2017 OMR SCCA SOLO Event #3 5/21/2017 At Crowder College

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

flogger

2017 OMR SCCA SOLO Event #3 5/21/2017 At Crowder College

Post by flogger » Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Scott Woosley

flogger

Re: 2017 OMR SCCA SOLO Event #3 5/21/2017 At Crowder College

Post by flogger » Sat May 20, 2017 5:52 am

66 preregistered
Forecast is clear and dry, 61 degrees at first car on course and high of 71. Near perfect.
See you Sunday, everyone.
Scott Woosley

flogger

Post by flogger » Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 am

85 participants, 76 entrants
excellent weather, great course and a whole bunch of helpers who came through strongly, as usual. :-)

Also, some terrific competition was had. In PAX, the top 13 were all within 0.434 seconds of the winner, top ten were all within 0.371 seconds, top 3 within 0.074 seconds, and the gap from 1st to second was 0.003 seconds! Those are some exciting and close results!

Results are audited and posted:

http://omrscca.org/results

Also, I'd like to extend a giant THANK YOU to Bud Weeks for letting me codrive his new Mini after my engine started making bad rod noises during my first run.
Scott Woosley

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 pm

A great day autocrossing! As Scott noted, very close competition with the top 13 in PAX within .4 sec. It's more fun when it's like that.

Congrats to Brad Holiday for top PAX, and to Kent Willer, for not only a good course but for being just a tiny tick behind Brad. And for Charlie Holt for a great last run to climb into 3rd.

Very sorry about the motor in your Rabbit, Scott. That little engine gave all it could for what, 200K miles?

A little feedback about my work assignment in timing and scoring. I usually work safety steward so I have little experience in the stuff that goes on in the trailer, especially with the new timing system this year. I somehow missed, or forgot, one important part of my timing work assignment. Something that might be helpful would be a sheet with a simple job description for everyone who is doing T&S work. It is something that could be referred to at the start of every heat so everyone knows their roles. 2nd heat had a bunch of T&S newbies, or near newbies, and we were sometimes at a loss to know who does what. Just an idea.

Nevertheless, it all came off just fine and I heard feedback that OMR is friendly and does a great job with autocrosses.

Also thanks to those souls who bought the tires and wheels. My garage looks a lot better now!

Bud

flogger

Post by flogger » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Bud, WRT your work assignment, you did fine and I heard no complaints. In auditing I noticed just a few more errant pieces of data to clean for the second heat than for the first heat, but nothing alarming and it was mostly easy to clean up. Actually, I should say it was only conceptually easy to clean, because the specific methodology required some focus on my part because my brain kept wanting to think of the required changes from the perspective of how I'd do it under the old software rather than with the new. I waited until this morning for some of the more challenging corrective transactions so I could approach them with a freshly rested brain.

When I get a chance we'll talk privately about what sort of specific instructions we might want to spell out for certain work assignments in the future. I think the new stuff is working really well, but you're right in that there's always room for improvement.
Scott Woosley

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Mon May 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Great weather and great event hope lots of people tried out the new live timing and scoring. I looked at it some and thought it was great to be able to see what was going on while the event was still happening. Any feedback or suggestions for the live timing/scoring would be appreciated.

Adding to that, the new software seems to be holding up well, now if we could just get Windows to not force an update right in the middle of the event :roll: . Bud makes a good point about having some sheets hung up in the trailer with job descriptions, with the new software splitting up jobs and allowing people to step out of the trailer it kind of caused the issue that he was specifically talking about. In the past it would have never happened because everyone would be in the trailer right next to each other. All in all I thought the trailer did a great job during that heat since everyone was almost brand new in there. Opie especially, because I know how much he hates computers and yet he caught the couple of things that happened very quickly. Let's give him a couple of more times with a little bit of training and he'll be fixing everything on the fly 8).

A little busy right now but I will start a new post and try to collect information on all those jobs.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

rtp.rick

Post by rtp.rick » Tue May 23, 2017 4:54 am

It appears you're using an early download of the PAX/RTP factors. For both of your events, CS, FS, SS & HCS have different values than the ones used.
CS should be 0.810
FS should be 0.804
SS should be 0.826
and HCS should be 0.809.

All of the 2017 factors can be viewed here: http://solotime.info/pax/rtp2017.html

Thanks,
Rick Ruth

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 am

rtp.rick wrote:It appears you're using an early download of the PAX/RTP factors. For both of your events, CS, FS, SS & HCS have different values than the ones used.
CS should be 0.810
FS should be 0.804
SS should be 0.826
and HCS should be 0.809.

All of the 2017 factors can be viewed here: http://solotime.info/pax/rtp2017.html

Thanks,
Rick Ruth
Man this guy is good, thank you Rick for catching this and even more for all the work you put into making these indexes for all of the rest of us.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

///msh

Post by ///msh » Fri May 26, 2017 6:11 pm

It appears that most everyone, if not everyone, is in consensus regarding the T&S job descriptions/work instructions so, I'll comment on the LIVE T&S. In short it's awesome. I got to use it as both competitor looking to see how I was doing against the competition, and as announcer who needed real time car, class, and performance information readily available. It served quite effectively in both scenarios. The more tabs, and hyperlinks within the tabs that I explored the more I appreciated the tool. I did find a somewhat buried hyperlink that told the competitor all he/she cared about :D

I heard some ramblings about people loosing connectivity...to that i can only speak to those with an Apple devise. There were two options... (A), you could turn off the cellular connection, and/or (B), you could prioritize Wifi over Cellular. As for Android or other platforms, I suspect they have their respective management options, but i'm not the guy to speak to those specifics.

The only other issue that I heard of, and actually experienced, was the overlap of some data due to screen size/aspect ratio...not sure what to say other than this was a very minor inconvenience that I hope gets debugged, but the benefits far outweighed this little nuesance.

Oh yeah, the device given to the announcer should have the timed screen saver disabled....nothing like the data disappearing as you are announcing from it. :o

In short order, there will be some very spoiled OMR members who will be sorely disappointed when/if they travel to other club events that don't have such a convenience feature.

Congrats to OMR for taking a big step forward.