2018 Solo #9 9/17

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

flogger

2018 Solo #9 9/17

Post by flogger » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Excellent event! Great weather, good turnout, outstanding course.
That was one of my favorite events in recent memory. Thank you to everyone.

Results are posted: http://omrscca.org/Solo2Results/2018/September/fin.html
Scott Woosley

budweeks

Re: 2018 Solo #9 9/17

Post by budweeks » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:00 pm

What an interesting course. Mark Foley designed a course for drivers, I think, that demanded correct lines, right braking points, and some discipline. Just because Mark ended up top PAX (congrats to Mark) does not suggest it was a course built for his car. The PAX results show a variety of types of cars and horsepower ratings all doing well. I felt challenged and it was fun to drive especially when you did it right. The next-to-the-last turn, that increasing radius right-hander that flowed into the full-throttle slalom....that was just wonderful!

It took me some time to figure out how to drive it. At first it seemed I was in someone else's car....felt out-of-synch....and then frustrated when I ran the same times 3 times in a row. And I can't fully explain how I dropped a second over my last two runs. One thing that is apparent is that when I finally began braking earlier, turning earlier, and getting on the power earlier, my times came down.

Thanks as always to Scott for his efforts to keep things organized, and to all who set up, put away, registered, tech'd, waiver'd, worked the course, safety'd, timed, announced, and just generally helped do something.

As an aside, I am changing the work designation for safety to SSSS....Solo Safety & Services Steward....but I'm going to have to start charging a fee for each bottle of water I deliver. ;-)

Bud

markyf

Post by markyf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Well, I'm glad at least a couple people liked the course. Many people were saying it was "interesting" or "busy". I really enjoyed driving it. I didn't want it to be easy or be strictly determined by power or handling. Of course after driving it, I would have probably opened it up a little more in a place or 2.
The only reason I came out on top of PAX over Bud's extremely fast driving was that I had 7 practice runs before my final winning run. I was very lucky (I found a heads up penny on the lot that morning) to get a couple re-runs (and no, none of the ones that counted were "hot laps").
Thanks to Opie and Keith Jones for helping me and I also thank all the other helpers!
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 am

I think you put together a very challenging Autocross course that was fun to drive, and made the driver work for the time on course. I know I left some time out there, just didn’t find it to keep up with these experienced guys.

Data tells me it still favored horsepower over handling, due to the numerous digs from 20-50mph. Walking the course I had the opposite impression, driving I was too busy to notice.

Mark, you put together a very good course, even more so for the fact that you had not done one for a few decades.

Kent

bholliday

Post by bholliday » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Kent,

I would like to see your data sometime. When I design my courses I assume that a car like yours or mine can sustain 1.10 G's in the sweepers. Back in the day (2003), it seems like Ann and I were hitting 1.2 to 1.3 G's in the S2000 on race tires.

From memory, the sweepers on my course for the next event are in 60 - 80 ft radius range, which means you would be pulling out of the turns at around 31 - 36 mph. The transitions should be in the 45-55 mph range. Top speed should be under 60 mph (in my car).

Brad
Brad Holliday

Kent

Post by Kent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm

bholliday wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm
Kent,

I would like to see your data sometime. When I design my courses I assume that a car like yours or mine can sustain 1.10 G's in the sweepers. Back in the day (2003), it seems like Ann and I were hitting 1.2 to 1.3 G's in the S2000 on race tires.

From memory, the sweepers on my course for the next event are in 60 - 80 ft radius range, which means you would be pulling out of the turns at around 31 - 36 mph. The transitions should be in the 45-55 mph range. Top speed should be under 60 mph (in my car).

Brad
Brad,

The main data I'm looking at is speed. All of these are accelertion examples from on course: 20-45, 25-50, 30-50, 27-50, 28-58. With that many increased speed ranges a lower HP and Torque car will suffer. An AP1 S2000 may have some HP, but only at the moment it can see 8,500 RPMs and up.