Class For 93 Prelude VTEC

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Thorox

Class For 93 Prelude VTEC

Post by Thorox » Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 am

I think I finally have a deal hammered out on a 93 Prelude VTEC.

Looking at the rules, it appears that it will be a G Stock car.

Since I am buying it used, and have no idea about any mods that may be done, what are the things I should be looking for when I take possession that might make it change classes...

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu May 22, 2014 5:36 pm

The rulebook shows the car starts out in G-Street (the artist formerly known as the Stock category was renamed Street for 2014). You could have catback exhaust, one aftermarket swaybar, alternate dampers, and a few other limited modifications there.

It goes to Street Touring C (STC) with some mild performance bolt-ons, then D Street Prepared (DSP) with a few more.

If you get the car, let us know what is done to it and we can help you class it.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Fri May 23, 2014 7:45 am

Thanks, I should be picking it up tomorrow morning and have a chance to look at it over the long weekend.

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am

Besides what JimR has already brought up, remember that you can't remove things without it being allowed in the rules.

Several times through the years has someone said to us "it is completely stock" then you walk by the car and notice it only has a driver seat and the rest of the interior is gutted. Also it isn't just motor/suspension upgrades you need to look for, extra chassis bracing and aftermarket performance body panels can change where the car is classed.

Hope this helps, and thank you for stopping by here to get help with this. It is much easier to deal with these questions here instead of waiting till the morning of the event in the registration line.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Fri May 23, 2014 4:09 pm

It sounds like it already has a cold air intake, and possibly been lowered so I think I will be moving up classes no matter what. Fortunately, I don't think that anything is missing or it has been raced previously, but this will be our first outing and I am sure I will need all the help I can get!

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Sat May 24, 2014 11:46 am

95 Honda Prelude

The only non-stock things I can say for sure are:

cold air intake.
8 inch wide wheels, 17 inch.
205/40/17 tires (one odd-ball 215/50/17)

I can't tell if the front end is body kit replaced, or just had chrome wire put behind the vents.

Body work height is above the stock ride height of 5.7 inches, so not sure it is any lower than stock or not.

Any input is appreciated. Engine bay looks stock aside from Cold air intake. No warning lights indicating, except the SRS light.

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Sat May 24, 2014 11:49 am

Can't tell if seats are replaced. They have manual lumbar adjustments are entire interior is leather trimmed, matches door panels and back seats.

It is SI trim package according to the VIN.

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Sat May 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Last edited by Thorox on Thu May 29, 2014 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

flogger

Post by flogger » Sun May 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Assuming the body panels are stock and therefore acceptable in Street Prepared, then you're bumped to DSP due to the 8" wide wheels. Unfortunately 7.5" is max wheel width in STC.

The SCCA Rulebook can be downloaded in pdf form here:

http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517
Scott Woosley

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Mon May 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks, I am almost certain that the front body panel / bumper is not stock, so it sounds like I will be firmly in DSP.

I will continue to read up on the allowances and see if I notice anything else.

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am

I must not have been clear enough. Street Prepared requires stock body panels and bumpers. Your non-stock bumper isn't allowed in DSP. It sounds to me like this car as it's currently configured is an SMF car. If it had a stock front bumper it'd be in DSP. If it had a stock front bumper and 7.5" or narrower wheels it'd be in STC. Anyhow, the most accurate classing I can come up with without seeing it in person is SMF.
Scott Woosley

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Wed May 28, 2014 2:04 am

Wow things have changed in few years.. :(
Back when I was active ('04-'08) it was legal to have fiberglass ground effects kits on SP cars but not fiber hoods or other panels. In 2007 when Chris and I made a run at the National Tour and Finals, I was asking a lot of questions and getting verification to what was legal on the bodywork and I never got kicked for the kit but I did have to change my spoiler on the hatch because you could see light under the middle of the spoiler thus it could get air under it which was deemed to be a wing thus illegal.
I guess Pepe' would be considered an SM car now. :(
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Thu May 29, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for all the help, at least it looks like with SMF there is quite a bit more I can do with the car and not change classes. :D

Thorox

Re: Class For 93 Prelude VTEC

Post by Thorox » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm

In my effort to make the prelude more competitive without going the SMF route, I believe the following to be accurate:

1. is a NA SI non-VTEC.
2. if I put a OEM front bumper on it, and run stock 6 inch x 15 inch wheels it can go to STF?

Thorox

Re: Class For 93 Prelude VTEC

Post by Thorox » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 pm

still has a cold air intake, that may push it to DSP.