New member, what class?

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

MaverickA70

New member, what class?

Post by MaverickA70 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a stock auto '95 subaru impreza L. The only modification on this car is a rear disc brake conversion from an outback sport. What class do i belong in?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

fordfocusguy

Post by fordfocusguy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Maybe I could be wrong, but I think the disc brakes would put you out of H stock. Although I could be wrong, I haven't delved into the rules too thoroughly, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. You can stay in H stock for all I care, I need the competition :wink: I won't tell on you, but there could be some people that do get upset about it. Make certain that I'm not wrong on this first though.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:16 pm

The brake upgrade is legal in STX (aka "Street Touring X"), a 140+ treadwear street tire class.

If any US-market non-2.5 or non-turbo Impreza came with those rear discs, then it would also be legal for FSP (F Street Prepared), a class that allows DOT race tires.

Otherwise, the car is HS (H stock).
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

MaverickA70

Post by MaverickA70 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:33 pm

http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html#1995 impreza

Brakes
base model Impreza: front disc, rear drum - no anti-lock
L : front disc, rear drum - no anti-lock
L with Active Safety Group: front and rear disc with anti-lock
LX: front and rear disc with anti-lock
Outback Sport Wagon: front and rear disc with anti-lock
All of these cars came with my engine (ej22), so I guess I am eligible for STX and FSP.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:57 pm

It looks like there was another trim level that year that had rear discs, and the Stock class rules allow same-year trim level conversions.

Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes one model from another.

To be legal to the letter, you would have to add the ABS pieces if you don't have them, but that's splitting hairs and shouldn't make a competitive difference.

The car feels like HS to me.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

fordfocusguy

Post by fordfocusguy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:04 am

YAY!!! Another H stock car to fall victim to the Flippy Focus!!! lol

On that note, I have a friend going to be racing his Jetta in H stock, and he put #41 on the preregistry, noone has it, just wanted to make certain it was still available and he can have it. Thanks

MaverickA70

Post by MaverickA70 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm

HS it is then.

Also, i just remembered that I am currently running no axleback exhaust. I have all of the cats on still, but there is no muffler and the exhaust is about 2 feet short of the rear bumper. It is still fairly quiet, and it doesn't bother me even on long road trips(the rally for instance). Will this cause a problem with my class?

I have the factory axleback, so I can throw it on before Neosho if need be.

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:29 pm

MaverickA70 wrote:HS it is then.

Also, i just remembered that I am currently running no axleback exhaust. I have all of the cats on still, but there is no muffler and the exhaust is about 2 feet short of the rear bumper. It is still fairly quiet, and it doesn't bother me even on long road trips(the rally for instance). Will this cause a problem with my class?

I have the factory axleback, so I can throw it on before Neosho if need be.
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. However, if it's louder than you say, someone might ask you to muffle it a bit.

We try to be Good Neighbors.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

MaverickA70

Post by MaverickA70 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm

I'll bring my axleback just in case then.