Short throw shifter

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

joehyundai

Short throw shifter

Post by joehyundai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 pm

I found this shifter for my car that is a billet short trow. I'm wondering if this is legal for HS. In the rules is specifies any knob but does not go into the shifter itself. Any help would be appreciated.
2005 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Friendly Ford

fordfocusguy

Post by fordfocusguy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 am

I would say no. I believe at one time someone told me that just changing the shift knob on mine would take it out of H stock. Having said that if that's the only change I don't think anyone in our region would contest that, just don't get carried away, I know I wouldn't care.

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

Shifter change = Welcome to ST(*) or SP!

Knob change = Stay awhile in Stock!
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Alternate shift knobs were (finally) officially allowed in stock class per the November 2010 FasTrack, but that's the extent of it.

The short throw shifter would be a stock class no-go.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

While we are on the subject of stock classes. I bought a '04 Mustang GT, I believe that puts me in F-Stock. The way I read the rules I'm allowed any strut/shock that bolts to the stock attachment points, r-compound tires on stock sized wheels with a maximum +/- .25" change in offset, any brake pad and cat back exhaust. Anything else or is that it?

I will say that I had to replace the intake manifold with an aftermarket replacement. It's not a performance intake, it's a part Dorman came up with to replace the failure prone stock intakes. I hope that doesn't bump me out of stock.
Craig

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 pm

craigb wrote:While we are on the subject of stock classes. I bought a '04 Mustang GT, I believe that puts me in F-Stock. The way I read the rules I'm allowed any strut/shock that bolts to the stock attachment points, r-compound tires on stock sized wheels with a maximum +/- .25" change in offset, any brake pad and cat back exhaust. Anything else or is that it?
That's pretty-much it. I don't know if the SN95 Mustangs have a camber-bolt allowance or not - have to ask someone like Strano who's more "in the know" than I.
I will say that I had to replace the intake manifold with an aftermarket replacement. It's not a performance intake, it's a part Dorman came up with to replace the failure prone stock intakes. I hope that doesn't bump me out of stock.
That, I do not know for sure. There are allowances for "different" replacement parts where the mfgr. has superceded a part, or where there is no OEM/NOS part readily-available. I know that the plastic intakes had problems, and Ford replaced a lot of them under Warranty (and perhaps even recalled them).

That will take some research to determine actual "legality" under Stock rules - but you won't hear a protest from me about it.

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

From what I understand it would have to be a Ford authorized replacement, which these are not.

The problem is that my car came with the "new" aluminum crossover intake Ford started installing in mid 2001. They aren't much better than the all plastic intake they replaced. I didn't want to install another Ford intake and have the same problem down the road. I looked into it and the Dorman has a lifetime warranty so I bought it in case it did leak again.
Craig

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Either version of the same-year intake would be legal for that year, so a replacement for either would be fine per my interpretation.

Due to the factory design, it's as much of an expendable/wear item as engine mounts and suspension bushings for example, each of which is replaceable with any brand, "provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit."

I bet the Dornan part would just about fit exactly in the Ford product mold/jig, if it's like most anything else in the non-performance replacement aftermarket.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 pm

The runners look the similar, it even uses the factory alternator bracket.
Craig

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Just did some reading about the 2V intakes - essentially, if it's not either the "Typhoon" intake, the TrickFlow "Track Heat" intake, or the '01 Bullitt Mustang intake (which TrickFlow based their design from), or a few others; it's a copy of the "stock" intake with the exception that the water passages are made from aluminium instead of plastic.

As all the Ford replacement intakes are made this way now (according to two sites I read), it would be essentially a moot point. The Dorman is a "Stock" intake.

Now, I have no idea if this would pass muster at the Nationals - but were you to go, you're gonna have to do some DRIVIN' to even get in the Trophies........

And I would laugh and mock terribly and mercilessly anyone that protested this car.

See you in a few months. Don't worry too much about having Race Rubber (i.e. DOT R-Compound; "real" race-slicks aren't DOT or allowed) - I'm not gonna have it available this year except for Divisionals, myself.

Besides, Bud's probably gonna kick all our butts, anyway. :lol:

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Thanks for looking into it. I don't plan to run at the nationals. I don't plan to run at more than two or three events this year.
Bullitt2954 wrote:Besides, Bud's probably gonna kick all our butts, anyway. :lol:
He will have no trouble doing that. I'm still in the learning phase as far as my driving is concerned.
Craig

joehyundai

Post by joehyundai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to pass on that cool shifter :(
2005 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Friendly Ford