2018 Postseason Solo 11/18

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

flogger

2018 Postseason Solo 11/18

Post by flogger » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Event is now open to non annual members, but please, only sign up for this if you've run an OMR Solo before.
Still no karts allowed - the format simply doesn't allow for them to be run safely by SCCA standards.
Format is planned to include a handicapped Australian Pursuit with course design by Sam Henry. Should be fun.
Also, I expect lots of testing, tuning, and tire killing.
Preregistration is required because we have a cap on attendance. Proceeds (after special minimal sanction/insurance fee) go to charity.
Scott Woosley

flogger

Re: 2018 Postseason Solo 11/18

Post by flogger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Well, rats. The forecast temps are too low. At the board meeting this evening a vote was taken and the postseason event is postponed indefinitely, with the hope that there may be a warmer Sunday when we can get together and have some fun. As it stands now, the overnight low is forecast to be ~20 and the daytime high ~39 or 40. The consensus was that that this would make for miserable people and nobody's tires would work. Race tires actually get damaged in temps like these. If we're able to add an extra event, we're geared up to be able to pull the trigger quickly for it. In the meantime, I'm going to feel good about our 11 event season. Thanks, everyone.
Scott Woosley

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:15 pm

What an interesting autocross Sam put together yesterday....Australian Pursuit it was called. I didn't pursue any Australians that I know of, didn't see any kangaroos either, but I had a good time.

And what a different experience! It was:
1. A different mental game. Normally I like to think and contemplate between runs....maybe change the car setup or tire pressures, maybe drive some part of the course differently. In this event there was no way to do any of that except on the go. Once a match-up begins you are in the heat of competition until you win or lose. It was a good exercise to me to drive the course as I saw it rather than from a mental picture. And not only that, you have to remember which starting line you used to begin your run, and then be sure you do two laps.
2. A different physical game. Even though it was a nice day, it is December for crying out loud, and I don't think I ever worked up a sweat from exertion just driving in an autocross before. I took a total of 22 laps (11 double laps) in the first event.
3. A different mechanical game. I have never had an issue with my brakes at any autocross before, but I found I had no brakes after a series of match-ups. Thanks to Charlie Holt for allowing me time over lunch for my brakes to cool so I could continue the event. Note to self: bleed the brakes in the off-season.

Thanks to Sam for his organizational expertise in creating something fun and challenging. Could this be an annual thing?

By the way, who won the second event?

Bud

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Charlie won second heat with solid runs all day.

Judah and I both out with mechanicals. Steering for him and electrical for me.

A long day but lots of runs. Trailer loaded a few minutes before sunset.

Thanks for the kind words.