August 24th Points Event #6

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

magilson

August 24th Points Event #6

Post by magilson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Results have been posted.

Thoughts on the course or the event?

I had a great time!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks for hand-entering all the data. I bet that was a bear.

The Miata was a riot. Sam Henry lent me a set of secondhand Spec Miata Toyos, and it really woke up the car. Corey Pettett was visiting from Arkansas Region, and I had him co-drive. If you have the opportunity to put an experienced driver in your car, never pass it up. A second set of feedback on setup and technique never hurts.

Things went well, aside from the second heat incident. A car spun on my course and hit a bush hard enough to do cosmetic damage and take the tire off its bead. This has been weighing on me, and it is unacceptable to provide an environment that allows this to happen.

A few times in the past, my course designs have walked up to the distance minimums required by the rulebook to be able to use the back section of Ducks. I've tried to use course elements that maintain speed and route cars away from concrete barriers, holes, and any other of the serious obstacles. Obviously, the minimum requirements are not good enough. One incident is one too many.

Given the deterioration of the surface since July, the Eastern edge of the back section is off limits as far as I'm concerned. Due to a single new pothole about 1x2 feet in size, there is no way to route cars on that side without exposing ourselves to the same risk as Sunday. From here on, using the back section will mostly likely involve a turnaround and repeating the same section on the return. At some point, we may have to abandon the back of the "L" entirely.

On the plus side, I have confidence we can continue to offer a fun course and a lot of seat time like we did on Sunday.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 am

WOAH!

Thats not good...

What happened to Scott? He not race at all?
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 am

AutoXChris wrote:WOAH!

Thats not good...

JimR wrote: Things went well, aside from the second heat incident. A car spun on my course and hit a bush hard enough to do cosmetic damage and take the tire off its bead.
that was me :shock: Jettas dont like spruce trees.....
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 am

AutoXChris wrote:WOAH!

Thats not good...

One run which was a DNF. Then...

http://www.omrscca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4335
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 am

... see i knew of the 2 events... BUT i didnt put them together. Thats Insane!!!

I thought the Ditch digger was some other event.
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

joehyundai

Post by joehyundai » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 pm

I thought the tempo was in HS? :?
2005 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Friendly Ford

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Matt, the Father/Son pair driving the Tempo I believe was HS, instead of STU. Thanks so much on getting the results up so quickly, even though they all were hand entered. I know that I appreciate all of the work you put into this and am sure that many others do also.

Jim, great course I really enjoyed it like all of the others that you have done. I agree that this lot is getting in real bad shape there on the back side and I hope that the club is still actively seeking another site. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to put the trailer down there like it was on one of the eariler events and push the Start/Stop far enough to the North to avoid some of these bumps. Just an idea and it might even be a bad one.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

budweeks

Last event

Post by budweeks » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi Guys,

Wow, do I have some conflicting thoughts about our last event. First, I liked the course a lot. It had a really challenging corner, the first right hander, like you might see at nationals. The cones gave little clue as to how you actually had to drive it, not that I figured out exactly the right way to drive it. But it was a great corner; a mind stretcher. The rest of the course was good too, with two places you could really put your foot into it but had to steer oh-so-gently to keep the right line and not hit cones.

That brings me to the other side of the coin. I have at least some of the responsibility for the incident since I signed off on the course. I changed a couple of things, and thought we had the pace about right. However, later when I got home and reflected upon it, I realized it was too fast down the back side going into the turnaround area. The driver in me was just taking care of driving business and trying to drive the right lines. The Solo Safety Steward in me had walked around the course during the first heat and didn't see anything that was a concern other than some newbie course workers that were a little too close to the course for comfort. I guess the learning for me is to keep my SSS hat on even when I am driving. All of life is some kind of a lesson.

I think we can still use the east side of the lot if we scutinize more closely the layout of the course in regards to speed. I hate to say that because I like a faster course as much as anyone. As Jim has said, we are locked into a certain kind of course layout because of all those problems with the lot. We may have to accept a "sameness" of course layout to a greater degree than we have to this point. But then again, maybe someone with a fresh eye can see some possibilities I can't.

Anyway, thanks to all that helped set up and run the event, to Jim for doing course set up again, and to Matt for getting the results out quickly. The trophies are neat!

Bud

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:16 pm

SilverYota wrote:Matt, the Father/Son pair driving the Tempo I believe was HS, instead of STU. Thanks so much on getting the results up so quickly, even though they all were hand entered. I know that I appreciate all of the work you put into this and am sure that many others do also.
I think I got it. I left the Laptop running and hooked up so I can make correction early this time.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Korry helped set up the runs up and down the hill, and those sections turned out great. I can't set up using a map or design in the back section anymore, so I have to lay it down off-the-cuff and devote a lot of time adjusting for speed and safety around the ruts and obstacles.

Extra eyes are much appreciated. The back area has become very narrow, which winds up requiring a lot of transitions and slalom-like maneuvers. Unfortunately, they're the worst course elements for making cars loose as speeds increase. It's a fine line. We will have to err much more on the side of caution in the future.

Concerning sites, here is what I understand we have:

Ducks - we will continue to find creative ways to use this site and provide quality seat time. I have ideas if we have to limit use of the back section, or not use it at all. The very rapid deterioration from trucking use this year is appalling, though. We're the only people who seem to care about the upkeep of the facilities.

Crowder College - the trucking pad, ironically enough. Great site, but the site manager could prove stubborn. Curtis and I need to approach to see if they will agree to events next season.

Springfield Fairgrounds - unusual demands that don't seem to grasp the nature of our sport. Maybe rational heads will prevail someday.

Mid-Continent - road courses don't make good autocross courses (narrow, boring, rollover danger) and require special divisional SSS approval, but putting any new option on the table is a good thing. If the track is built, maybe a possibility by our 2010 season? Maybe a paved paddock in years after that?

If anyone has any leads, we're all ears! 8)
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:00 pm

JimR wrote: If anyone has any leads, we're all ears! 8)
http://www.omrscca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4354#4354
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Matt, the Porsche Boxster in STX and STXL is also in the wrong class. Last time it was in AS maybe Curtis or Shelby could chime in if it has been modified or if it is still in AS.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

magilson

Post by magilson » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:46 am

SilverYota wrote:Matt, the Porsche Boxster in STX and STXL is also in the wrong class. Last time it was in AS maybe Curtis or Shelby could chime in if it has been modified or if it is still in AS.
Anyone can choose to be in a Street Tire class.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 am

I was just referencing the fact it was a 2 seat sports car in a class for 4 seat cars only. I should have mentioned that in the last post, mainly because I had forgotten this when I had initially looked at the results :oops: 2008 rule book page 167 (page 183 in .pdf file).
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2