2018 Solo #8 8/12

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

flogger

2018 Solo #8 8/12

Post by flogger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 am

Coming up this Sunday.

We've got Martin Henry designing a course, with an eye towards approximating more of a National level event's characteristics. Consider it a tribute to the Nats, and also practice for our members who are going to Lincoln early next month.

Paddock will be on the entrance drive by the tower, and on the "small lot" to the west of the course on the big lot, much like what we do for our MiDiv event. Start will be in the SE quadrant and finish to the west of there, and as part of the plan to try something completely different, grid will be along the blocked off access road to the South of the big lot. This allows the course to be BIG.

As of now, the forecast looks good, but with a chance of scattered thundershowers later in the afternoon, so as always, we'll plan on starting promptly and moving the event along at a brisk pace.

I'm missing a couple key volunteers for this event (mostly due to road racing) and the layout will be big and therefore a little more demanding WRT setup, teardown and even cornerworking, so if you'd like to step up and volunteer to help with a little more than a standard work assignment, I'd appreciate it. I'm especially looking for help with unloading the trailer at ~6:50, and also reloading and then hauling the trailer back to it's parking spot at the end of the day. The more hands the better on this stuff. Most or all of you who are likely to do this already have all my contact info. If not, ask around, or PM me here. This should be a good event.
Scott Woosley

flogger

Re: 2018 Solo #8 8/12

Post by flogger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I scrambled for volunteers, but got the last of what I needed (and then a couple extra people, too) in the nick of time. I'll try to remember all the appropriate people to thank when I have more time. In the meantime, thank you everybody.

Results are posted.
Scott Woosley

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:29 am

Smooth running day, the rain stayed away for the most part. I liked using the south road as grid, that opened up so much of the lot for course.

As for the past two courses favoring Horsepower over Autocross driving, I sure would like to see the next three courses setup with a balance of momentum and flow with no necessary first gear downshifts. On this last course, my right foot was on the floor between every "turn" as in start to finish except in the 270 or 180's. That was a bunch of time waiting for the next element with nothing to do but wish I had more HP.

It was a fun course to drive, and I know I could have driven it better. Better driving on my part would have never made up the gap though.

Thanks to all that pitched in and helped make the event run. OMR is full of great folks.

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 am

"That course we ran last Sunday, that was a lot of exercise, wasn't it?"

"Exercise? You mean walking it because it was longer?"

"No, not exactly. Exercise shifting."

"Shifting? Wha'd'ya' mean shifting."

"I shifted 9 times each lap. After thinking about it I should have shifted 2 more times."

"Nine times! That's crazy. What for?"

"Well, I've got a small motor. Actually it was somewhat of a success for me."

"A success? You finished 2nd in class and 9th on PAX. How is that a success?"

Well, I didn't miss a shift all day and it was very good practice. Keeps the brain in good shape....builds new neural pathways. In my first Mini....and you know Minis even have synchros on reverse....I shifted into reverse a couple of times. I don't recommend that for a good autocross time. That didn't happen Sunday."

"Yeah, I see what you mean."

"And I even picked up some autocross wisdom from Sam, the top PAX man. That's always valuable."

"OK."

"And I got to see Jason get a good run and top in DS. Good for Jason."

"I see."

"And I didn't back into anyone. No one keeled over from heat stroke. Overall a good day."

"I got it. I got it."

"Did you have a good time?"

"Now that I think about it, I had a better time than I thought."

"Good. Hope you come back next time."

Bud