SOLO Event #6 :: 8/09/2015 - Neosho

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

SilverYota

SOLO Event #6 :: 8/09/2015 - Neosho

Post by SilverYota » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:55 am

OMRSCCA SOLO Event #6
Sunday, August 9th, 2015
Crowder Truck Driving School
Neosho, Missouri [Map]

Register Online!
[Click for online registration powered by MotorsportReg]
Additional MotorsportReg instructions and details here. Please pre-register online to save time on the day of the event.

Event Information Car Numbers and Classes
Car Numbers are exclusive for this season, meaning only one person is allowed to run a number during the entire year no matter what class you are in (e.g. Car number 10 John Doe in SS, you would not be able to use 10 even if you ran a different class). During pre-registration, if a number is not shown when it is time to choose, then it is already in use this year.

Amenities
There are gas stations, WalMart, and fast food on Highway 59 about a mile North of the intersection of MO-D. There is no air available at the site, so prepare accordingly. Our friends at the Crowder College Trucking School usually grill lunch on-site at modest cost.

Directions from Springfield
Take I-44 to US 71 South, and exit at Highway 60 Neosho/Seneca. Go East to the light at US 59/71B (WalMart will be on your right). Turn right to go South on 59, and follow the signs for Crowder College and Highway MO-D. Turn left onto MO-D, and it will take you straight to Crowder College. Once you reach the stop sign at the entrance of Crowder, turn right onto Doniphan and head towards the windmill. Turn left onto National Guard Drive just past the windmill, and follow the SCCA signs and cones to the site.

Coming from somewhere else? Plug it into Google Maps:
[Google Maps - Crowder College]

Site Map - click to view

Run / Work
Typically, half of the classes run in one heat, while other other half help work the event. Then we switch after lunch. Work assignments will be balanced to ensure even work coverage for all stations in all heats. If you show up late to the event or late to your work assignment, you may not be allowed to participate.

If we have over 80 entrants, we will go to a three-heat format:
  • Work heat 1 / Drive heat 3
  • Work heat 2 / Drive heat 1
  • Work heat 3 / Drive heat 2
Crowder College has asked us to sign a waiver at every event in addition to the normal SCCA waiver. If you have access to a printer, please print and fill out a copy in advance so you don't have to stand around filling one out at the gate to the site.
http://www.omrscca.org/docs/CrowderColl ... elease.pdf

Don't hesitate to ask any questions here or via our Facebook page. See you there!
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

flogger

Re: SOLO Event #6 :: 8/09/2015 - Neosho

Post by flogger » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm

The forecast is for a hot day. Bring extra water, sunscreen and shade if possible.

Tim Datema is going to be Sunday's course designer. He made a very interesting/challenging course for us earlier this year and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with this time.

Due to scheduling conflicts we'll be missing 3 or 4 from our regular core of volunteers who normally cover key positions, but I've got some other responsible and capable members lined up who've agreed to perform these duties. It's nice to organize things like this when I have some depth of talent to call upon. Thanks to everyone who's doing their part - including those of you who preregister. 8)
Scott Woosley

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:52 am

On Sunday night I cleaned up the results, audited them against the backup timing sheets, and passed on the files so the results can be posted to the omrscca website. They should be posted shortly.

I got nearly all of the info correct during awards at the end of the event, but I mistakenly still had Tim and a couple others in the wrong class at that point. Oops. Basically, we had different people than usual operating the T&S equipment and it was my first time using the AXWare software. I had successfully transferred the preregistration info from motorsportreg prior to the event (with Matt's help via phone call), but this was my first time using AXWare, so I didn't really understand some of the weird ways to handle certain anomalies. For instance, I spotted one competitor for whom I was showing DNS results for all runs which I knew wasn't right, and then there were 16 others with the same status, which worried me greatly. It turns out we just had an inordinate number of people who preregistered and then did not attend the event (probably due to the temp forecast) and without data cleanup they all showed as DNS. Now I know. There were 3 other competitors misclassed and one with an incorrect car number which I had to clean up after the event. There were also 2 instances of the backup timing sheets getting out of sequence, but it was obvious what had happened during the audit. I don't think any of this affected class awards, and I know it didn't affect the top ten in PAX.

It took a huge amount of extra effort by a number of people to begin to cover for our handful of missing regular core volunteers, and these guys really came through. These are people who typically help extra in the first place, I just had to ask them to step up their level of responsibilities and work effort even more. I owe special thanks to Alisha and Jason Mulkey, Bobby Jasan, Tim Datema, Kent Willer, Paul Smith, Bud Weeks, Gregg McNabb, Jason and Bob Heisler, Karen Wilson, Mark Foley and Opie Viets. I'm sure there are more people who I'm forgetting to list right now, but basically the people above took on extra work assignments and so forth to make the event happen. Thanks to you all.

I'm pleased with the continued improvement in reliability of the T & S equipment. I'm only aware of one instance of a timing issue where the lights didn't get triggered at this event and there appeared to be a minimum of delays.

Just like earlier this year, Tim designed an interesting course. It had a combination of low and high speed sections with a variety of curves and other elements which required very different approaches. I like mixing it up and challenging myself as a driver in this way and it's fun to note the different course designers' signatures. I hope you guys enjoyed it too.

It was hot. Dangerously so. For instance, I gave special instructions to the other Solo Safety Stewards to keep an eye out for people that were overheating. The last thing we wanted was to file an incident report for heatstroke. That's not something that SSSes normally have to remember to look for. Heck, I even got myself badly overheated while swapping wheels and loading my car after running in the first heat and I had to sit in Bobby's truck to get some A/C on me. Thanks a ton, Bobby - ice water and shade just wasn't dropping my core temp quickly enough, but your A/C did the trick.

I had arranged for extra water, Gatorade and ice to be brought for this event by Paul. It wound up taking 2 extra trips by Tim and Alisha for about 100 more waters and 40 lbs of ice each trip during the course of the event, too. Yikes.

Oh, and there was one other snafu that nearly none of the competitors know about. When I arrived to to open the gates, there were ~100 cones already out on the tarmac left there by the trucking school. The lot had to be cleared of their cones before we could begin setting up our course. Some of the people I mentioned above (most notably Paul Smith and Kent Willer) who arrived extra early helped Tim clear the lot and then setup the course. This was an unexpected hassle, but these guys hustled there butts off and handled it in such a way that practically no one would have noticed and the event started very nearly on time as a result. Special thanks to you guys.
Scott Woosley

mpower413

Post by mpower413 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:21 am

Sounds like it was to hot for the BMW and Me. Even though I was not there this time many thanks should go to the event organizers who put on one of smoothest operating solos in the area. Case in point the cones being left on the course. Thanks Scott for the hard work you do!

Zack Peters and the overheating BMW

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:58 am

Results have been posted.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

markyf

Post by markyf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 am

That was a great event! Everything was very well organized. I didn't think I was able to help very much so thanks for all your work, guys. It was a fun course, too!
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD