Pitt State Autocross: directions and motels

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

budweeks

Pitt State Autocross: directions and motels

Post by budweeks » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:46 am

Hello all Pitt State autocrossers,

Pittsburg State University is in--you guessed it--Pittsburg, KS. The autocross will be right behind the football stadium, the same place as last year. The campus address is 1701 S. Broadway, but the stadium is on Joplin St. about three blocks east.

To get to Pittsburg from Springfield, take I-44 west to MO 96, continue west through Carthage on 96 (watch for the exit off 71) until you get to MO 171 N. Turn right (NW) and follow 171 all the way into Kansas. Turn right onto US 69 N and go three miles north to stoplight at Centennial St. Curve right onto Centennial and go straight through the next light (very close) and turn left at the next light after that onto Jopin St. Go north on Joplin St. about 6-8 blocks and you are there.

If you'd rather drive as much on freeways as you can, you could take I-44 to Joplin, go north on 249 until it splits and the ramp curves left into Webb City, where you pick up MO 171 N. Then follow 171 into Kansas. You drive farther, but faster--the same conundrum you encounter in any autocross course.

From Tulsa or points south take I-44 and exit at Miami. Go straight through the light after the tollbooth and follow it (I don't know the number) to US 69 N. Turn right and follow 69 Alt. (not 69) all the way through Quapaw, Baxter Springs, and Crestline to Pittsburg. Then turn at Centennial.

From KC or points north, take 69 S (not 69 Bus through downtown) to the Centennial intersection.

Motels:

There is one close to the event site--an Econo Lodge right at 69 and Centennial, 620-231-8300. One member's wife didn't care for it last year. I have no personal knowledge of it but there is a good Mexican restaurant there.

About three miles north from Centennial on 69 are several, pretty much clustered together. They include, in alphabetical order:
Comfort Inn and Suites, 620-231-8800. (new)
Holiday Inn Express, 620-231-1177.
Holiday Lodge, 620-231-1350. (ask Matt Longpine)
The Lamplighter, 620-231-8700. (nice, and has its own bar)
Super 8, 620-232-1881.

Hope to see you on the 24th.

Bud