Nov 2, 2013 Street Survival Program sponsored/hosted by OMR

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Curtis

Nov 2, 2013 Street Survival Program sponsored/hosted by OMR

Post by Curtis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Ozark Mountain Region SCCA will host/sponsor a Street Survival Teen program on Nov 2 in Ozark, MO. Impactful programs intended to keep Teenage drivers alive and safe on the road, these are an outreach of our national SCCA Foundation.

Information, a good video describing the class, and student registration for our event can be found on streetsurvival.org

Even if you do not have, or know a teen to enter, please take time to watch the video. Many of the same OMR members busy making our other events happen, have also worked very hard putting this event together. There unselfish desire to serve the community is impressive.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

JimR

Post by JimR » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 am

Street Survival happens tomorrow.

We have a couple of instructors out due to funeral. We can double-duty some of the students, but one-to-one ratio is preferred.

If would like to help instruct, post up ASAP and we can get you oriented this evening. All it takes is a grasp of car control and patience to help guide a new driver.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Kudos to Tim Datema and the whole SS school program. well done all.
66 mustang, 72 124 fiat FProduction, 91 miata ES/STS, 95 mustang SM, 97 F150, 99 Neon SF (yes!), 00 911 C4 AS, 05 CLK500, 05 triumph speed four, 06 F250, 07 ducati 1098, 13 330i, & a few cows. 93 miata ES now in Mr France's capable hands, long may she autox.

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:20 pm

I second that. Thank you Tim for all the hard work you put in to make the Street Survival School the success it was today. Thanks to Jinny too for all the organizational help. Speaking as one of the instructors, it was a very good day watching the students learn how better to control their cars, integrate new information about vehicle dynamics, and develop new driving skills. Being involved in this adds a new dimension to being a sports car enthusiast.

Bud

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:30 pm

What a great program. It was hard dragging myself out of bed this morning, but after seeing what these students can do, I'd happily help out again and again. Thanks to Tim for helping do the heavy lifting.

My student was all of five feet all, probably with the ink still drying on her license. She impressed the heck out of me. Very friendly, willing to listen, and no hesitation to throw the car around. Sharp and attentive enough to embarrass most novice autocrossers, I bet.

The parent demonstrations were a lot of fun. Her mom was tickled to see her daughter out there cranking out the driving exercises. What we see as a fairly benign autocross maneuver looks like Mario Andretti to the average driver.

Color me a believer. I am very confident our students can go out and keep themselves out of harm's way when the situation calls for accident avoidance.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD