Event #5 July 24, 2016

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

SilverYota

Event #5 July 24, 2016

Post by SilverYota » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Results have been posted
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Kent

Re: Event #5 July 24, 2016

Post by Kent » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you for all your hard work out there and then getting the results posted so fast! :D

Looks like the link to the class results have an extra "Class", clicking it brings a 404

JimR

Post by JimR » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Event report for those not there:

The forecast called for a double secret probation heat warning, which probably cut the turnout by a third. We were heavy on regulars, plus a few new faces and a first-timers. Good mix. Workers and drivers cooperated well to make for an efficient event. We started the driver's meeting at 10 AM sharp, and had cars on course at 10:15 AM, a sort of marvel for any autocross. Throwing in a 40-minute lunch break, we still got six runs and finished by 1:00 PM.

Those who opted to stay home in the AC missed a pretty decent event. Morning clouds kept the temperatures capped until halfway through the event. Hot, but not terribly so. Kent and I set up a brisk and brief (30-something second range) course to keep cone wrangling and worker fatigue to a minimum. Lots of late apex sweeper and transition work that rewarded being ahead of the car.

Mark Foley, Sam Henry, and Kent Willer topped pax, and Glen Moore of Red Zombie Racing provided them with some neat trophies memorializing Forrest Tindall. Notably, Charlie Holt announced his arrival by finishing fourth is PAX. Summer on street tires in a heavy muscle car is not normally the domain of the fast, but he whipped a lot of us.

Thanks to all the volunteer help. And the donuts. I had donuts for breakfast and lunch, because I'm an adult.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:23 am

Kent wrote: Looks like the link to the class results have an extra "Class", clicking it brings a 404
Thanks for letting us know, the link is fixed now.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:18 am

Man, was it hot out there. No, not as hot as it could have been but plenty hot enough. At one point I thought I saw flames coming out from under Mark Foley's tires but I guess that was just because he was going so fast.

I was discombobulated from the start. First run....no numbers on the car and I forgot to check tire pressures. Second run, I had forgotten to take my cell phone out of my pocket and someone called me while I'm staging. Forth run, I realize I have no helmet on when my helmet rolls out of the passenger seat and hits me in the arm. As Chase Gordon said, I was "playing my rookie card."

The course was fine....just not for my car. I was between gears just about everywhere. I could have used a 1 1/2 gear. I was way low on my miniscule torque curve everywhere but the slalom, but that was not very long.

Congrats to Mark Foley and Sam Henry, the two fastest folks, and to Kent and Charlie too. Thanks to Jim for the course and Matt as always getting the results out quickly.

Let's do it again in August!

Bud

markyf

Post by markyf » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:18 am

That was a good course, challenging, and probably not favoring any particular cars. Thanks for all you guys' work!
That was a super close PAX finish, thanks for holding back, Sam.
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD