsports park as an opportunity to meet the needs of a variety of people.
"The track can be divided up for a variety of events, including some that are run simultaneously," he said. "It can be used for motorcycles, go-carts, police training and even driving lessons for teens. There are many avenues we need to explore."
Wilson has been retained as the designer for the Mid-Continent track and as a consultant to the company's management team.
Missouri is already known for NASCAR drivers Carl Edwards, of Columbia, and Jamie McMurray, of Joplin, along with several other drivers from smaller racing leagues. Douglas believes that the Marshfield track could influence others to get involved in the sport.
"With it being such a family-friendly atmosphere, kids get to experience the events first-hand and grow up around racing," he said. "We hope that having this track around them might influence some of them to get more involved in the sport."
Once the plans become finalized, the developers plan on starting the project almost immediately. The project should take anywhere from a year to 18 months to complete.
"We hope to bring something cool to the community," said Dixon, company president and a Rogersville native. "We want something that he community can be proud of and something that we can really enjoy."
In their presentation, Douglas was described as a former real estate broker and developer in the Branson, Ozark and Springfield markets as well as a builder of executive residential homes. Dixon has experience as a commercial real estate financier, investor and in private and public investments to finance commercial real estate developments.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

craigb

Post by craigb » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 am

Wow, that's a lot of money. I've never been on the business end of a road course, but I know if you built a dragstrip like that in this area you would be very hard pressed to service the debt.

I'm not originally from Missouri, but I've been here long enough to understand the state nickname and I believe it applies here.
Craig

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:06 pm

A ton of money for pie-in-the-sky dreams. And for what it's worth. Local dirt tracks do require mufflers. I hope he makes it real and be realistic about it. He doesn't sound like a sound businessman in the motorsports marketing aspect.

If you dump money into it, the euros will not come. Locals are your bread an butter.

Somebody give this guy my# it's on my website. Good things run themselves. This could be one of those things.

He just doesn't have a clue. :wink:

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Guys,

I am not a part of this track initiative in any way. Although I have been trying to keep a handle on it as part of my RE responsibilies. However, this project could open up all kinds of opportunities for Ozark Mountain Region members.

Having raced at and visited many "country club" and more recently built tracks built around similar models, I would like to offer up some information/clarification. All of this is based on how other similar tracks are run around the nation.

First of all there would be no "Saturday night" show of any kind. It's a high end road course not a drag strip, nor stock car track.

Secondly tracks like this typically do not sanction any of their own events, rather they rent their facilities to other organizations that put on events.

Tracks like this generally care little to not at all about spectator revenue. It's nice, but again their money comes from renting the facilities.

Modern tracks are designed as multi use facilities so you might see two or even three of the following going on all at the same time.....Kart Racing, Motorcyle racing, SCCA sanctioned road race, BMW club, Porsche club, Ferrari club, or Corvette club track day, Corporate driver training, Teen driver training, Race school training, Law enforcement or emergency services training, SCCA Solo event, NASA race or track day, pro team test track rental, ect. ect. ect. Tracks like these might have something going on 280-300 days per year.

With regard to SOLO which is all we do as a Region now, there is a large paved paddock and possibly a skid pad planned. The thing we need to do is grow our Solo program. Right now, at the Duck's stadium we can break even with 40 or more cars at $20 a car. Other SCCA regions renting and utilizing facilities like the proposed track might have to charge $30 for an entry and draw 80-100 cars for the financials to work out.

Sometimes I think we take the inexpensive Duck's rental for granted. Very few regions have $20 SOLO entry fees, very few regions are done by 3:00, and even fewer get 6 runs. SOLO the way we like it may not be viable at this facility, and that would be okay as I think we need to do everything possible to preserve the very good program we have already.

I am most excited about the opportunity to also become a "road race" region when the new track is up and running.

Curtis Wood
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Sometimes you have to crawl before you walk. $15 mil plus in a track, c'mon. I'll believe it when I see it. The more I read about it, the more it looks bogus. They haven't even closed on the land!

If you have CASH it doesn't take 30 days to close. If this gets done, you alienate the locals, you don't get too far.

There are three types of tracks in the US, Open, Closed or Demolished.

The city of Marshfield is trying to annex the property.

