EVO SCHOOL

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

stanbell

safety stewards

Post by stanbell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Scott, we were looking for you guys to steward. but technically, if you're sharing the car, then there's always one of you who's not in the car at any given time, right?

still, i would not want to deprive you of the full school experience, so i think we'll work on getting others there too, to share the load. i believe bud is planning to attend one day or the other, and we can probably scare up a bobby or a forrest, too. i think we can get it covered.

glad you're on for the whole school, btw. you're gonna love it.

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:22 pm

would like to open up registration to the world beginning next week. i'm thinking tuesday, to leave a day or two before christmas for the last-minute gift opportunity. we'd like to get the school publicized before the others in the area take up all our potential attendees.

any local folks who'd still like a slot, but won't be able to register before then, please give me a shout. i believe we can work out a reservation if you can commit to attending.

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Stan, Jeanie and I have been discussing that - and going with what Korry has said, I believe we're gonna "drop back" and one of us do a Phase One Saturday, and the other do it Sunday.

So, we'll be available "full time" one-each of us for both days. I think it will just be too much, the two of us sharing the car. I want to ensure we can get the "most" we can get out of the school, and I don't want Jeanie to feel "pressured" by my presence.

It's disappointing we can't do both phases, but I don't think we can divide our attention well-enough to be effective at both SSS and EVO Student.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:22 pm

OK, 'nother possible plan-change. St. Louis is having their EVO school on the 6-7th of March (a Ph. 1 and Challenge). Jeanie and I have been mulling-over going to do the Ph. 1 with the STL-ers, then come the Neosho one of us does Ph. 2 on Saturday, the other Sunday, with the not-occupied person as SSS on their respective days.

Here's my line of Logisticimationizing: with both of us having to split our concentration between SSS and the school, PLUS sharing the car, I don't believe we would get everything out of the EVO that we could.

HOW'MEVER, we go to STL - share the car for Ph. 1 (not as easy as 1 driver, 1 car - but doable). This gives us time to "digest" what we've learned, put it to use on the 21st with Points #1, then expand-upon it with the OMR EVO Ph. 2 on 27-28th. We can each have the car to ourselves then, AND be able to give back a bit to OMR by working.

One other thing is, I believe the Ph. 1 will have more of a chance to be "sold out", while the Ph. 2 will be "undersold" - this would free up a couple of slots for other people, and (hopefully) flesh-out the thinner class a bit.

What does y'all think?

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:58 pm

I think you're overthinking it. Just sign up and drive. :wink:

If it would work better for you guys to run the school on the same day, it is entirely feasible. It just takes a bit more work / coordination on your part. Many people have shared a car at an EVO school. Two or three cars were shared at the St. Louis school I attended.

You could also do a Phase 1 this year and a Phase 2 next year.

Also, IMO a few weeks is not enough time to "digest" everything you will learn. In fact, I actually slowed down a bit immediately after taking the school. Reason is that I had a lot of little stuff to think about fixing afterwards. It took me a few months of "thinking" about that stuff before it became automatic and I picked up my time.

YMMV of course.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:52 pm

OK, Korry....What's your opinion on this? It seems I'm hearing repeatedly that it IS going to be a lot to "process". So do you think it would be more beneficial to do Phase 1 this time and Phase 2 next time around (Either next year or later in the season if available.), or should we get both phases at the same school? Would we have the same instructor for both phases that way? Yeah I can see where we are over thinking things, and I think I've got Scott convinced to just do Neosho. Now we just gotta decide if we're doing one or both phases.

I'm thinking Phase 1 only for financial reasons, but I'm willing to do both if the general concensus is it would be better experience wise to get them both at the same time.

Also, I feel like we are taking money away from our home region if we go to STL for another Phase. No sense doing that. I know I know....overthinking...... :P

-Jeanie

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm

I'd say that if your sole focus is only going to be the school, then go ahead and both of you do both phases on the same weekend. Phase 1 Saturday. Phase 2 Sunday. If necessary, rotate the tires at the end of the day Saturday (keeping in mind this will be ~60 runs per day on the car).

If your attention is going to be split with safety steward duty or something else like repeated tire rotations, maybe it would be best if one does the Phase 1 on Saturday and the other does it Sunday. Save Phase 2 for next year.

I'm doing at least Phase 2 again this year simply because my brain was fried after Phase 1 last year. Because of this, I really don't feel like I got everything out of Phase 2 the first time around.

And I didn't have anything else to worry about during my school.... :wink:
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:35 am

Hey All,

FYI in regards to being available for SSS duty, I am signed up for both phases 1 and 2 of the brain frying....er, I mean of the driving school on Sat. and Sun. I don't know if that leaves me out of the mix for SSS or not. Probably out, but for those of you who have done this before, please comment.

Bud

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:48 am

Mulkio, checked w/evo, and your slot is reserved w/ the pay by mail option. you're good.

stanbell

safety stewards

Post by stanbell » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 am

my opinion: while i agree with kory the school is pretty intense, there is down time between runs, and with at least 3 qualified stewards on site, i think we'd be ok. (tho presumably you'd be concentrating on what you just learned or are about to do, between runs)

so, better safe than sorry, and better not to impose on bud, scott, and jeanie. i'll see if i can engage a non-participant to steward for us, simplify the issue all around.

mulkio

Post by mulkio » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:49 pm

stanbell wrote:Mulkio, checked w/evo, and your slot is reserved w/ the pay by mail option. you're good.
Sweet. Thanks Stan.
J. MULKEY
17 WRX
# 8 DS

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:53 am

we're covered for safety stewards. Scott and Jeanie have graciously decided to do just phase 1's, on opposite days, so we'll have one of them on each day.

thanks again, you guys.

stanbell

PUBLIC REGISTRATON OPENING--GRACE PERIOD OVER

Post by stanbell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am

FYI, anyone who's waiting to sign up, might be a good time to go ahead. later today (12/22) or early tomorrow, the Evo site will make our event public, so that anyone can sign up.

if we have anywhere near the succes our neighbors have had, the classes will fill up shortly.

if you're short of budget temporarily, let me just say no racer worth his salt has any unused credit limit. you might also look at the pay by mail option.

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Just got off the phone with Junior (had gift certificates to redeem).....

I'm signed up for Phase 1 and 2. :D
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

stanbell

Post by stanbell » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:21 am

i'm in for 1 and 2, also