Traveling Tombstone Rally

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Corolla DRiveR

Re: Oct 28th auto cross

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:27 pm

VONDOOM wrote:Has anyone looked at the lot. I understand that the truck driving school has been doing a lot of damage.

Will there be timing? Will there be results at the end of the day?

The last two races I went to did not have results at the end of the day. I do not know about the last race since I was not there.

This is just one man's opinion on things.
1. Inexpensive trophies are a great tool to get newbe's back
2. I like to get results at the end of the day, and I believe that other people also would like results.
3. Fun runs should be limited to people who raced the auto cross. It is not fare to allow someone to come in at 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon to race. They pay less, get at least as many runs and don't have to work.

I know this sounds very critical and I don't mean it that way. I realize that OMR has a very limited (in count - not ability) core crew. I live a long ways away but I will try to get there early enough to be of some help. I guess that if Jim can do it I can also.

I go to a lot of auto crosses in several regons. In the past if there was a conflict of dates I always picked OMR. Now it is not an automatic choice.
Trying to help you out here, so if I come off as harsh I dont mean to be.
in answer to your numbered questions.
1. There was an informal decision by the Solo2 director to not do trophies anymore and take those monies to do a larger get together for the whole of the autocross racers. Knowing that it helps bring newbs back may change his mind into using trophies again though. I dunno.

2. There are unofficial results at the end of the day on the manual timing score sheets. however there hasnt ever been summarized results like the ones we get on this forum available at the time of the race end. I dont know if thats possible to do or not.

3. One of the major reasons behind fun runs is to allow someone that is catching it the first time, or drove by and saw it and stopped, to try it out and possibly become a regular member later on down the road. or at least to come and race the whole thing like the rest of us do. its an enticement. After all, they generally only get to go thru the course once or twice and its not official and the course may be boffed by the time they get thru it. Not to mention they have no real way to compare their results against other competitors that day even if they were to remember their time and look on this forum at the other results because their car was never classed.

hope that helps.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

VONDOOM

Oct 28th solo

Post by VONDOOM » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:01 am

Again - Just one mans opinion

1. The people running things make these decisions. I am glad that they at least take the time to strive for improved methods. I still stand by my opinion.

2. All the regions I race at have sumarized results at the end of the race. This even includes things like the top 10 PAX results. This includes OMR in the past. This is the norm not the exception. If you have computer problems then the sumarized results are not available at the end of the race.

3. Over an hour of fun runs is more than one or two runs. Again remember this is just my opinion. I am only one of many with different opinions.

My opinions have been stated - people can read them and agree or disagree. I beleive that they are at least food for thought. The OMR crew does a great job and I am thankful that they put on races.
1999 Neon ACR silver
DSP35

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Im stating what I observed and heard firsthand. none of what I have stated is based on anything else. I know you have been with OMR much longer than I have, things have been the same as long as I have been there, which is only three years. I wish we did have summarized results at the end of the event. it should be easy enuf. so let me restate #2. As long as I have been with the OMR region I have not seen sumarized results at the end of an event. I would like to state that Im not disagreeing with your opinions, I was trying to shed some light on the issues. I thought you wanted answers, but now I think you were just trying to help come up with some ideas for the improvement and enjoyment of everyone attending the events. Thank you.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 pm

the results summary would be a nice addition to the events I agree. we had a printer but anyone who knows inkjet printers knows that its imposable to get a inkjet to work when its used once a month and the cartridges are subjected to the heat that they are put through.

we need a little laser printer... but I'd rather be putting what little funds we have into more important items like backup timing heads that will be here Thursday!

although I could just pick my laser up and bring it out for the events! (hadnt thought of that before...)

fun runs should cost more per run and be open to anyone.. IE I'll make the recommendation at the next board. my first reaction is 5$ a run. if you get 4 runs its 20$.

or even better might be a racing non-racing fee. if you raced then a fun run is 2$ if you didn't then its 5.

which brings me to another point.

that we didn't have trophy's this year is what is going to save us from having 100% red events.
even the biggest events we cleared single digit numbers in funds. if we had trophy's it would have been negative $40 - $80 depending on the trophy's.

this is 90% due to national office raising insurance rates on us. and 20% on low turnouts because of my Saturday events :( (no sat events next year has already been decided by the board) (10% margin of error on my guesses lol)

next year its going to be worse because insurance rates will go up again. (you can bet on it, since when does insurance go down?)

AND because you will be required to buy a temp membership to race. from my understanding you wont be able to to race without being a member. the temp 1 day memberships will run $15 that means that its $20 for members. $35 for non-members to run... thus creating lower turnout and even less funds for the region (in my opinion....)

and back on the insurance rates. if they go up the same % that they raised them this year, the $20 for non-members will not be enough to cover costs.

one of my suggestions will be that the club no longer provide the free drinks to the public. its nice but I don't know of any other region that does it (I could be wrong)
and the soda bill is a rather large bill, it begins to rival the lot rental in the hot summer months.
a water cooler with ice and paper cups works just fine. (or selling the drinks is a option but really annoying because its another job to fill.)

stream lining the expenses, what we charge and the number of people at the events will be a major focus of the next year.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:59 pm

ED ,

The " Tombstone Test " will begin at 2 pm on Sat. afternoon at the bank
on east Battlefield where the other events have started . Suggested
equipment would be a clipboard and 3 or 4 sheets of paper , a sharp pencil and a
sharp mind , plus a vehicle with an odometer that reads to tenths . It will
probably take between 2 1/2 and 3 hrs .

If you would post this for me I'd appreciate it .

Forrest
Tombstone (road) Test

Saturday October 27th at 2:00 PM

U.S. Bank
3230 E. Battlefield
Springfield, MO.