OMR Vettes in Texas

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Gmcnabb

OMR Vettes in Texas

Post by Gmcnabb » Mon May 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Last weekend several OMR Corvette drivers made the trip to Fort Worth and the Texas Motor Speedway for the Lone Star Corvette Classic event. This was a 3 day event with over 600 Corvettes.

Our group included John along with his son Brian, along with Mike from Joplin, Dave & Gregg from Springfield and Clark & Herb along with several member of the Mid Mo. Corvette club. With over 80 participants, for the Friday autocross, the OMR guys made a great showing taking 5 trophies 3rd place or better. Herb finishing in 3rd position of the tough Z06 class ( which included the new 505hp Z06), Dave took first place in the C3 class, Brian won the C6 class with Gregg closely behind in 2nd for the C6 class. One Mid Mo. member came away with a C4 trophy sorry not sure what position.

Saturday was the car show with every year Corvette represented.

Sunday was a great day, we were allowed to lap the NASCAR oval. While it was controlled, it is so much fun to go into turn one at over 100mph and feel the g-force work on you and the car. While we are not ready to run with Dale Jr., it makes you appriciate the talent that all those guys have to run at 200mph. Several drivers took the Make a Wish children for rides around the oval, everyone agreed it was really special to see the kids smile and enjoy theirselves.

Most of us spent the majority of the day on the road course. It is used by the Texas Driving Experience school as a training facility. It features 10 turns and about a mile or so in length top speed was 100-110mph. We were in groups of 8-12 cars with every level of experience and car modification, so it was always interesting. We saw some "agricultural racin", Gregg had two different driver's spin directly in front of him, Clark was a passenger in a car that took a 360 spin. Had one car on fire at the end of the day. No one was hurt, no damage to the cars, just some pride bruised.
:P

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Mon May 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Last edited by killerbracing on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gmcnabb

corvettes in tx

Post by Gmcnabb » Tue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm

You know, when you attend a single model car show, it get boring after a while. They all look the same whether it's Corvettes, Mustangs etc.

Did not loose my car, but did use the "panic" feature on the key fob to help find it :D

redazz

Post by redazz » Thu May 22, 2008 2:24 pm

greg,
i had a great time running around the roadcourse with you and herb.
when i was changing tires after i got back to joplin i found that i had corded the inside edge of one of my front tires. guess it's time to upgrade from the gy supercars to some new ra1"s
john

Corolla DRiveR

Re: corvettes in tx

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Thu May 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Gmcnabb wrote:You know, when you attend a single model car show, it get boring after a while. They all look the same whether it's Corvettes, Mustangs etc.

Did not loose my car, but did use the "panic" feature on the key fob to help find it :D
I cant help but be the wiseguy, so sorry in advance.

Wouldn't it have been hilarious if the "panic" feature had set off your car and 75 other vettes around it? :)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington