Upgrading?

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

pkt1213

Upgrading?

Post by pkt1213 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 pm

If there are options that were available on the same model car can I upgrade to those and stay in stock class?

I am wanting to get another Porsche 944 and Koni Sport Suspension and LSD and some things like that were available. I was wondering if I bought one that didn't have LSD if I get one off the same model and install it?

The way I read to rules said no but my best friend that makes no since that I should have to find exactly the car I am looking for.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:53 pm

now if a 944 had a lsd, you have to have the same the same trim package.... I.E. if the limited slip came on the turbo only, you have to have the turbo... cannot put it on the N/A version.

However... Koni Sport Kit has heavier, lower springs... you can have a heavier spring, as long as it is of stock ride hight (to My understandting) You cannot get anything that will lower it. You can have fully adjustable dampers. but you cant have anything that allows camber adjustment.

So basically in stock class suspension, you can have a Larger Diamiter Front sway bar, and Adjustable Shock Absorbers. Nothing else.....
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

pkt1213

Post by pkt1213 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:54 pm

The LSD was an option on the 944. It's a little less common than on the turbos but it was an option. Along with sport suspension w/ Koni dampers but I don't know if the spring rates or heights changed. If it's just the shocks you can replace those anyways.

Also lightweight Fuchs wheels were options and I belive the rears got an inch wider.

I mean as long as these were available options from Porsche for that model car I can upgrade to them? That would save me a lot of effort to find one cause then I really need to find one requirement, sunroof delete and everything is upgradable. Otherwise I think the LSD would be the most important option to hunt for.

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:56 am

Around this Region you are pretty much safe unless there is someone that has prior knowledge on a particular car. To be completely safe, I suggest research the 944 and the actual packages that were available. Get that research on paper in case anyone is concerned of what you did. Also keep in mind that some cars had optional trim packages like the Si or JCW that put their stock version of the cars in other classes. Since I am stupid and don't kow alot of the Porches, if they run numbered series like teh BMW it does not mean that you can run anything in the 9 Series because 914 & 928 are different. Even when I ran stock class I could have been found illegal because I put a different dash in it. Did absolutely nothing for performance but by the rules it was not legal on my model of car. So basically, be sure what you are thinking of doing is well documented. Probably would hurt to get written confirmatioon from Doug Gill at the SCCA either. :D

Stock class can be a real bear if you want to compete in a Divisional or National event because everyone is more interested in finding (nitpicking) you illegal than finding out how to out run you. I was personally not happy to see the National officials checking the chamber settings on the Solistices. It is not the Pontiacs fault that the Miatas were not built with adjustable suspenison but they are being punished for it.

pkt1213

Post by pkt1213 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:11 am

All Porches are a 9 series. Well except one or two.

The 944 came in a few models.
N/A 8v with the 2.5L or 2.7 L Run H stock.
Turbo, Turbo S, 16v 2.5L and 3.0L run B stock I belive.

Also the 87-88 924S w/ the 2.5 run H stock.

If I do so a swap it will only be an option on that car of that year. I want either an 89 944 because they went to the 2.7L and it makes more torque and is up about 10-15 hp but still lists in H stock. Or the 88 924S because the factory raised to compression from like 8.5:1 to like 10.2:1 and it makes about 10 more hp, is I think between 100-200 lbs lighter, but came with narrower wheels. Limited slips and the sport package, with bigger sway bars and better shocks, we available on both but are uncommon. Most people didn't want to spend the extra dough on those on a base model.

You could also get them a little lighter with a sunroof delete. I was thinking if I could find one with the sunroof delete I could just find an n/a lsd ect. It'd only be options available on that model. The big deal is all 3 of those are rare but were avaliable.

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 pm

crazy eddie wrote: It is not the Pontiacs fault that the Miatas were not built with adjustable suspenison but they are being punished for it.

Someone should tell Sam that all those Miatas he adjusts the camber on he's Realy not doing anything to them and should just stop ;)

and since when are you not allowed to adjust the camber in stock class?????
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Crazy_Dog wrote:
crazy eddie wrote: It is not the Pontiacs fault that the Miatas were not built with adjustable suspenison but they are being punished for it.

Someone should tell Sam that all those Miatas he adjusts the camber on he's Realy not doing anything to them and should just stop ;)

and since when are you not allowed to adjust the camber in stock class?????
So once again I prove my stupidity. LOL But the techs were checking camber with a gauge at Nationals. Chris and I stood there and watched them. :D

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:52 pm

This is the Stock class option package text in the rulebook:
Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. Alternate parts listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model.
If anything was a standalone option for your particular year and trim, it's fair game. It doesn't matter if the best option package for autocrossing was rarely ordered. If it was offered during that year on your model, you can install the parts.

The catch is that it's all or nothing.

If an upgrade you want (like limited slip) was one part of a larger option package (leather, sunroof, etc), you have to swap over everything as configured from the factory to stay legal in stock.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

pkt1213

Post by pkt1213 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:35 pm

Somehow I have missed that. Sweet. It was a stand alone option.

That really helps me out then. All I need to do is fine one with a sunroof delete and I can go from there. It's a lot easier to find one option then all of them put together.

Factory Sport Suspension - check
LSD - check
Factory Sport Seats - check
Sunroof Delete - check

Another question, kinda related if I had the money. What if a car, Porsche 968, was imported by the factory but the 986 Clubsport was not? Could you enter a CS if you had one. The reason I am asking cause the CS was several hundred lbs lighter with ps, ac, radio as options and deleting the sunroof, rear seats, sound deadening and front seats replaced with 1 piece buckets and the M030 suspension(koni's, springs and huges sway bars). What class would that run cause some were brought here and you can find them sometimes.

On the camber thing, they might have been checking to see if it had been adjusted outside of factory tolerances. I think you can do whatever camber you want as long as you can do it with factory adjustments. Someone flame me if I am wrong.

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Stock through Street Modified require cars that were sold through normal retail channels in the United States.
Cars...must have been series produced with normal road touring equipment, capable of being licensed for normal road use in the United States, and normally sold and delivered through the manufacturer’s retail sales outlets in the United States.
You can show up and autocross anything that meets the safety requirements. Classing may not be so friendly. If the Clubsport was grey market import only, it will go straight into its modified class.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:55 pm

All great responses. I did want to cover one thing about the springs...unless it was a factory option (as in the sport suspension had heavier springs) you cannot change to heavier springs even if the ride height is unchanged. I was going to do that with TOMS springs on the corolla but the rules dont allow it.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

pkt1213

Post by pkt1213 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:20 pm

I knew that. I had asked that question before about my Infinity.