Alternative AX Sites

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

zoomzoom

Alternative AX Sites

Post by zoomzoom » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:00 pm

I drove by the abandoned truck stop in Mount Vernon today. The condition of the asphalt is really bad, with cracks everywhere. Some areas are literally pits. This site makes PCP look like a jewel, even if the trucks cause further damage.

If anyone knows of other potential AX sites, please advise. Grizzly isn't large enough, the big Ozark Empire fairground lot has three utility poles in varying spots, and none of the various industrial park tenants seem to have large enough lots. Since we want to have Sunday AX's, church lots aren't an option.

Ideas?

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:39 pm

hobby lobby on battlefield......not sure on actuall size but it does have poles...:(...

they are close on sundays...
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 am

scoTT wrote:hobby lobby on battlefield......not sure on actuall size but it does have poles...:(...

they are close on sundays...
holy moly! thats a great idea! hobby lobby and mardel are closed sundays and right on battlefield that would be huge exposure.

thoughts?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:16 am

not big enough.... the poles take up more space than you probably think... Keep hunting!
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:00 am

Also ... being inside the city you have to worry about noise ordinances and if the event creates rubber necker traffic problems then the police will shut it down.

FYI: When we ran at the Porsche Club's charity event a couple of years ago on the St. John's clinic doctors parking lot, we were shut down because 1 resident complained of teh noise and we were probably 500+ from the security/noise reduction fence but cry baby asshole one and we went home. PS: The noise complaint was over the squalling tires not the engine noise. Glad they never squalling tires on Springfield streets any other time. :?

Lyndell Pickett

Post by Lyndell Pickett » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Here in Neosho at Crowder College they have truck driving school with a very large lot with looks like new pavement. This lot is on the back side or the eastside of the college.(Lacled Ave&Lewis Drive) Maybe bigger than the ducks, but it is very flat. (500ftx1000ft possibly)
Maybe the Corvette Club could land this site for their AXs in 2008 or possibly more.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:55 pm

Lyndell Pickett wrote:Here in Neosho at Crowder College they have truck driving school with a very large lot with looks like new pavement. This lot is on the back side or the eastside of the college.(Lacled Ave&Lewis Drive) Maybe bigger than the ducks, but it is very flat. (500ftx1000ft possibly)
Maybe the Corvette Club could land this site for their AXs in 2008 or possibly more.
It doesn't look bad at all from the sat pic:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... =addr&om=1
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

atomicz

Crowder College Neosho site

Post by atomicz » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:03 pm

I will have one of our local Neosho, MO 4 State Vettes members check out the Crowder College site right after Thanksgiving. If it can be available, my guy will get it. We will work really hard towards obtaining this if you all want it.

On another note: 4 State Vettes is wanting to put on at least 3 autox events for 2008. We have several members that have really had their autox interests peaked. In addition, virtually all of the club members are excited about autox activity. and even our non-participants seem to be behind those of us that have been bitten. I think this Corvette club may be a pretty heavy supporter of autox in S.W. MO.

We have been offered an old Consumer's Grocery Store lot in west Joplin that is medium sized, about like the NorthPark Mall lot from last July. It is 'For Sale', so we could lose the offer, but for now we have the lot. I have been asked by the club to coordinate with OMR to see how, or if, we can work together to put on at least 3 autox's in the Joplin area in 2008.

I have been a bit hesitant with all of the turmoil that I have seen on this forum this fall, but figured I would pursue this a bit later after things settled down a bit. Maybe now is a good time for making our wishes known.

We sure want to have some more fun with the OMR group. It certainly has been great so far!

Phil -- Black, loud and slow Z06
Black Z

Ironhead

Re: Crowder College Neosho site

Post by Ironhead » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:09 pm

atomicz wrote:I will have one of our local Neosho, MO 4 State Vettes members check out the Crowder College site right after Thanksgiving. If it can be available, my guy will get it.
O-M-G :shock:

A better than decent site less than an hour away? That's exactly what I need next year if I'm going to race and carry a heavier class load than this semester. Whatever I can do to help make that happen, I'm in.

Is this a situation where the SCCA's site acquisition group could help? Supposedly they've promised to take a more active role in helping regions obtain sites.
What I meant to say is that the SSAC wants to take a more active role in assisting individual regions with site acquisition. Let's be realistic; we still can't travel and do the individual legwork and negotiations at remote locations that you mention, but we certainly can work with an individual region to obtain a site. We have collected some tools and processes for site acquisition, and will provide direct communication and assistance with anyone having the initiative to use any of this material (or any other site acquisition activity). The list can be viewed on the main SCCA site under Solo, Forms, Site Acquisition Tools list.

George Schweikle

Chairman, Solo Site Acquisition Committee
atomicz wrote:We have been offered an old Consumer's Grocery Store lot in west Joplin that is medium sized, about like the NorthPark Mall lot from last July.
That wasn't a medium sized lot. :P

I still had fun and very much appreciate the effort that went into getting it though. Thank you.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:48 pm

The Four States Vette club is all right in my book. Most marque clubs do not go for track/autocross stuff, or help in the capacity you guys have.

Neosho is an hour from Springfield, and a drivable distance from NWA, KS, Tulsa, etc. If that site is pretty open, it could be a winner for some OMR events, too.

I am not completely sure of what the site acquisition materials include, but it's a good idea to approach a site owner in an official SCCA capacity (unless you have an "in" already). You need to run a proposal from the vantage of "driver education," not "bloodthirsty hooligan racecar drivers" as many members of the general public might see our sport. I think the SCCA can provide that material ready to go.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

magilson

Post by magilson » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:54 am

Looks like a nice lot. An hour drive and we have to show by 7:30! Who wants to place bets that Chris is a bit late every time :lol:
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:14 am

Here is a link to the list of site acquisition materials:

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo_Form ... 20list.pdf

I've read where it may be wise to edit out some slides from the site request presentation Powerpoint.

Evidently there were some unfortunate choices made with regard to content. Supposedly it's not something a lot owner would be overjoyed at seeing. Don't know anymore than that.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

Lyndell Pickett

Post by Lyndell Pickett » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:18 pm

It maybe of some help to know that Crowder College has a automotive department. This department is well established from early 70's And if we could help with a scholarship in our name for lot useage. This would help with new blood for the club plus broaden member base. Also alot of the students at one time came from all over the four state area.

drivehard

Post by drivehard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:16 pm

Anything too far away, and I will just go to K.C. instead. Lot "L", if they still are using it, is the best.... Hard on tires, but fun as hell! :twisted:
CRUX[kruks] 1. of perplexing difficulty. 2. the essential or most important point.

DRIVE HARD, DRIVE FAST, DON'T MISS YOUR POINT!!!!