OMR autocrossers at the drag strip

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

markyf

Post by markyf » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah, I was ready for my 1st run. I had everything all set up, turned my shocks down, lowered the Kumho tire pressure, heated 'em up good in the burn out box, then took off on the last yellow with a little more RPM than last time at Mo-Kan. Apparently, the track was super sticky. I red lighted and heard some noise, the car was not moving as fast as the engine, so I let off, then it felt like it was rocking a little. As it was slowing down, the rear made a lot of noise. I came to a stop knowing something bad had happened. I then tried to move ahead so I could get off the strip. No luck, it was basically locked up. I couldn't move forward or backward. I am about at the 60 or 100 foot mark right in front of the grandstands. I got out to look under the car and nothing was apparent. At least I didn't coat the track with oil.
So now I don't know what to do. Pretty quickly, an ATV came screaming up from behind the start line, ready to tow me all the way down the strip. I told him it wasn't going to be that easy. He called for backup and another ATV came out with some wheel dollies. We jacked it up and finally towed it back behind the start. I don't know how long all this took, but it was a little embarassing to stop the whole event for 10 minutes or so. Anyway, I had the car put on a flat bed and towed home. That's why I have AAA. 100 miles tow for free, well, except for the annual dues.
Anyway, I was unhappy because I've rebuilt the rearend 3 times already. My wife definitely thinks I don't know what I'm doing.
I pulled the diff cover on Saturday and couldn't tell much. One rear wheel was able to turn and the other was locked. I then took off the driver wheel and brake caliper and the axle pulled right out. That's weird, usually you have to pull the c-clips first. When only about 3/4 of the axle came out in one piece, I realized that I should have upgraded to stronger axles before now. I keep finding the weak link.
Needless to say, the Trans Am did not make the auto-x today.
Thanks, Justin and Sara for letting me drive that nice '08 Mustang GT. It was a blast and pretty fast, too. You are really trusting and brave and nice people, but maybe too nice since I seem to be hard on equipment. Thank God nothing happened today.
I said I was going to give up drag racing, but since I've slept I reconsidered. I will try again, but I wll leave the line a little easier. I may still go again this year in my quest for the weakest link.
Mark F
'99 Firebird Formula 6-speed hardtop ESP
'99 Trans Am WS6 6-speed black ragtop ESP
'69 Z28 silver/black DZ302 4-speed SOLD

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Good grief.

Opie and I turn up the pressure a little bit this year and you start breaking the car every other month. :P
I keep finding the weak link.
My car has a fairly serious one located somewhere between the steering wheel and front seat.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. At first I thought it would be cool to know how one of you fast guys would do in my car, so I would know if it is competitive in ESP, but now I feel like s--- getting beat in my own car. I feel violated.LOL and now I have no excuse as to why I can't hang with you freaks of nature. That's a bummer about your car, I hope you have it fixed by the Oct. event. but if not, I also have a ford Excursion that I think you would do great in.
:twisted:
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:23 am

Well I finally got to the drag strip last night. Truck did decent; just shy of my goal of being a 12 second street truck. My best ET of the night was 13.10 @ 100.47mph; best MPH pass was 13.12 @ 110.16mph. If I can find some slicks, I’m sure it will get to the 12’s. Tires would never hold, on one pass they broke lose shifting into 3rd gear (sideways at that speed is very exciting). Truck kind of looked like it was dodging cones.
01 Mustang GT