Tires for Dec 9 AX

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

zoomzoom

Tires for Dec 9 AX

Post by zoomzoom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:51 am

I need some tire advice. I've already removed my R compounds from their rims, and mounted Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S all season tires for the winter. I have another set of rims with my summer tires (Bridgestones) still mounted.

Is there a temperature at which it would be advantageous to run the all seasons versus the summer tires?

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:29 pm

I wouldn't run the all-seasons unless there is snow on the ground. "All-season" is usually a world of tread squirm, soft sidewalls, shoulder chunking, and poor grip.

If you are aggressive on the first run like me, you will have to tiptoe through the first maneuver that brakes or turns you from speed. You will ultimately be faster on the stickier tires, though.

If the sun is out, the pavement will be warmer than the ambient temps. The runs will scrub in some heat, too.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

crazy eddie

Post by crazy eddie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:37 pm

what lug pattern /offset are your rims

maybe you can find someone to loan you some wheels & Rs for the last one.

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:56 am

I'll just go ahead and run my summer tires. The tires are Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A's, so they provide decent grip.

scoTT

Post by scoTT » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:39 pm

zoomzoom wrote:I'll just go ahead and run my summer tires. The tires are Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A's, so they provide decent grip.
yeah those are pretty good tires....I wrote an estimate on a new bmw 335i that had those and he needed a new 255/35/18 Bridgestone Potenzas RE050A runflat.......holy cow was that expensive.... like $450 for on tire bought and installed.....crazy...
Scott Mahaffey FSP 187
2007 VW Rabbit 2.5l