neosho autocross site

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

craigb

Post by craigb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 am

Still being quite new to SCCA and OMR, could someone explain how a divisional works? Thanks! :mrgreen:
Craig

magilson

Post by magilson » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:50 am

craigb wrote:Still being quite new to SCCA and OMR, could someone explain how a divisional works? Thanks! :mrgreen:
It's a two day event. Your time from both days will be added together to rank you within your class. Participation in a Divisional is mandatory if you want to go to Nationals (but it's a whole lot of fun even if you don't care about Nationals, like me...). You are given 3 runs (usually no more, but no less) and the course changes from Day 1 to Day 2.

I'm not sure what other questions you might have?
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Just a bit more "official" than a local event.

Impound each day after your runs, audit sheets at each station, series sponsor decals must be run on the car... things like that.

Still a bit more laid back than a national event IMO.

One thing I don't know is... do you have to be an SCCA member? Does the weekend long / temporary deal for non-members work for a Divisional (or even a Tour or Pro)?

Oh and I'm really looking forward to that MUCH shorter drive to Neosho. Thanks. :D
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

craigb

Post by craigb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Then I'm guessing you can't just run one day then?
Craig

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Is this the address for the lot?
601 Laclede Ave
Neosho, MO 64850
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 17&iwloc=E

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:28 pm

craigb wrote:Then I'm guessing you can't just run one day then?
Craig,

You will be able to run just one day if you want. They are actually seperate events, Saturday and Sunday, that just happen to be back to back.

A "Divisional" (OMR is Midwest Division) is actually part of a Division wide series of 2 day SOLO events. I believe there are 3, but maybe 4 making up a season.

Several of our members have traveled to participate in these big events elsewhere. I know Matt G, Bud W, Bobby J, and Jim R. for sure, but probably many others.

With one of the series events right here in Ozark Mountain Region, it will be interesting to see if any of our hotshoes take on the whole series.

For sure, this will be a way for all of us to see just how fast we could go. I expect more than 100 cars for our Divisional event. 60 of whom will be very experienced, with first rate equipment and setups, and running the division wide series for points.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Unstable wrote:Is this the address for the lot?
601 Laclede Ave
Neosho, MO 64850
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 17&iwloc=E
Close Ed but "a" is actually a gravel lot they use for parking exercises. If you look to the right of "a" you will see a big rectangle with little feet in each lower corner and access at 9 oclock. It's shaped like a flag. The light area where the stars would be is concrete, the rest asphalt.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

craigb

Post by craigb » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Curtis. I'm sure I'll have to work one of those days. I really want to run as much as possible this year, just depends if I have to work or not. There was also some interest from the 100mphclub.com to run at the July event, I'll let them know.
Craig

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:46 am

Only downfall to these bigger events are that with the number of people, it only allows you three runs per day.

Preregistration is a must so heats can be grouped and work assignments plotted before the event starts. Yeah, in Divisionals or larger events all cars in a class must run together to better insure a fair playing field plus it helps with timing & scoring with everyone together.

Does OMR have access to a set of roll on scales for tech? If not then talking with other regions like AR, NEO or KC might be in order. Chris Conant would be helpful I bet.

Curtis,
With the lot size and general location I would expect more than 100. That will mean alot of attention to detail to get everyone ran thru in a day. Also there can be NO pussyfooting around when it comes to heat/work changes nor when it comes to 2 driver cars. At several of the 2 day events I have attended the 2 drivers tend to be a real PitA especially when it is required to have a certain number of cars or time in between runs so you watch one driver make a pass then stand there twiddling yer thumbs wanting for his/her next run. Boring and uncalled for in my book. Especially when you consider this event is in July and heat could be a factor.

Matt,
If your radio transmitter is working that would be a big plus for running the event. I found it very helpful to be able to tune into the radio broadcast to stay in touch with what was happening at the event.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:40 am

I'm glad to see interest in our second site.

It's just turned January, so a lot of logistics still have to be settled. The March regional event will bear out a lot of insight into what we're going to need to do at later Crowder events. The comfort zone of Ducks, with its odd shape forcing similar paddock/grid/courses every time, makes setup pretty routine. Not only is Crowder is a clean slate, but we're building a very new relationship with the site and hope to secure it for the long time.

Curtis has worked with the Crowder site manager at length, and earned his interest and trust in fairly short order. We need to back it up by holding an efficient, well-run event the first time we visit.

Our first date of the 2009 season was only established at our December board meeting, and the divisional bid is just a few weeks old. It's definitely new to everyone involved. Our annual banquet and monthly board meetings are open to everyone, and the place to be if you want to get involved and put your ear to the news first hand.

Stay tuned. More details as they're worked out. 8)
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 am

Unstable wrote:Only downfall to these bigger events are that with the number of people, it only allows you three runs per day.
I didn't make Salina last year because of the OMR event, but the rest of the '08 divisionals all had four runs each day.

A larger, more open site like Crowder can accomodate higher car counts with the same number of runs. I'm astounded we can get six runs per entrant at Ducks, seeing as how we can only get two cars on course at once maybe 25% of the time. With thoughtful course design, Crowder should accomodate two on course at all times, likely having times with three cars on course. Great time logisitics. This will be a huge boon for our regional events there.

For divisionals, the run cap is partially self-imposed. There is always a Saturday evening banquet, course setup for day two, and many out-of-towners facing long drives home on Sunday. Plus, it's a notch more competitive. You have to make it happen three or four that day, not six.
At several of the 2 day events I have attended the 2 drivers tend to be a real PitA especially when it is required to have a certain number of cars or time in between runs so you watch one driver make a pass then stand there twiddling yer thumbs wanting for his/her next run. Boring and uncalled for in my book. Especially when you consider this event is in July and heat could be a factor.
The divisional won't be amateur night. There will be assigned grid spaces, more workers (most with experience), and cars will be have to be marked clearly per SCCA rules to keep timing and scoring straight (no blue masking tape on a blue car stuff that we sometimes let people get away with). Most will know the plot, and we'll help any novices who don't.

In this economy, co-driving is in. Two drivers can spreads tire, setup/damper/etc, fuel, and hotel costs. When appealing to entrants from outside the region, expect it, even encourage it. Most people are thinking about keeping temperatures more consistent between runs, but co-driving also builds class counts for contingency and points purposes. From the event hosting side, I'd rather have someone bring a buddy to drive than leave him at home. Tech one car, get two entry fees.

The two-driver car issue causes problems at our regional events because we're often short-handed and have small grids. Yeah, it happens higher up, but it's not that big of a deal.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Unstable wrote:Preregistration is a must so heats can be grouped and work assignments plotted before the event starts.
I am still working on the test site whenever I get a chance. I tried two different event registration systems and liked neither so I decided to start over so I can go with another method. It is my goal to have this done well before the first event.

Unstable wrote: If your radio transmitter is working that would be a big plus for running the event. I found it very helpful to be able to tune into the radio broadcast to stay in touch with what was happening at the event.
The radio transmitter I have is a lost cause. There is a guy I work with who will be letting me test his RF transmitter from his Christmas light setup at his house. He said he was able to broadcast 400' clearly. Id' say that will work for us!

I also think we'll need to have a proper time display board this year as well. This won't be a year to skimp on the spending. But it will also be a year to spend very, very wisely! The Autocross Committee members have quite a few regional events under our belts and so I feel we can make good decisions on that level for next season. As far as a divisional... Well I plan to ask a lot of questions to St. Louis and Kansas City SCCA members.

We also need a lot more participation from local people! There are plenty of people who will criticise the way we do trophy's (when we do :wink: ), complain about the amount of water, make comments about the timing system, etc. The problem comes down to the fact that about 5 people are working incredibly hard to help out 40 or 50 others. That ratio just doesn't work. I hope that pre-registration and therefore pre-work assignments can help.

But don't get me wrong. There are A TON of you who do come up and ask how you can help during the event and you are all absolutely invaluable!!!!

Also, come to more board meetings people! :D
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

Lynn

Post by Lynn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:38 am

The St. Louis Region will be happy to help. If you need any equipment please let us know in advance so we can get it out of the bus or trailer and arrange to have it tranported.

Scales are not used for Divisonals unless the hosting region has them available.

myautoevents.com is a sponsor of the Midiv series. It is required to use them for pre-registration for all Midiv divisionals.

magilson

Post by magilson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Lynn wrote:The St. Louis Region will be happy to help. If you need any equipment please let us know in advance so we can get it out of the bus or trailer and arrange to have it tranported.

Scales are not used for Divisonals unless the hosting region has them available.

myautoevents.com is a sponsor of the Midiv series. It is required to use them for pre-registration for all Midiv divisionals.
We appreciate the offer! That would be a huge help for us since we don't yet have a backup timing system. I'll keep STLSCCA in mind as our divisional approaches!

Registration for our regular season events is what I'm most concerned about.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI