The Ft. Worth Solo Tour Saga

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

budweeks

The Ft. Worth Solo Tour Saga

Post by budweeks » Sat May 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Hello Y'all (said with a Texas twang),

Ah yes, national competition. What a reality check! I journeyed to Texas last week to dive into the big leagues for the first time in about 15 years. I had planned to run the test-n-tune event on Friday just to get warmed up a bit for the event. Well, turns out the Evolution School was doing a mini school for three hours that day. Certainly there would be something for me to learn---and how. Neal Bellamy was my instructor and went as fast as me in my car using correct techniques in just two runs. He filled my head with good points about looking ahead, smoothness, and such, and it was such a slippery surface that it took me about 15 runs to beat his time.

On Saturday I thought someone had scooped up Ft. Worth and transported it all to Alberta. 30mph winds and temps hovering around 50 or so during heat 1. A few guys wearing tee-shirts were turning blue. I had on 4 layers and wasn't warm. Meanwhile, my head was still at the Evo School partly and part who knows where. It all seemed a blur when run-1-try-to-look-ahead-damn-a-cone-where-is-that-next-cone-think-smooth-oops-this-isn't-where-I'm-supposed-to-be-phooey-run-2-I'm-not-looking-ahead-properly-power-feels-good-crap!-DNF-try-to-get-part-of-it-right-man-this-is-technical-run-3-I've-got-to-get-a-clean-run-I'm-lost-when-did-I-forget-how-to-drive-jeez-this-feels-lousy! Thus ended day 1 with me in DFL.

Sunday was much better both in terms of climate and the inner reaches of my mind. I can assure you that my expectations were much lower and my goal was more in line with what autocross is at its core, a way to have fun with your car. I was driving much smoother and doing many of those Evo School things naturally without thinking about it. Run-1-oops-cone-have-to-slow-down-more-there-this-is-more-open-not-bad-run-2-that's-better-OK-car's-pushing-a-bit-Hmm-OK-just-drive-clean-run-3-a-liitle-more-agressive-inside-rear-is-spinning-Hmm-related-to-push?-Hmm-OK-pretty-good. Result? I finished 3rd on Sunday and more than enough to get me out of DFL. At the end, I felt encouraged with some new ideas to learn (or old ideas to relearn).

A note on the surface. It was the slipperest surface I've ever been on. Although it does improve a bit when it warms up, smoothness, soft suspensions, and delicate touch are all necessary to do well there. At least it stayed dry.

Two OMR runners were there. Bobby Jasan was fast in his STI but collected cones on his best runs. John Powell was there driving his son's Corvette in SM and they discovered that whoever aligned it got the toe settings backward both front and rear. I guess the car was a real handfull and I think they were scrambling to recover on Sunday. A number of Oklahoma drivers that I know were there too.

Texas Region put on a well-run event. It was run very much like nationals only smaller, and slicker. My only saving grace from Saturday was winning a drawing of one night in the Grapevine Mariott with a dinner out at some Italian restaurant. I hope I can go back sometime this year to use it.

Bud

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon May 12, 2008 1:47 pm

From what Bobby told me, it was difficult to stay clean.

For anyone with Nationals intentions, it sounds like it was good seat time. Heartland Topeka's Solo pad is slick, cramped, and sands badly offline. I respect anyone who can make it happen with three runs per day.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD