OMR Solo #6, 8/6/17

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

budweeks

OMR Solo #6, 8/6/17

Post by budweeks » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Hey All,

That was a fun format today and I hope we can do it again....maybe a couple of times a year. Yes, I know it is more hassle and it takes longer because of one more changeover, setting a different course, and double entering in the computer. But it brought out some different strategies. With only three runs, each one become more important and it puts pressure on to make sure you get a clean one, which I didn't in the afternoon. It was also good experience to compete on two courses in one day.

Thanks to the two course builders....Kent and Sam and their helpers. I thought both courses were good with "yehaw" places and thinking places.

Congrats to Jason Mulkey for his first top PAX! It's good to see new blood at the top. Also to Kent for a nice 2nd place. Kent, I think this may put you in the lead for Autocrosser of the Year....eh?

Thanks once again for the trophies provided by Glen Moore of Red Zombie Racing.

Good luck to all those who go the the Lincoln Midiv and/or nationals.

Bud
Last edited by budweeks on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

springfielddyno

Re: OMR Solo #5, 8/6/17

Post by springfielddyno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 am

Bud. I think I agree on every point and suggestion. The three runs brought back that national focus a little. I know it caught some out like my codriver who ended up with three Dnfs in the afternoon. It makes every run count for sure.

After blowing up a second turbo engine in a month I almost didn't attend, but I'm glad I did.

Super proud of Mulkey for his first pax!
Kent sure seems to be on his way to a first AOY! Just solid driving.

Sam

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 am

What a Day of Autocross!

Thank you to all that pitched in making this event run. We were without a number of key folks and many of you stepped in and got it done.

The rain was a wonderful experience in the morning. I searched for grip and never found it, it was great driver training for me.

The 3 run format was a perfect fit for the weather, both heats had a wet course in the morning and a dry course in the afternoon. I would love to see the 3 run format happen again.

I'm glad you guys liked the morning course, I think it would have drove better in the dry. AXer of the year is still a battle, three more events and there are a few that can grab it. I'll drive my best!

Off to Lincoln this weekend for the MiDiv B Street battle! I have to beat the Red Corvette!

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 am

I must say Bud and Jason just outdrove us by a mile in the morning runs! Great driving both of you!

Congrats on your first PAX win Jason!

flogger

Re: OMR Solo #6, 8/6/17

Post by flogger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I agree with all of the above, but I need to clarify: that event is actually correctly referred to "Event #6". (I've edited my reply's subject) Event #2 has only been postponed due to flooding. No big deal, I just don't want people confused.
The additional workload and time required for this format is significant. In a sense, we were lucky with the low turnout due to rain. We not only got done quicker due to fewer total runs (even though there were some rain related timing sensor issues) but by having 2 grids our changeover times were reduced by quite a bit.
As usual, lots of people pitched in when it was needed, and I needed lots of help without Matt or the Huffmans in attendance. While he's always a big help, I don't think I've seen Paul quite that early in the morning. ;-) Thanks, Paul.
Also, extra special thanks to the following:
Glen Moore for going above and beyond with trophies.
Gregg McNabb who came and worked all day (including Chief of Tech, backup T&S and end of day trailer duty) even though he didn't compete. Wow.
The Heislers, who both take on a wide variety of roles and I count on more than I probably should.
And Brandon Gray, who's diving in to this sport headfirst by coming early to assist in course setup and handled the computer during his work assignment.
Thanks to everyone else. And to those of you who stayed away due to the weather forecast - you missed out on a fun event.
Scott Woosley

mulkio

Post by mulkio » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 am

Wow, what a fun day! I really liked the format, maybe we could do it again at an invitational event to keep entrants limited. Course design was top notch! The wet in the morning was really exciting, as I went into the first right after the start I stabbed the brakes and initiated a four wheel slide for probably 15 feet.. wow :shock: I thought I was sitting pretty until Bud got that magic rerun. In the afternoon one could carry so much speed from the east side all the way down the south side! :D Thanks for all the congratulations, coming from you guys, that means alot to me!

P.S. Sitting in my car watching Bud and Jim's times on my phone with only 3 runs to do anything about it was slightly stressfull!
J. MULKEY
17 WRX
# 8 DS

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:57 am

mulkio wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 am
Wow, what a fun day! I really liked the format, maybe we could do it again at an invitational event to keep entrants limited. Course design was top notch! The wet in the morning was really exciting, as I went into the first right after the start I stabbed the brakes and initiated a four wheel slide for probably 15 feet.. wow :shock: I thought I was sitting pretty until Bud got that magic rerun. In the afternoon one could carry so much speed from the east side all the way down the south side! :D Thanks for all the congratulations, coming from you guys, that means alot to me!

P.S. Sitting in my car watching Bud and Jim's times on my phone with only 3 runs to do anything about it was slightly stressfull!
That is awesome Jason!

Your driving was superb Sunday. I loved hearing about your runs on course. Any Video to share?

D Street battle is heated for sure