Arkansas pro solo

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Dunno timing yet. Avoiding the I-540 rush and Conway around the morning rush hour is my primary concern. Leaving Rogers a little before 7AM should put me on track.

I have to eat lunch, change tires, and put all all the goofy contingency stickers on when I get there. I'm planning on a little cushion before the novice training.

The only ProSolo I've done was that silly Tour-Pro weekend last year when the tree was broken. I've never done an autocross off the tree.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:24 pm

You'll be way ahead of me. I'm going to my 7:30 Organic Chem but am skipping the rest of my classes.

Should be on the road by 10:30am.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 pm

A few weeks ago, Newport had the worst flooding in 25 years when the White River hit 34 feet.

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... ,1,1,1,1,1

According to that link, during the day on Sunday the White River is forecasted to crest at 34.5 feet. In other words, worse than the worst flooding in 25 years.

It was nice knowing you guys!

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Flooding was pretty bad West of Newport, but we survived.

Not all cars fared so well. Mark Foley broke the rear end on the T/A during Saturday runs. I haven't heard how the trip home went. Mark?

After the first morning session, I crawled under the car and found a rubber vent hose hissing gasoline and vapors a few feet from the exhaust. I tightened the clamp and assumed the car wouldn't burn to the ground. Yay.

Korry did well in ESP, finishing second I think to one of the fastest car-driver combos in the country, Mark Madarash. Mark was top qualifier in the Challenge round, i.e. fastest of the fast that weekend.

The course was on concrete. Very fast, grippy, narrow, and abrasive, with just enough polished rock in the mix to make breakaway characteristics very odd. Tons of transition at high speed, many cars using a lot of third. I softened up the Sentra, and still spun the car TWICE. Eight out of 15 in the bump class was my haul from my coning/sliding/spinning antics.

I didn't get into either Challenge, but it was still a lot of high-speed seat time for the money, really. Better than any Tour they could have run on that site.

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:58 pm

I didn't get to see any of your runs Jim. Didn't realize you spun the car. Now I don't feel so bad.

On one of my runs I got behind in the high speed transitions going down to the turnaround and put the right rear tire into some loose stuff. I got a tank slapper going and spun the car. I slid a loooooong way from probably 50 mph or so but didn't hit a cone.

I just wish I would have driven better and made it a bit more respectable. Wasn't terrible / wasn't great Saturday but I succumbed to a case of nerves Sunday and got off my game. I'm not used to being in second place at a big event. :oops:

It does suck that Mark broke the car. Not only was I looking forward to running against him but I was also looking forward to more beer on the hotel balcony. :D

Overall it was a lot of fun. I still like the dual course Pros better but I'll do this format over a Tour any day.

Link to results... http://scca.com/documents/resultfiles/1 ... sional.pdf
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

m3kerry

Post by m3kerry » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Thanks for coming over guys. We will run a dual course next year because we will have more of the airport opened up to us.

I thought Jim would win something because of best pass from each of the 3 heats combined scoring.

I will post up the runs in the new Mustang. We were the 1st one's off the line in the cold each day, so I never felt any of that grip Jim is talking accept Saturday afternoon. I started to move to ESP. My times would have put me 4th there just like F stock but runnng twice with better heat would have helped.

The one thing I have learned in my few national events is to look at the classes your car will run in and the cars/drivers in the classes at that event. If you think you can trophy in a different class that your car will run in, move the car to that class. If you trophy, you probably win money. PAX does not exit at these events, so class placement is the only thing that matters.

Hope to come up and run this year at some point. Thanks to those that came down. Chris and Eddy, wish you guys could have come over.
98 m3
03 330i
formerly former_d1
www.autocrosstraining.com

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:54 am

f1race79 wrote:
CivicSiguy wrote:Yeah, scratch that. I just checked the line-up and it's people from all over the country. If it attracts that many, I'm 99% sure I'd finish in the 99 percentile!

I'd be up against another Si, and 3 MINI Cooper S drivers.

If someone good at driving would loan me their brain and reflexes I'd be happy to go :lol:
Hey CivicSiguy come on down and we can run each other, and make fun of the Mini's killing me.
I am old, fat and slow so you have a good chance to take me.
Lot of the guys know me up there, I ran a couple of events with you guys.
Hope to see some of you guys there.
Later,
I couldn't make it down that weekend...had to work at my 2nd job I don't need! :lol:

You should definitely come to the OMR event though! It would be great to see another Si there...especially a habby! besides, I wanna see what you've done to it (window tint, wheels, tires, etc).

My name is Don by the way. I hope to see you there! (It is this Sunday - April 20th).
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned

markyf

Post by markyf » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Ironhead Korry, great job! Second place at a Pro! That means you won Kumho money and SCCA money.
It was a fairly fast course with a lot of slalom and transitions.
I got one crummy run on Saturday morning and then my rear differential failed. I had AAA tow me 100 miles to Thayer MO, my wife picked me up, I left the car at the Thayer ploice station, then Sunday I went back to Thayer from Springfield and towed the car home on the trailer. It was not the weekend that I had envisioned.
I need a rematch! I sent my entry in for Toledo even though they are full. I might get in as a standby. Right now there's 10 entrants in ESP, so it will be a good race.
People that don't go to the Pro's are missing a fun event, even if they think they can't win. I broke and still had fun.
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD

m3kerry

out of car video of the shelby in action

Post by m3kerry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:51 pm

98 m3
03 330i
formerly former_d1
www.autocrosstraining.com