Traveling Tombstone Trophy Contest 2009

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

SilverYota

Traveling Tombstone Trophy Contest 2009

Post by SilverYota » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:22 pm

What: 2009 Traveling Tombstone Trophy Contest and Halloween Party

(Nice people, good food, cool cars, fun drive)

When: Saturday November 7, 2009

2:00 Drive Registration (Cars released at 5 minute intervals)

6:00 Social, BBQ and Bonfire

Where: Start Drive: Price Cutter parking lot on South side of Battlefield just West of Hwy 65

Drive ends at Social

Social: Home of Curtis and Joanne Wood

3103 N. Bobwhite (Quail Run Subdivision)

Ozark, MO. 65721

417-849-4673

Ends: When the last car buff goes home

Cost: A $5 per person donation is suggested to help offset food cost.

Parking: Regular cars to right of driveway and on street

Classic, exotic, and cool cars left of drive in front yard

Children: Are welcome and there will be stuff for Smores. (Please plan to appropriately supervise your little ones, keeping in mind that food will be served in a working garage with all associated hazards, and there will be a bonfire in the yard)

Alchohol: BYOB

Invited: Ozark Mountain Region SCCA members and friends

Greater Ozarks British Motoring Club members and friends

Others by invitation

History: The traveling tombstone bonfire and drive has been an annual tradition for several decades. So long in fact that nobody can remember exactly when it was started. Special thanks to Jeff and Clarissa Moore who have hosted the Bonfire for many years and are allowing Curtis and Joanne the opportunity this year.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:55 am

Does the $10 per team entry fee still apply or is that what the $5/person food cost is for?

Who is laying out the rally this year?
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:10 pm

No entry fee. Food donation optional. Just a fun drive and a good time.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE
curtisATthiscrazygarageDOTcom

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:27 am

Will make an appearance! 8)

....maybe... some one has that day off at work...
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

mulkio

Post by mulkio » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Alisha & I plan on attending. What kind of turnout is expected? Does the drive include any dirt road sections? Do I need anything for the drive/rally?(maps,stopwatch) See you all saturday!
J. MULKEY
17 WRX
# 8 DS

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 am

Jason,

We usually have 10-15 cars. I think we might have 20-25 this year due to new interest, and because I invited some members of another club. Lots of wimpy types skip out on the contest and just meet up at the party :-)

I talked with the guys who put the instructions together (Jeff and John) just a little bit ago and can give you an idea what to expect.

All paved roads. A little chip and seal to watch for from a safety standpoint, but nothing that should worry the owner of even a really nice car. So drive whatever you want. Keep in mind also, it's just a drive, with no time limit, so everyone should put safety first, go slow, and follow all road regs.

You'll need a working odometer, and pen or pencil. A clipboard or notepad would be a good idea as well.

This year photo instructions will be used, so the instructions will take the form of a series of photos with arrows for which way to turn. Not real tricky. Participants will be ask to answer trivia and other questions about signage and landmarks seen along the route.

Additionally you will report total miles covered at rally end and this will be compared to that determined by the guys who set it up. And I saw Jeff and John setting it up in a 1970 or so, Mini, so I would count on applying some sort of correction factor unless, by chance you happen to be driving one of those.

I've never won, so my advice may not be worth much, but here is how I do it. I write my mileage down at landmark's along the drive just for reference. Then if I want to go back and look at something again or rethink and answer I can just go back to one of those landmark's and pick up my total mileage tally from there again.

One last piece of advice, If the Mrs. isn't to competitive and your marriage has previously survived a float trip in the same canoe, bring her. If you float and rally like my wife (whom I love dearly) and I, you might consider competing with different cars/partners :-) I can tell anyone interested about the 1989 Tombstone contest when my terrible, inconsiderate driving, caused Joanne, three months pregnant with our son Shelby, to throw up the bag of Cheetos, doughnut, and quart of chocolate milk she ate just before the start. To this day we are still arguing driving skill vs. food choices on that one.

PS. The contest is not a sanctioned SCCA event. Rather it's just a fun drive set up by individuals who happen to be OMR members. Great chance to bring a friend or somebody new along.
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:01 am

Oh, and I'll be cleaning the shop and preparing to burn some Brauts while everyone else is driving. So if you need anything don't hesitate to call my cell at 417-849-4673 or the house at 417-581-5210
Curtis Wood
OMR-RE

mulkio

Post by mulkio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks Curtis, sounds like a good time, we'll be there.(2 float trips this year) :D
J. MULKEY
17 WRX
# 8 DS

mulkio

Post by mulkio » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:53 pm

We won't be there after all, maybe next year. :(
J. MULKEY
17 WRX
# 8 DS

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 am

I work till noon today but the wife and I will be there, come Hell or high water for the start. :D

Just hope the Fessendens can attend.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:19 am

Awesome Rally !!!

Awesome Cookout !!!

Note to Self: Bring In-Car Cookbook next time. :)

magilson

Post by magilson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:25 pm

That was a whole lot of fun and my wife and I would like to thank OMR's Rally manager and those who helped him for putting on such a great event. And I'd like to thank Curtis for hosting a great cookout!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Thanks to everyone who put the rally together and to the Wood's for hosting a great BBQ. We had a lot of fun.
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Cool, it looks like most of the cars that started the rally made it all the way to the end, despite manufacture by British Leyland employees. :wink:

Unfortunately, my cunning plan to spend the day in Stroud, OK, and make the 250-mile drive to Ozark turned into a losing proposition against time and space. :oops:
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD