Fall Rally November 15th

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

kingturbo

Fall Rally November 15th

Post by kingturbo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:01 pm

The rally will begin in the parking lot of the Napier Center at 3335 W Sunshine. This is at the intersection of Sunshine and West Bypass.

Check in will begin at 1:00 p.m. with the first car leaving at 1:30 p.m.

Your car should have a working odometer. Dress for the cold you may have to get out of the car. Don't forget something to write with and on and maybe a calculator!

Please direct any questions to Rallymaster Derek Gresham at kingturbo63@yahoo.com or
417-766-3737.

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:05 am

For those of you that seldom visit the front page (like me :oops: ).
Jeff and Clarissa Moore will host the Fall Rally bonfire cook-out again this year [Nov 15th, 2008]. At the party, Clarissa and Olivia will be requesting donations to C.A.R.E. Pet Adoption Shelter, 1328-A West Sunshine, w.w.w.carerescue.org. C.A.R.E. is Springfield's only no-kill animal shelter. Most all C.A.R.E.'s pets are rescued from "death row." C.A.R.E. is a non-profit 501(c)(3), which operates entirely on tax-deductible donations. Tax receipts will be available. Clarissa and Olivia volunteer at the shelter, which rescues over 1000 pets a year. The shelter pays for all pets to be spayed/nuetered before adoption, vaccinations, and other medical needs, At C.A.R.E.'s pet sanctuary, over 300 dogs and cats are fed a day. If you are considering adding a dog or cat to your family, you will find both pure-breed and mixed-breed animals at C.A.R.E.
FYI - CARE is not the only animal organization out there. My wife has owned & operated her feline rehab, Sherri's Kitty Rehab for 13 years now out of our home. While it is a shame to see animals die in the pounds, they are not the only animals on Earth. There are many animals that need help before they get in the system.

Susan Tolliver is also organizing her Annual Wine Tasting event for Nov. 23rd to also benefit local shelters. Not sure if CARE is attending but Sherri & I will be.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:24 am

You took a bit longer than I had expected, Ed! :wink:
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

mulkio

rally

Post by mulkio » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:42 pm

i have a question, is this held on paved roads , or are there off road portions as well ??????
also if someone could be so kind as to clue me in on the in's and out's
thanks...........

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:19 pm

hope i can join this one!
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

Unstable

Re: rally

Post by Unstable » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:15 pm

mulkio wrote:i have a question, is this held on paved roads , or are there off road portions as well ??????
also if someone could be so kind as to clue me in on the in's and out's
thanks...........
I have not participated in any of Derek's Rallies that I remember but the ones I have attended were all on paved roads with optional gravel roads but never any off-road - except if you drive too fast on an off chamber downhill gravel road. ;)

Oren Goble had the teams seal their licenses and insurance papers in an envelope and if the envelope was opened, the team was DQ'd because they apparently had a legal altercation which is unwanted by OMR & the SCCA.

As far as the rally operation itself, these are usually gimmick style rallies with questions to be answered by the teams while following directions given to them. The odometer reading is usually very important so if you have over/undersize tires you may want to get an idea of how best to calculate the exact reading. Some have tried soloing the rally but it is very hard to do so, plus it is always more fun with a passenger grabbing the dash and screaming. Ooops did I say that out loud? .

The Bonfire party is very good place to mix and mingle with all the OMR members.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 am

Think of it as a cross between a fun drive in the country and a riddle game. It's the SCCA activity you can enjoy with a close friend, spouse, older child, that might not be able to or desire to run SOLO.

Get together after the rally is good fun for family and friends as well.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:31 pm

I probably sound like a dumb ass, but what is this rally??? It sounds fun but I have a few questions. Is it a Race ? a scavenger Hunt? a math test "bring a calculator?". could someone please explain what a rally is. How long is it? should I take my Mustang , or my truck? I am reading about gravel roads? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:05 am

Driver & navigator get a mode of transport.
The navigator reads a series of directions for the driver to follow.
Along the way there are questions to be answered varying from objects in people's front yards to a certain mileage at a certain point.
Most rallies do not have gravel roads but there always could be.
Rallies are roughly 3-4 hours in length and 60-100 miles.
Calculators are for mess ups during the drive or incorrect reading odometers/kilometers that will cause the team's finish miles to be off.
Usually the RM will have a 10 mile mark at the beginning of the rally so teams can verify their odometer readings.

NO, this is not a race (although it has happened ;) ).
The SCCA does not sanction or condone breaking any laws of the road.
That is why the old RM had the team's licenses in a sealed envelope so if it was opened it was because a law officer had stopped the (disqualified) team thus breaking the SCCA's rule of being law abiding car enthusiasts.

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:59 am

WTG Derek - Good Job !!!

We had lots of fun. (Just maybe reconsider the cemetery thing next time, it seemed a little not right. :? )

Thanks OMR/The Moore's for the cookout & bonfire.

:D