VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR APRIL POINTS EVENT #2

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:08 am

That said Forrest always shows up in the nick of time and I always let him register late Wink lol
Forrest is showing up late? ZOMG!! Can not be alloweD!

lol, just kidding, he's a valued participant, I just have to give him a hard time for beating me in G-stock by like 0.009 seconds.

But going forward, he might want to show up early, practice, heat cycle his tires, check all pressure, and get in the zone to beat me again!!
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:52 am

hehe Forrest is one of the many long timers that has taught me more about autocrossing than I'll ever remember. I'll let him show up and register late anytime, he just has to keep giving good advice! ;) lol
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:13 pm

You think Forrest would do a few co-drives with me? I know it would be like Luke Skywalker asking Darth Vader for help, but I could use the advise from someone in my same stock class with that many years experience.

Anyone else who would co-drive would be greatly appreciated! I have a total of (2) heats under my belt, so needless to say I'm about as noobish as they come to driving.

The only thing I have going for me is I like to drive fast all the time...so I think that helps me some 8)
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned

drivehard

Post by drivehard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Hey, Forrest co-drove with me a few years back when I had the Lude, and all he said was, "Man that All-Wheel-Steer sucks!". :lol: :lol: :lol:
CRUX[kruks] 1. of perplexing difficulty. 2. the essential or most important point.

DRIVE HARD, DRIVE FAST, DON'T MISS YOUR POINT!!!!

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:38 pm

There are a lot of things proposed as changes for next event. Do we want to hold another pre-event meeting to talk face to face? It seems problems are solved more quickly and better ideas generated.

Does anyone have a free Saturday with a good amount of time before the next event? Or we could try a weeknight at my house or some restaraunt?
I think it is a good idea. For now, in order to repeat the success of our last event, we should probably do things as we did before the event. That would including having another face-to-face meeting. We do have better ideas and faster problem solving when we have these meetings.

We can also build on the success we experienced by drawing attention to possible solutions to bottle-necks we experienced at the last meeting (e.g. better parking control, more drivers-meeting time, getting inexperienced people with seasoned drivers before hand, etc).

Anyone 2nd the notion of another pre-meeting? Recommendations on where to hold it?
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:54 pm

We need to confirm which weekend the April event falls on. The web site front page says April 20th and this thread from Jonathan says April 13th.

http://www.omrscca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553
Crazy_Dog wrote:Solo2 schedule

March 9
April 20
May 18
June 8
July 20
August 24
September 28
October 12

Note: the original April event date has been changed to April 13th due to a conflict at the lot with the police academy.
April 12-13 is the Arkansas ProSolo. April 19-20 is the Kansas City divisional. I guarantee more people would be absent for the KC divisional than the ProSolo out in East Arkansas, so we might want to settle this soon.

The SSS trainees were Bob Heisler and Rodney Collins.

Also, Brad Seaman (white first-gen RX-7, CSP) showed up late again, same excuses, and I let him run. He is aware that he can't do this again. Apparently, during lunch he was doing donuts and drifts out on the front side of the site again, where everything is visible from US 65. We're a complaint or injury away from losing the site. He's out of chances, but I don't know if anyone from the club spoke to him, so I'm apt to give him the opportunity to be on time and drive like an angel every single time from here on out.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Don't let him back on the lot, I've banned him 2 years in a row now, this year would be his 3rd. I know some people have vouched for him and his brother. but he continually disregards the rules, shows up late, ect ect ect.

I used to have his VIN numbers posted on the trailer.

if you need help call my cell I'll talk to him and tell him why he is not allowed on the lot.
I'll verify this with the board, but I'm 100% sure they will agree with me, last year the statement was made to give him another chance. he don't need any more grace. we are here to have fun, not be idiots.

The correct date is the 20th. its the only date in April that is available for us. :(
I just updated that other post to reflect the schedule change, Matt has already updated the website. :)
Last edited by Crazy_Dog on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Unstable wrote:I saw one guy come back in from the FR that was not a registered driver.
I remember there was a fun run in a Reliable Imports car that was tech inspected (but not used in competition), and it was driven by a competitor the time I saw it run. Reliable brought free water and allowed us to use their meeting space the week before, so no one minded. Hopefully this is what you saw? If not, we should get on top of the issue. An incident would be bad news!

Also, I specifically announced multiple times that you had to be a registrant/member and driving a tech'd car to do fun runs. Hrm, selective hearing?

