Safety Steward Training - Feb 5, Springfield

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

Safety Steward Training - Feb 5, Springfield

Post by JimR » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Here's your chance to learn a needed skill in our club, and start training to be a safety steward in two different programs. The only pre-requisite is to be a SCCA member (or join the SCCA soon after).

Solo & RallyCross Safety Steward Training
- Sunday, February 5, 2017
- Ramada Oasis Convention Center, Springfield, MO [Map]
- Time TBD (morning), roughly 90 minutes
- No cost

Al Hermans (MiDiv Solo Development Coordinator) and myself (MiDiv RallyCross Steward) will be hosting a combined Solo Safety Steward (SSS) and RallyCross Safety Steward (RXSS) training class. Each is a separate endorsement, but the sit-down training is very similar. Attending this specific class will qualify as the seminar training session for both.

Solo Safety Steward
  • SSS endorsements are now good for three years between renewals
  • New SSS applicants: take a training session (like this one), then shadow an existing SSS at two Solo events.
  • Renewal SSS license: in a given three-year period, take a training session (like this one) and be a SSS during at least five events.
RallyCross Safety Steward
  • RXSS endorsements do not currently expire, but a three-year training refresher may be instituted in the future.
  • New RXSS applicants: take a training session (like this one), and train with a RXSS at two RallyCross events. Highly seasoned SSS may be signed off after shadowing only one RallyCross event at the discretion of the RX divisional steward.
We have held a combined SSS and RXSS session for several years on the Sunday following the Midwest Division SCCA convention. This year it is our home region, making it an easy opportunity to knock out some valuable training.

Related info:
- 2017 MiDiv Convention
- SCCA Forms (rulebooks, safety steward applications, etc.)
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Thorox

Re: Safety Steward Training - Feb 5, Springfield

Post by Thorox » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Do we need to bring anything to the training session(s) as far as paperwork?

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Nothing is necessary to take the class.

For the Solo Safety Steward application, the instructor will sign off on a line in the SSS application. Copies should be available at the class, but if you want to get a jump on things, feel free to print off a copy and fill out your information.

https://www.scca.com/downloads/3324-sol ... n/download

For the RallyCross Safety Steward application, nothing needs to be printed or signed until all training and event shadowing is complete.

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 am

I'm now getting word that Sunday safety steward training is still part of the official convention, and will require the $20 registration for the seminars and conference room fees.

If you want RXSS training, let me know. I can get that started for you one way or the other.

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:20 am

So if we are planning on attending, we need to register at the motorsportsreg.com link and select the Saturday seminars $20 option?
Once we have done so, we can attend both Solo and RallyX Sunday seminars?

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:37 am

Yes, it looks like registering for the $20 seminars on MotorsportReg is the ticket. It also gets you into the Saturday morning seminars, which can be good learning and collaboration time.

Charging to become a SSS or RXSS isn't the intent, but there has historically been a safety steward session as part of the convention to serve all the people coming to one place. We could probably arrange a safety steward training session later ourselves, but I wanted to point this out as a good opportunity for locals.

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am

In case the $20 registration fee presents a hardship for anybody wanting to become a SSS or RXSS, I've been contacting fellow board members for approval for compensation for a limited number of people who incur this expense. No guarantees, as the process is ongoing and not yet put to vote, but it seems reasonable to me. I think we can probably work something out.

Anyhow, the Midiv convention schedule is posted:

http://www.midiv.org/PDF/misc/2017ConvSch.pdf
Scott Woosley

thojoewen86

Post by thojoewen86 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 am

I was unable to make it to the convention this weekend, but would be interested in Safety Steward training if it was arranged within omrscca. Please let us know if this is an option moving forward

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 am

Justin Huffman is a licensed SSS instructor in our region, and mentioned that the easiest possibility is having the training right before a monthly club meeting. These meetings are usually on the second Tuesday of the month (exception: this month's meeting on 2/21/2017, due to Valentine's Day) in Springfield.

If that doesn't work, what would be best for people?

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:42 am

I'm happy to have a class on Friday July 7th during MiDiv registration. It could be held in the back room of the registration building.
You would be able to shadow both days of the event during your off heat. This would allow you to complete everything necessary in one weekend!
If several members want a head start, I have no problem hosting one before a board meeting. Chime in and let me know what works best for everyone.
Justin
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:58 am

Excellent idea by Justin to also host a SSS class on the Friday of our Midiv event. I really like how this could help out some neighboring regions, too. My only request is that I be allowed to put a cap (maybe 4? maybe 6? - I dunno yet) on how many SSS deputies shadow SSSes during the Midiv event. We have lots of hands on work assignments that need to be done that weekend, and I want us to continue to do a good job in hosting the rest of the division. If there are any extra people that need to shadow SSSes to fulfill their SSS certification requirements, that can of course be done at other events. The more people the better, for the class, though.

Scott
Scott Woosley

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:43 am

I was thinking they should shadow/mentor during their off heat and do a work assignment as well assuming we have 3 heats. I realize it would be a busy day and in the July heat maybe not desireable but it would be up to the SSS in training if they wanted to or not.
It would be difficult to allow that as the only work assignment since we would be uncertain of who's attending and we need to assign work assignments before Friday.
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.