2014 SCCA MiDiv Convention - Springfield, MO

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

2014 SCCA MiDiv Convention - Springfield, MO

Post by JimR » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:56 pm

2014 Midwest Division SCCA Convention
January 31 - February 2, 2014
Ramada Plaza Hotel & Oasis Convention Center
Springfield, MO

The 2014 Midwest convention is back in Springfield for 2014. It's a gathering of volunteers from all over the division and from all the programs (Solo, RallyCross, ClubRacing, RoadRally).

The full packet and schedule isn't finalized, but start thinking about making it. I would like to see a good local turnout for at least the seminars, especially the safety steward training. Registration is now open if you would like to sign up.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... o2faOLJnyU

$20 - seminars only
$30 - banquet only
$50 - whole weekend

The tentative schedule:

Friday, 1/31/2014
* 6 to 11 PM - registration & social

Saturday, 2/1/2014
* 8AM to midday: seminars on vehicle setup, event organization, safety steward training, etc.
* Early afternoon: Town Hall - general discussion on the state of the various SCCA programs in MiDiv and usually a keynote speaker on SCCA or racing
* Late afternoon: Executive Committee meeting - for upper-level divisional business, typically ClubRacing-based
* 6PM: banquet and divisional awards

Sunday, 2/2/2014
* Morning: typically a region executive meeting

I will be leading a seminar or two on Saturday morning. If there is anything you would like to learn or discuss, let me know and maybe we can network the right resources to make it happen.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

jga0001

Post by jga0001 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Turns out my house is about 3 minutes from the hotel, if anyone wants to save some money and is traveling a long distance or just wants to crash at a legit bachelor pad for a weekend, send me a PM, we might work something out. Might do a trade for food or garage work.

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 am

Al Hermans (MiDiv Solo Steward) and I will be running a combined Solo Safety Steward and RallyCross Safety Steward class during one of the Saturday morning sessions.

If nothing else, come for one stop shopping for your SSS/RXSS certification needs. 8)

flogger

Post by flogger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Jim,
It's high time I redo my SSS certification, but that's the only thing I'd go for. Should I do the motorsportreg.com thing and just show up Saturday @8AM with $20 in hand?
Scott Woosley

JimR

Post by JimR » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't think the convention organizers/volunteers would turn away a walk-up, but most attendees will be coming from outside the host area and typically register in advance. Probably makes handling the registration fees easier and distributing e-mails about schedules and such.

This isn't an OMR-hosted event, so I don't want to speak for them. I bet they would be happy to have anyone as they are, though.

flogger

Post by flogger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:50 am

I'll preregister, it's just that when I glanced at the site I didn't see it asking for money yet. I probably didn't go deep enough. Also, the two times I've taken SSS classes before there was no charge, so, while minor, I'm a little surprised by the need for $20 now. It's no big deal, though. OMR badly needs more SSSs, so I'll do what needs to be done. It's just that it's different from my previous experiences, and that caused me to question it. Thanks.
Scott Woosley

JimR

Post by JimR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 pm

There's normally no charge for taking a SSS class. This one just happens to be one session of the larger MiDiv Convention. The class is usually offered as one of the seminar time slots because it's convenient for everyone who comes to the convention from all over the division.

If someone wants one to ask one of our local SSS instructors when they'd be available, they would probably be up for holding a safety steward session some other time. Those are always free, unless you want to buy that person a beer for their time.

The MiDiv Convention being in Springfield this year just happens to be a very convenient, known opportunity for locals.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 pm

The schedule is out:

The Solo and RallyCross folks will have a chance to take a long lunch and keep the discussion going.