Calling volunteers: pre-season autocross meeting

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

Calling volunteers: pre-season autocross meeting

Post by JimR » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:26 am

Would there be any interest in having a Solo Committee meeting this month, possibly Saturday the January 31st?

Last year went well, but OMRSCCA will need volunteers for the upcoming autocross season. Being a small region with well-run events means we can offer more fun and seat time than anyone. However, that's based entirely on the efforts of the people who help make our autocrosses happen. The more, the merrier.

We're a group of regulars who are able to help out beyond our normal work assignments on raceday. Matt Gilson is the new Solo representative on OMR Board of Directors this year, and we want to help distribute the workload. Some areas where help is always appreciated: pre-event organization, course design, event setup, safety/logistics/gate wavier, food, registration, timing and scoring, and website content. If you have experience in these areas, perfect. If not, we can get you up to speed.

Just brainstorming some things to go over for 2009:

- Timing and scoring refresher with the laptop. I know I could use it.

- Equipment issues for the upcoming season, testing, must-buy stuff, etc.

- Discuss any personal conflicts (weddings, bah mitzvahs, business travel, etc.) with our tentative schedule, make sure we have enough regulars to make our events run smoothly.

- Logistics for the new site at Crowder. Directions, paddock, safety, etc.

I'm thinking before the OMR awards banquet on January 31 (details coming shortly) is a good time to get a lot of people in the same place at once around Springfield. I don't know everyone's schedule or favorite locations locally. Let's talk out a headcount and see what works for everyone.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

magilson

Post by magilson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Another item to discuss within the Autocross Committee as well as with the board. I think it would be a good idea to set up another SSS training day so that we can get a few more SSS's for our region. I know I never had a change during the 2008 season to actually "apprentice" under a SSS even once, so I still need to get set up for 2009.

I will be available on January 31st.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:59 pm

What all is involved in becoming a SSS?
Justin
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

magilson

Post by magilson » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:29 pm

The Huff wrote:What all is involved in becoming a SSS?
Justin
A class for a few hours and then you have to work with one of the SSS during two events for your work assignment. Then fill out some paperwork and send it off to the SCCA.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:54 pm

I can handle that.
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 pm

I will be available on Jan 31, and to make it clear we are requesting volunteers to be a part of the Solo2 Committee. Due to various reasons, not everyone from last year's committee will be able to participate at the same level this year.
We're a group of regulars who are able to help out beyond our normal work assignments on raceday. Matt Gilson is the new Solo representative on OMR Board of Directors this year, and we want to help distribute the workload. Some areas where help is always appreciated: pre-event organization, course design, event setup, safety/logistics/gate wavier, food, registration, timing and scoring, and website content. If you have experience in these areas, perfect. If not, we can get you up to speed.
I couldn't have said it any better. This is exactly what being on the Solo2 committee is all about. We think it would be great to see some faces from the southwest corner of the state as well, especially since OMR will be hosting some events in Neosho. So if you have some fresh ideas, are willing to learn and put forth the extra effort, we encourage you to post here and attend the Solo2 Committee meeting on Jan 31st.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:04 pm

I will sure try to be there..... 8)
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l

CleanGSR

Post by CleanGSR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 am

Slightly off topic (not really thought)....but something that you guys might want to discuss is having some Saturdays mixed in with the Sundays. If I remember right, last year they were pretty much all on Sundays which prevented me from coming. If you guys have some events on Saturdays and some on Sundays I would definitely be there on some of the Saturdays this year. Just something to think about because I've been wanting to get into the autocross for awhile but wasn't able to last year because of the dates and my location.

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:21 pm

We've had interest in Saturday events, but never the turnouts. Saturdays were generally functioning at or near a loss until we removed them completely in 2008. Below a certain entry threshold, we aren't breaking even on sanctioning fees, site rental, insurance, etc. This was a problem at even at a relatively affordable site like Ducks. Low turnouts also left us lean on course workers, which makes it harder to hold a safe, smooth-running event.

The OMR board was not keen on running Saturday events after 2007. The only Saturday on the calendar for 2009 is going to be a special two-day divisional-level event in July, which should draw drivers from half a dozens states.

I can't explain the reason why Saturday events draw less entries, but it's common in other regions, too. Best guess: work obligations outnumber religious obligations.

magilson

Post by magilson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 am

JimR wrote: I can't explain the reason why Saturday events draw less entries, but it's common in other regions, too. Best guess: work obligations outnumber religious obligations.
The main complaint I heard regarding Saturday events is the number of OMR members who have Saturday jobs or spend Saturday with their family. It's much easier for them to miss one Sunday service or go to the early service than it is to give up work or family commitments.

Whatever the reason, Saturday event have not been able to breach the 25ish participants necessary to cover event insurance, water, course marking flour, lot rental (which Duck's is cheap, so at other sites it takes more participants), fuel for the generator, trophy costs (which we are commited to for 2009! Now the people just need to stick around to collect them!), etc.

It's a chicken or the egg question. Should OMR commit to money loosing events to try and slowly attract Saturday events? The more recent strategy has been to stick with profitable events and save up for replacement equipment as ours is begging to age. I'm sure most people remember the fun we had in '08 with our timing system. All that savings will allow us to properly prepare for the Divisional this year. OMR's board has held on to a long term strategy rather than thinking one season at a time.

And we are always open to suggestions and are available during the Board Meetings the first Tuesday of every month at Schutlz and Dooley's Too. It's a General Membership meeting! That means more of you can and should be showing up! They are usually an hour of business and then two hours of talking shop, anyway!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Hey Guys,

I wish to support the autocross committee, and the autocross program in general, and think all you guys did a great job this past year. However, I will not be able to attend either the committee meeting or the awards banquet this year. I will be glad to do a couple of courses this year as well as to continue to be SSS whenever needed.

Bud

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Where's a good place to meet on Saturday?

magilson

Post by magilson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:05 pm

JimR wrote:Where's a good place to meet on Saturday?
Do you guys just want to meet in the normal board meeting location? I called Schultz and Dooleys Too and they said it would be no problem for us to meet back there around 4 or so.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:15 pm

Longpine suggested showing up at the Riverside Inn a little early.

I want to see the condition of Ducks, so I'm going there first catch it in daylight. Being in Ozark would be easiest, but I'm flexible.

Let me know. Cel # below:

I just finished making a new "window" for the G20, and will get cleaned up and hit the road. It has been a long week!

magilson

Post by magilson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:37 pm

JimR wrote:Longpine suggested showing up at the Riverside Inn a little early.

I want to see the condition of Ducks, so I'm going there first catch it in daylight. Being in Ozark would be easiest, but I'm flexible.

Let me know. Cel # below:

I just finished making a new "window" for the G20, and will get cleaned up and hit the road. It has been a long week!
Confirmed. We'll meet at the Riverside Inn at 5PM.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI