SOLO Event #7 :: 9/14/2014 - Neosho

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

SilverYota

SOLO Event #7 :: 9/14/2014 - Neosho

Post by SilverYota » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:12 pm

OMRSCCA SOLO Event #7
Sunday, Sep 14th, 2014
Crowder Truck Driving School
Neosho, Missouri Map

Register Online!
[Click for online registration powered by MotorsportReg]
Additional MotorsportReg instructions and details here. Please pre-register online to save time on the day of the event.

Event Information Car Numbers and Classes
Car Numbers are exclusive for this season, meaning only one person is allowed to run a number during the entire year no matter what class you are in (e.g. Car number 76 Matt L in STC, you would not be able to use 76 even if you ran a different class). During pre-registration, if a number is not shown when it is time to choose, then it is already in use this year.

Amenities
There are gas stations, WalMart, and fast food on Highway 59 about a mile North of the intersection of MO-D. There is no air available at the site, so prepare accordingly. Our friends at the Crowder College Trucking School usually grill lunch on-site at modest cost.

Directions from Springfield
Take I-44 to US 71 South, and exit at Highway 60 Neosho/Seneca. Go East to the light at US 59/71B (WalMart will be on your right). Turn right to go South on 59, and follow the signs for Crowder College and Highway MO-D. Turn left onto MO-D, and it will take you straight to Crowder College. Once you reach the stop sign at the entrance of Crowder, turn right onto Doniphan and head towards the windmill. Turn left onto National Guard Drive just past the windmill, and follow the SCCA signs and cones to the site.

Coming from somewhere else? Plug it into Google Maps:
[Google Maps - Crowder College]

Site Map - click to view

Run / Work
Typically, half of the classes run in one heat, while other other half help work the event. Then we switch after lunch. Work assignments will be balanced to ensure even work coverage for all stations in all heats. If you show up late to the event or late to your work assignment, you may not be allowed to participate.

If we have over 80 entrants, we will go to a three-heat format:
  • Work heat 1 / Drive heat 3
  • Work heat 2 / Drive heat 1
  • Work heat 3 / Drive heat 2
Crowder College has asked us to sign a waiver at every event in addition to the normal SCCA waiver. If you have access to a printer, please print and fill out a copy in advance so you don't have to stand around filling one out at the gate to the site.
http://www.omrscca.org/docs/CrowderColl ... elease.pdf

Don't hesitate to ask any questions here or via our Facebook page. See you there!
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 pm

We just got word that Crowder College will not be able to provide lunch concessions, just wanted to let everyone know.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Results have been posted.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

JimR

Post by JimR » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Look at this picture that this picture Mickey Hatfield took:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1194_o.jpg

It's amazing. Cones and magnetics everywhere.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:44 am

JimR wrote:Look at this picture that this picture Mickey Hatfield took:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1194_o.jpg

It's amazing. Cones and magnetics everywhere.
The Z looked like it was just hungry for cone stew is all.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I normally don't post much to you tube, but if you are having a hard time going to sleep....

sat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWFgVr ... J2GUmEF0vg

sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vChmZtL ... J2GUmEF0vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-WL_XH ... J2GUmEF0vg

Mark was pretty sneaky with that last run... Just one cone away from being scary close to the top... and that on BFG's that don't appear to be his favorites...

Bud had some nice results. And it was cool to see Justin near the top again...

Matt sabotaged Scott's car to make it 2/2 wins for the weekend.

Too bad Dad couldn't make it to see if we could fit 4 XP cars in a .2 second window!

Martin is ready to do something different, so if you want a great sounding Nismo, I think he's ready to sell or trade...

Jim is drooling for the 2015 Pax... Honestly me too... after 3 straight years of taking a beating, Surely rick will stop the bleeding in DP.

One more event, and then the car comes apart for "Fine Tuning/slight improvements"... Just in case pony car rick does it again :roll: May give the DP effort one more year....

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Congrats to Sam for a great drive both Saturday and Sunday. You are the man!

Yes, the course I did for Saturday was technical, and, yes, it was too tight in a couple of spots. If I were to do it again I would move about 3 cones to open it up some more. But my intent was to make people think about line and car position, which apparently had the desired effect. If the car was in the right place at the right speed you could still go fairly quickly. Thank you all for the positive feedback, and even the gripes. I heard a number of comments from people who said the course helped them learn that they had to learn something new, or to improve on some aspect of their driving.

And it had that effect on me too.....I learned that I need to improve my shifting, up and down, and it helped me to do better on Sunday's course. I figured out that I had to left-foot brake the first half of the course, then right-foot brake with a throttle blip to downshift on the hard right-hander, and then go back to left-foot braking the rest of the way. I did it successfully three times! My brain about melted down.

Sam did a great job on Sunday's course, and I have to admit it was more fun to drive than Saturday's.

Great weekend of autocrossing and thanks to all the hard working folks who make it all possible.

Bud

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am

budweeks wrote:I learned that I need to improve my shifting, up and down, and it helped me to do better on Sunday's course. I figured out that I had to left-foot brake the first half of the course, then right-foot brake with a throttle blip to downshift on the hard right-hander, and then go back to left-foot braking the rest of the way. I did it successfully three times! My brain about melted down.

I didn't start left foot braking till just this year and didn't even attempt the downshift on Saturday. On Sunday I did it (only once sucessfully honestly) and it will just about melt your brain. Now how about Sam on Saturday, was that back to 1st gear 4 times?
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

///msh

Post by ///msh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Well, i wish i could have made it to the two day event to weigh-in on the courses. Having watched Sam's YouTube posts, i have to admit, against all logic, I can see where Zcars could have been very competitive on day 1. I've always said that modern Zcars drivers mistakenly want a good, open, power course (think ZO6), but the car responds better to a track somewhere between that and momentum course where the car has opportunity to turn in and downshift while making use of a moderate level of mid range...anyway, I regret not being able to weigh-in

LOL where Sam said I might, possibly be ready for a change...there's no "possibly" about it. The car is as good as it's ever been, and I think it is 80% of what it could be....it's well developed, but there's still a lot of untapped potential. My goal is to trade for something with a good market value that could be sold or traded-in as a factory/stock/OEM car. At least this way a solo enthusiast can capitalize on the investments I've made. Make no mistake, I plan to compete the car until it sells! Let me know if anyone is interested!