aug 25

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:40 pm

They did a number on us today, but we pulled through.

At 7:30AM, the lot was a disaster. Five abandoned vehicles, a John Deer tractor, gooseneck trailer, jumbo rolloff dumpster, and half a dozen moving trucks/semis/buses blocked up the lot. Country music B-star Dierks Bentley, which sounds like the most made-up name ever, had 4,000 fans lousy up the lot with moist underwear, beer bottles, shoes, mud, beer bottles, pylons, and beer bottles. Natty Ice, for the classy drinker.

Course setup was late and slow going, and the rain early made chalk and flour lines useless. It didn't help that the trucking company had managed to tear up the pavement in a few key places. And the timing box broke.

But I'll say it: I loved the course, even though we had to modify it to skirt some immovable hazards. Pace and spacing was spot-on in my car, it flowed, and it had line choice in spades. The problem was that not looking ahead punished heavily, and I fear course reading at speed with puddles instead of flour lines generated a fair number of DNFs. It's hard to create juicy offsets and reward/punish apex opportunities without adding challenge.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:17 am

I for one loved it! I didnt get to walk it so I had to stay super alert while driving. it felt great to be going fast not knowing the track and doing what I felt was good! :) yall should try not walking the course lol it was a totaly different exp than normal. think about a spirited drive on a road you had never been on. your on edge not really sure what the next turn is so your hyper alert :D loved it!!!
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

vdub kirk

Post by vdub kirk » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:12 pm

I also loved the course. . . . .sucked it up thoroughly. . . . . but loved it. the spots for big weight shifts and elevation changes were great. i really didnt know that the lot had that much eleveation change. what do you expect in the ozarks tho. i am a noob virgin rookie greenhorn and i was shown a lot of love so thanks for that. im hooked and ill be back. thank you all. sorry i had to dip out early and didnt help clean after. i knew i would have to and was only about 2 1/2 hrs late for work but i tried to pick up crap early to make up a little.
duffstudswoop in a jetta 1.8t
some say the outline of his left areola is the exact same as the Nurburgring Nordschleife. . . all we know is . . . he's called, "The Stig!"

markyf

Post by markyf » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:54 pm

I liked the course, too. I felt like I could start gassing it way before I could see where I was going, so I just had to look ahead and hang on.
We like when new people come out and share the fun. It's easy to get hooked on it. We all share the same traits: we are adrenaline junkies.
For the new guys: Things usually proceed faster and we usually get at least 5 runs each. Come on back next time on Sept 16. The course is set up different every event.
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:11 pm

JimR wrote:They did a number on us today, but we pulled through.

At 7:30AM, the lot was a disaster. Five abandoned vehicles, a John Deer tractor, gooseneck trailer, jumbo rolloff dumpster, and half a dozen moving trucks/semis/buses blocked up the lot. Country music B-star Dierks Bentley, which sounds like the most made-up name ever, had 4,000 fans lousy up the lot with moist underwear, beer bottles, shoes, mud, beer bottles, pylons, and beer bottles. Natty Ice, for the classy drinker.

Course setup was late and slow going, and the rain early made chalk and flour lines useless. It didn't help that the trucking company had managed to tear up the pavement in a few key places. And the timing box broke.

But I'll say it: I loved the course, even though we had to modify it to skirt some immovable hazards. Pace and spacing was spot-on in my car, it flowed, and it had line choice in spades. The problem was that not looking ahead punished heavily, and I fear course reading at speed with puddles instead of flour lines generated a fair number of DNFs. It's hard to create juicy offsets and reward/punish apex opportunities without adding challenge.
The major problem was people not looking ahead. that caused a TON of the DNF's according to the people I spoke to. I have to say, myself that was one of the top 3 courses of the 4 years I have autocrossed.

And thanks Jonathan, I never thought I would hear someone else say the Slowrolla was fast :D :P

R compounds make a HUGE difference though, and who knew E30 wheels would fit a FWD corolla :?: I have to get some for next year now. (thats r compounds not E30 wheels :wink: )42.45 seconds? if the bmw wheels were 5.5 inch instead of 6 and the offset was closer to 45, you might have taken pax in the slowrolla. I was just amazed!

Glad to see a lot of newbies out there and I hope they show up next time. With all the Hiccups, I feel like we pulled off a great event, despite.

Three cheers for all who participated!!!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:12 am

Corolla DRiveR wrote:And thanks Jonathan, I never thought I would hear someone else say the Slowrolla was fast
Now James, Chris and I both tried telling you how fast the car would be on Rs and you didn't believe us. IF you open up your exhaust, slip on an intake, a wee bit heavier coils and sway bars - then Chris and I would be hard pressed to be good competition. (Ok so I would be hard pressed. :lol: )

I would loved to have seen two things happen :
1. No one or no thing getting in the way of setup so the course could have been spread farther apart reducing the chance of get conefused.
2. I wish I had this damn cast off my arm because I would have really had fun on that course I believe.

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:26 pm

yes yes its all in the tires..... :P
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Yeah, the event went well, considering all the outside forces that acted against us.

One thing in our control went wrong, though. We absolutely have to balance the heats better. The second heat was twice as big as the first, and the understaffed second heat crew worked much longer in worse temperatures.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Eddie, Its not that I dont believe you, its that Im flat broke. I cant even afford the great deal that the Taylors were going to float me on their R tires.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:14 pm

Are we getting results for the 25th of August?