This thing may be dead before the first blade of grass is harmed! :wink:

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 pm

killerbracing wrote: This thing may be dead before the first blade of grass is harmed! :wink:

Thanks Buzz Killington.... :?
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Curtis wrote:
I am most excited about the opportunity to also become a "road race" region when the new track is up and running.
that make 2 of us.... I wouldnt mind being a road racer when I grow up :)
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 am

KB, I don't think you grasp the difference in scale. Road courses don't need the support of locals. At most, they're asking for indifference of their neighbors, who are happy to scrape up any hotel and restaurant tax revenue. The only way you upset the natives is with noise and traffic concerns.

In fact, a couple of places I've been, like Motorsports Ranch outside Ft. Worth and Autobahn Country Club towards Chicago, tend to avoid granting access to the public. On most days, you only get in the gate if you're a paid member. The model works, judging by the nice facilities and garages filled with Porsches, Elises, Vipers, and Vettes. There's one of these under construction outside Kansas City if you have the cash to get in.

Yeah, it would cost a lot. You have to think big to play big. RVs, enclosed trailers, toterhomes, sports cars, and race cars are money. At the amateur sanctioning level, the Marshfield track would draw traffic from half a dozen states, with regular visitors from half a dozen more. In time, the infrastructure could support pro races with racers from across the country.

The fact that they're enlisting the services of Alan Wilson, who's designed most of the road courses constructed in America in the last decade, tells me they're not half-assing it. If they have the financial backing and the green light from the city, there is no reason why it couldn't happen. And thrive.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Miller Motorports Park in Utah was recently built at cost exceeding more than 100 million dollars. SCCA club racing took place there this year. Entry fees weren't any higher we pay at Hallet.

I didn't mean to imply that we wouldn't be able to hold events there, just that it's a TOTALLY different business than a circle or drag track.

Maybe I shouldn't have mixed in my "half full" look at OMRs SOLO program.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Killer B,

I tried to respond to the PM you sent but couldn't get it to go through, sorry. Call anytime, or drop by the meeting tonight.

417-849-4673
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Curtis,
Got the pm. I'll get ya pm'd back. Good to hear from a racer that's been there, done that!

In this economy, I don't believe it will work. Here's why: at Hallet and other established tracks, there is history (the owners, developers are racing legends) and old money (big companies are getting ready to ax and sue their CEOs).

I know that there are some teams with NASCRAP type haulers and an unlimited payroll for their toys. That's fine. If there is all of this going on and no one in the stands, who pays for it? The racer.

Motorsports marketing 101: If you set the rules, let the drivers and cars in free, charge for pit passes and charge a ticket price because everyone that knows the driver and/or crew comes to sit in the stands and watch=profit. :wink:

That doesn't account for Concession sales, banner ads, etc.

All it would take is somebody to carve a road course into a field with a brush hog, take the formula above and that Marshfield track wouldn't see the light of day. It may not anyway. If you have to make a power point presentation, you don't have enough pennies to fund it! :wink:

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:18 pm

KB,

Sounds like you have a lot of experience developing new tracks! You should lend some of your expertise to help get the new track going!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 am

magilson wrote:KB,

Sounds like you have a lot of experience developing new tracks! You should lend some of your expertise to help get the new track going!
I'm not talking about the development of the track. The Dozer operators and asphalt pavers should be on top of that! :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:46 pm

I hope they can pull this off! It's only 8 miles from my house. I think it would be great for the area, most people around here don't know what road racing is. I hope they don't leave out the local guys. A local series like COMMA at Hallett (where I race) that runs once a month would be awesome! I know the big events and track rental is where the money is, but hopefully they could work in a local series as well. There are a lot of guys out there that want to race and could put a car together for $10,000 or less and have the time of their life, but most including myself can't pay a $10,000 membership fee, like I have seen at some tracks. By the way from what I have read the road course in Kansas City is dead. Only time will tell about this one.
1990 Honda Civic Si ITA/H4/PA #47

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Aaron, thank you. Dead on with what I'm saying. 8)

Guys, sit back, think about it. You don't have to be John Q. Hammons, or any billionaire to do this. All you have to do is take the information presented, consider the money, numbers in millions, and then apply logical thought.

Hell, any bum on C-street can do this math problem. The locals are the hand, the developers shouldn't bite it! :wink: