Important 2014 changes to Stock class Solo

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

Important 2014 changes to Stock class Solo

Post by JimR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 am

If you were a Stock class competitor and haven't followed the changes for 2014, make sure you read this post before you head towards the registration trailer this year. Stock class is no longer named "Stock," rather "Street." The Street category is a return to street tires on stock autocross cars, with a few additional allowances outline in the 2014 rules:

SCCA Solo Rules
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

Also, be aware that some cars were reclassified as part of the change. (For example, almost all of the '99-05 Miata trims were in C-Stock, but are now in E-Street.) Be sure to check the rulebook. The reasoning behind the Street category change is explained here:

Street Category Explained
http://www.solomatters.com/street-catag ... -explained

It's a worthwhile read. For the majority of local entrants, this is a welcome modernization and cost reduction. For some nationally active Stock class competitors, the conversion causes some grumbling. On balance, I think it helps keep the lowest-prep Solo category remain relevant.

If you still have R-compound tires, you are allowed to run them in 2014 as a sunset measure. Whatever your Street class, add a letter "R" to the end. If I wanted to run Hoosiers on my ES Miata, I would put the class letters "ESR" on each side. ESR would be a separate class from ES.

Another transitional measure is that Street requires 140 treadwear tires in 2014. Beginning in 2015, the minimum treadwear will be 200. It's no coincidence: many non-SCCA series such as LeMons, ChumpCar, Optima Ultimate Street Car, and others already require 200TW, and the tire industry has followed. Much of the crop of popular Extreme Summer - BFG Rival, Dunlop ZII, etc. - already meet that minimum.
Last edited by JimR on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Entry level Low Cost was always my argument for "Stock" classes. I understand the need for the rules in the 70s-80s when OEM parts were weak & AFM were a safer option but when you have "competitors" buying new cars and dropping $$$ to rape the rules you are just shooting yourself in the foot if you want to grow the sport.

IMO I think the rules should have been amended a long time ago to state replacement of OEM parts with AFM parts ONLY if the car is 10 years or older.

I would also suggest dropping the Stock/Street class from PAX timing. The idea of racing is to improve yourself and your equipment. There is no incentive to do so if a stock VW can gain recognition in PAX over a Modified Porsche. IF it is so important to keep the PAX then have a PAX for each base of cars; Street, Prepared & Modified PAXs. Just my thoughts.

Still looking for full time work so I can get Pepe' prepped for the season of AX, RX and RR. :) 417,000 miles and counting. ;)
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:49 pm

New cars are increasingly heavy to please safety and comfort, and almost all have a lot of electronic nannies that can ruin autocross fun. A showroom stock new car is an unworkable ideal for motorsports use, so the notion of "stock" was eventually going to be an empty shell if left untouched. A certain amount of future-proofing was part of the Street category's mission.

An aftermarket swaybar or alternate wheel diameter is fine with me if it prevents a new car from killing its increasingly large OEM-sized tires.

The price-longevity-performance point of today's street tires also loomed. The performance delta between the latest summer tires and R-comps has shrunk over the last few years, probably more than some people realize. The price and wear difference is pretty stark, as well. It was only a matter of time.

craigb

Post by craigb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:03 pm

The way I'm reading the sway bar rules for Street is you are allowed to replace or add only one sway bar. Meaning, if I put a larger rear sway bar on my Focus, I couldn't do anything with the front sway bar. Right?

Here's the text from that rule:

13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS
A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and support- ing hardware (brackets, endlinks, bushings, etc.) is permitted. The use of any bushing material is permitted. A bushing may be imple- mented as a bearing.
B. Substitution, addition, or removal of anti-roll bars may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
C. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accom- modate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.
Craig

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Anyone want to give their interpretation of this rule? I'm considering buying a sway bar for the Focus.
Craig

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 am

Sorry, I must have been asleep at the wheel.

The Street rule allows choosing either the front or rear sway bar to modify/add/delete.

craigb

Post by craigb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 am

Ok, just making sure I was reading it correctly. Thanks Jim!
Craig