class champions

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

class champions

Post by Crazy_Dog » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 am

looking for ideas on how to get better overall competition in the club. any idea not matter how off the wall or random will not bad laughed at... to much. think outside the box.

the best idea would be raise the *member* attendance to 60 or 70 people each event. but I'm looking for other ideas as well :)

also trophy ideas for each event. I know we had suggestions of at the event heat results printed out each time. I think thats a great idea. we had a suggestion of building a actual podium and taking pictures of the winners of each event. that idea is funny as can be, and would embarrass the winners... so I like it!

I like the idea of giving out a year end plaque and for each event you ran you got a tag that at the end of the year you collect the tags and turn them in if you have x number of events ran, regardless of championship status. you got a plaque with your event results on it!

a memento of your beginner racing days.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:54 pm

The SCCA will get your "membership" attendance up.

If you are talking competition level then maybe incentives (like an extra run or discount at the next event, etc...) to group up cars in STU, XP and SM/SM2 or simply make a ruling that any single class (including ladies & Stock) will get pushed into one of these classes. It will encourage people to bring friends and/or co-drivers so they won't worry about being bumped.

A PAX class would be the best for raising the competition level but with the Stock PAXing it would not always be as fair and could run off potential racers.

Even if you don't get the driver's picture, you could post his/her car so the other competitors had an idea of who beat them.

The Year End Class Trophies should have the person's car on the trophy to make it more personalized. It shouldn't that hard for the trophy people to cutout a photo and affix it to a trophy or plaque.

Of course what would really be nice would be sheet handed out to each class winner showing the former winners of that class since OMR's conception. Just so the champion knows what caliber of people he/she is now associated with.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

vdub kirk

Post by vdub kirk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:54 pm

i kinda feel like any of the ideas from crazydog would work because they make it more of a spectacle.
i know its not to be a spectator event, but "showy" stuff like photos, podiums, trophies, etc, will get new people to show and keep coming. at least that is what it seems like from talking and listening to other locals who dont come. its like they dont think it "counts" for anything. sad, but i think that wont stop regulars from coming, but may make a marginal difference for a noob or someone passing by or seeing it on the web to come give it a shot.

or it might intimidate them into not showing when they dont trophy. 8)
duffstudswoop in a jetta 1.8t
some say the outline of his left areola is the exact same as the Nurburgring Nordschleife. . . all we know is . . . he's called, "The Stig!"

markyf

Post by markyf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Many people I've talked to are afraid they'd make a fool of themselves if they tried to race. Maybe they think they're too slow or that they might get lost on course. We could have a rookie class that is based on pax. After 2 or 3 events, they would go into regular classes.
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:18 pm

markyf wrote:Many people I've talked to are afraid they'd make a fool of themselves if they tried to race. Maybe they think they're too slow or that they might get lost on course. We could have a rookie class that is based on pax. After 2 or 3 events, they would go into regular classes.
I like this idea.... throw them in one class so they can get used to how everything is ran and the flow of a course...
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l