For safety reasons, I'm glad we're banned from allowing non-competitors to show up at the end of the event and take fun runs. If you want to see how autocross works, you can show up and time, pay, and compete - experienced people on site are willing to help, and the web site's novice guide tells you the basics beforehand. Or you can put on a helmet and ride with someone. Or you can watch from a safe vantage point.

It also doesn't hurt my feelings that we now have to turn away the type of person who feels entitled to get in an event's worth of runs for $5 and no work assignment, and then bitches at the trailer when we don't have time for fun runs. Fun runs are a priviledge of time and reward for competitors who paid and worked, and not guaranteed if the event runs long.

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Last Sunday was a great autocross. My congratulations to all of you for the wonderful outcome. I know many have been putting in a lot work and planning. It showed!

I also trained for SSS. I did it with Bobby 1st heat.

I am undecided on the KC Divisional. If I don't go, I'd probably be willing to do the course. Maybe Mark R. and I can team up on it. I'd like to do the grid and start/finish in the traditional place since it gives us more room to work with. I think we can work around the bad places no matter where we start the course.

Bud

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:08 pm

I meant to say I trained for SSS with Bobby 2nd heat.

Bud

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 pm

budweeks wrote:I'd like to do the grid and start/finish in the traditional place since it gives us more room to work with. I think we can work around the bad places no matter where we start the course.
I agree.

On Sunday, I had the course run the SCCA 25ft minimum - I measured with my wheel - from the embankment to isolate finishing cars from starting cars by a 75ft buffer.

One car put two wheels on the grass, which was one car too many. The locations of the ruts and rough patches means we'll risk this in the future if we run from the far end. I could see a fast car finding the fence or a tree on a bad day.

Running from the normal end will offer longer courses, more time with multiple cars on course, and the ability to combine or route lanes close to each other in the back section (safer).

Red Lion

Post by Red Lion » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:56 pm

drivehard wrote:, "Man that All-Wheel-Steer sucks!". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tell me about it. I'm sure some of the corner workers saw my car plow straight ahead no matter how hard I romped on the throttle. Too much rear traction!
91 240sx
RLR

SilverYota

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR APRIL POINTS EVENT #2

Post by SilverYota » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I'll work the Waiver station again. It is a tedious job, but I can effectively manage the flow of traffic and explain tech setup, parking, and paperwork.

If someone wants to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I will be there at 7AM to change my tires and await the arrival of the trailer. If the trailer can be there by 7:30, I'll get the documents, table, pens, cones, etc. and setup waiver station.

I would like to implement the same basic system as last time with point of entry to be around the back side of the stadium, it worked rather well.

I wouldn't mind working again at the Waiver Station and I will be there at 7AM. I agree that the one point of entry/exit is the only good way to make sure that everyone checks in. The only thing that I would ask is that the afternoon waiver guy grab some pizza and come up to relieve us early during the lunch break (thank you magilson for spotting me before the pizza left). Remember the morning waiver station guys (and probably also the registration and tech guys) haven't gotten a chance to walk the track and would need to use their lunch break to do so.

One thing I was wondering if anyone had the answer to, is how often does the Minor Waiver form have to be filled out (once an event or once a season), and if it is once a season the Waiver Station folks would need a list of minors that were on file.

I would also like to add that I, like everyone else, thought the event was a great success and am looking forward to the next one, I plan on having the car back together by then.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey Matt! Thanks for the reply, I'd be glad if you worked the waiver station with me again.

This time, I'll be sure we're more comfortable (more water, pizza, chairs, etc) than before. You were a big help last time.

As for the minor waivers, I think from a legal standpoint we have to have one signed for every minor, every event.

Last time was my first time running the waiver station, so I didn't know a lot about the minor stuff, but now I think we'll be fully prepared.

I'll make sure we'll have all the documents, and plenty of pens.

Thanks alot again for the help, and I look forward to seeing you run a few heats (just make sure you do 2nd heat with me!).

Mr. ZoomZoom, looks like the waiver station will be under control. So, if the Chief of Workers (whoever that is going to be) should make note of this.

We probably need to appoint/figure out who the cheif of workers is going to be too :wink:
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:32 pm

CivicSiguy wrote:This time, I'll be sure we're more comfortable (more water, pizza, chairs, etc) than before. You were a big help last time.
I think if I was watching the waiver station over lunch I'd just stop the pizza delivery person and buy something right there!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI