2015 StreetSurvival

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Thorox

2015 StreetSurvival

Post by Thorox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:29 am

Are there plans to do a SOLO Novice School in 2015? Or is the StreetSurvival the only "school" that will be done?

flogger

Re: 2015 StreetSurvival

Post by flogger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 am

There are no plans for a Novice School this year. Last year's event was a first time trial, and while the participants learned a lot and had a lot of fun, the turnout was low - 6 or 8 students total, if I remember right. Given the amount of volunteer effort required, we haven't pursued doing it again this year, but may possibly revisit it in the future.

Street Survival, while a wonderful program, is a different animal entirely. It's not racing oriented and is more about car control, accident avoidance, emergency maneuvers and situational awareness. Although it does touch on cool concepts like smoothness, managing weight transfer and threshold braking vs. engaging ABS, it does so with a non-performance orientation and is in no way intended to make participants faster drivers. It is, however, great and wonderful info and a potentially life saving experience for the young drivers that need it.

Scott Woosley
Solo Director
Last edited by flogger on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Woosley

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Thank you for the clarification, I look forward to bringing our newest driver to the Street Survival class!

flogger

Post by flogger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:35 pm

My advice regarding Street Survival is to sign up early. It's a popular program and spots are limited.
Scott Woosley

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 am

So my son drives a 2000 Durango (which I could not find a roll over rating for to determine if it was eligible) and I assume the Prelude we autocross may not be appropriate for this class (we have to trailer it) so would the best suggestion just me to have him drive my 2004 Stratus?

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:29 am

I know they like to encourage students to drive the vehicle that is normally driven by them, but understand/agree with rollover concerns. Personally I would put my child in a car for this event, even if a truck was allowed.

Anyone else that is more familiar with the rules know if a body on frame mid-size SUV would be allowed?
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:30 am

A sedan like the Stratus, while not the best autocross tool ( and this is coming from a guy who just tried to autocross a mid-sized Mercedes sedan ;-) ) is ideal for Street Survival. We can accommodate trucks and SUVs that are 3 star safety rated for rollover or better, but I prefer cars for safety reasons. Frankly, I think students can learn more about vehicle control in a sedan, anyhow. Also, for eligible SUVs we still have to tone down the emergency lane change maneuvers. The Neosho site isn't very grippy anymore now that they've sealed the asphalt so I'm less concerned about anyone getting up on two wheels, but still, it's something we pay attention to.

The Street Survival website's FAQ page and it's link to NHTSA safety ratings can spell out more specifics for you, but you're right for your case: a 2000 Durango ( which lacks a rollover safety rating ) is ineligible for Street Survival.

We want Street Survival Students to show up in the car they usually drive, as they normally drive it. Part of the day's activities will include a safety inspection of the car and we'll show them how to check fluids and tire pressures and the like.

On a side note, in the past it's amazed me how often students show up with tires that are wildly under or over inflated. This is our opportunity to step in and give them a description of the importance of properly maintaining tire pressure. I'm guessing in the case of your kid we'd be repeating a message he's already heard at home. :D
Scott Woosley

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Okay, we are registered and I just need to know if the minor waiver we submitted for the SCCA Autocross will work for Street Survival or if I need to bring another copy.

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:14 am

Sara might correct me if it has changed, but we used to allow persons to fill out the date line for minor waivers as "All Events 2015" so it would cover the entire year. You would keep your copy and show it at the waiver station for each event attended the rest of the year.

Speaking of, I hope that someone jumped in an assisted Sara last weekend, with a record # of attendees I imagine the waiver station was backed up like registration.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Yes the waiver said ALL SCCA EVENTS at the top, but I didn't keep a copy...

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 am

The 2015 OMR Street Survival School was fantastic!!!

I want to thank all the drivers who gave their time to teach the students and I know that Marshall (and all the other students) gained quite a bit of knowledge and ability from the course. I highly recommend the course to anyone who has a up and coming driver 16-21.

flogger

Post by flogger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:41 am

I'm glad you liked the Street Survival School. Just like as in years past, we've gotten a lot of positive responses.

Now make sure Marshall uses his new found skills for good, not evil. :-)

The techniques taught in the school really are meant for emergencies when on the road, and we strive to end up with more skilled, but not overconfident students at the end of the day. It's also not really meant as a promotion to autocross, but IMHO the skill set for autocross carries over to safe car control on the street in a big way. Managing weight transfer, threshold and/or ABS braking, utilizing the full traction circle, looking ahead, and situational awareness are elements to doing well in both environments. Some autocross experience might be a good call towards bettering him as a driver. Just remember to calm down and shrug off any red mist before heading home after the event.

I echo your thanks to my fellow instructors. They did great, and I really appreciate them giving up their Saturdays so we could hold the event. It's nice to be part of a region that has members like this.
Scott Woosley