Rain, snow and sleet on Sunday

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

The Huff

Rain, snow and sleet on Sunday

Post by The Huff » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:14 am

This sucks! :evil:
Are you guy's seeing this forecast? This is gonna be a depressing weekend. Not only are we most likely not going to be autoxing, but the weather is going to be miserable both Saturday and Sunday. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

magilson

Post by magilson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 am

If it's as bad as predicted I'll be staying home to work on the project car instead of run the daily...
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:16 am

Justin, if the event goes on I'll be there on street tires. R comps are almost worthless when the temperature gets that cold.

My concern is not only the forecasted snow accumulation but what that forecast will do to attendance. Even if conditions turn out to be not that bad, we can't run if only ~20 people show up.

NEOKLA cancelled an early season event a year or two ago due to similar conditions. Is there a time in the next 24 hours when a go / no-go decision for Sunday will be made or will we just hope for an adequate turnout?
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

JimR

Post by JimR » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:27 am

We're going to have a decision made and posted by noon today, at latest. Working phone calls right now.

We will send an e-mail to everyone registered via MotorsportReg, and post the call on OMRSCCA.org and local forums.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

markyf

Post by markyf » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:08 am

Just cancel it. The forecast keeps getting worse. I auto-x to have fun, not suffer. Although that's not always true, I suffer when I lose.
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD

JimR

Post by JimR » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 am

Mark, I think everyone is on the same page.

Matt and I talked to most of the board, and we decided to cancel the event. We'll try again on Sunday, April 11.

Please see the full announcement here:

http://www.omrscca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5876
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

markyf wrote:Just cancel it. The forecast keeps getting worse. I auto-x to have fun, not suffer.
I couldn't agree more and even if it isn't snowing/icing I don't think many are interested in running r-compounds with drizzle/rain, 30° temps, gusty North wind and clouds all day. Also with so many people driving 2+ hrs to get there I think that we have made the right choice.

I do want to thank EVERYONE for pre-registering we had 53 people sign up. I hope that everyone likes MotorsportReg.com and now that most already have and account it will be easier to pre-register for April 11th. I hope that everyone can make it out, and looking forward to seeing you there.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

fordfocusguy

Post by fordfocusguy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:07 pm

NOOO!!! THIS WAS MY CHANCE FOR FTD!!!! Lol, they had one in Iowa that was freezing rain once, and I think FTD was a Honda fit. Lol.

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 pm

fordfocusguy wrote:NOOO!!! THIS WAS MY CHANCE FOR FTD!!!! Lol, they had one in Iowa that was freezing rain once, and I think FTD was a Honda fit. Lol.
You are right about that. 300hp is meaningless if you only have traction to put 50 down (and the front drivers will put more down in the wet)
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

fordfocusguy

Post by fordfocusguy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 am

Exactly, which is why we should have had it, cause us front wheeled cars would have WHOOPED SOME ASS!!! Go cars that drag their rear ends around!

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 pm

*shrug* With experienced drivers I've never really seen a big flip in the results between FWD and RWD when it rains. Now AWD on the other hand.....

It rained (poured) on Day 1 in Peru last year for the last three heats and the classes you'd expect to be faster than others, for the most part, still were.

I'm obviously RWD and working in the rain bothers me far, far more than driving in the rain. I used to daily drive this car throughout the Northeast winters using only my summer tires. What's a little rain? :wink:
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:26 am

My experience is more with Road Racing and may or may not apply to SOLO. In road racing where fwd and rwd cars are equalized based on dry condition performance, the fwd cars then absolutely destroy, the rwd cars in the rain.

This is because if you car is only capable of putting 100hp down on corner exit due to reduced traction, and you happen to have 300hp then you can't really use that extra 200 until you get things all lined out. Or for that matter if one car can put down 100 on corner exit and the other only 80, then the car with more traction under acceleration is going to get a better run onto the straight.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:01 pm

I just remember not so long ago that Jonathan, Chris and I prayed for snow to autox in. ;)

I thought that only extreme lightning, tornados & hail would shutdown an AX. Of course we saw that back in June/July Charity AX when the lightningwas blazing, tornado sirens were howling and teh dugout in teh stadium started filling with water. :P And Jonathan running the bases in his sock feet.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing