Another potentially stupid question

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

g3joshua

Another potentially stupid question

Post by g3joshua » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 am

Yeah it's stupid question guy again :)

Ok I got my SCCA number now, where and how can I reserve my OMR number. I know I can't exactly reserve my number for the divisional next weekend except for on MotorsportReg. I remember a post with drivers and numbers somewhere but can't seem to find it :(

Which brings me to question two: if it lets me reserve my number there, does that mean I get the number? Just wondering so I can have my car numbered and ready to go when I get there. Last thing I want to do is show up with SM21 on my car and have to peel it off, lol.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:17 pm

The post you are looking for is a sticky in the Timing and Scoring area of the forums, Driver Numbers is the title.

You can not "reserve a number" you can only register with the number that you want and if you are the first person to request a # that isn't previously reserved, then that will be your # for the entire year. You can only get a # reserved for you if you are an OMR SCCA member that ran in at least 2 events the prior year.

Right now 21 is not a reserved number (ironically it was abandoned by a SM competitor for a different #) so if you are the first one to sign up with that # for the May 16th event, when we open registration, you will receive that # for the rest of the year. If you run at least 2 events with us and are an OMR SCCA member then you are guaranteed that # next year.

I suggest to all new members/participants to use blue "painters tape" (preferably 3M :D) their first time out just to make sure that they have the number that they want, and if you order #'s make sure to get an extra in case you ever run an event with a different club you will be able to switch it up in case your number is already being used in that event.

Hope this helps, and we are looking forward to seeing you out there.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

g3joshua

Post by g3joshua » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am

Cool. I've paid my dues for my SCCA membership already, but nope, didn't run 2 events last year. I'll just bring a few number sets (since I can make them myself and don't have to pay for them).

Same goes for the Divisional this coming weekend. I'll bring a couple of sets just to make sure I can have nice numbers on my car.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 pm

g3joshua wrote:Cool. I've paid my dues for my SCCA membership already, but nope, didn't run 2 events last year. I'll just bring a few number sets (since I can make them myself and don't have to pay for them).

Same goes for the Divisional this coming weekend. I'll bring a couple of sets just to make sure I can have nice numbers on my car.
Joshua, I urge you to look here before fabricating your numbers: http://scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/20 ... _rules.pdf

Page 38, section 3.7

Legibility of some cars has sometimes been sorely lacking. Please, don't you be "That guy" (dark-grey numbers on a black car, both drivers numbers in tape at the same time with no effort to cover the number of the driver not running, etc.)................

Thanks!
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

g3joshua

Post by g3joshua » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah I know the standards, but thanks for showing me where in the actual "hand book" the number specifications are. I've done quite a few number sets in my life, lol. That is how I got into SCCA, did a few number sets for some guys in Pennsylvania, which got me interested in running my car.

I'll have the black car with bright orange numbers on it :)

If the kid lets me go to bed early on friday I'll be showing up around 6:30 in the morning.
Nah, Just a Nerd!