I'm wondering why my class was changed

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

cone-a-phobic

I'm wondering why my class was changed

Post by cone-a-phobic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:52 pm

for the april 20 event I registered as an sts class car but on the result page I was listed as a STX car? What happened? I read the rule book again and still think I should be a STS car. I sent an email to the board but still have not heard a response.

I'm confused :?

oh yeah, the car is a 2000 impreza non turbo

magilson

Re: I'm wondering why my class was changed

Post by magilson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:56 pm

cone-a-phobic wrote:for the april 20 event I registered as an sts class car but on the result page I was listed as a STX car? What happened? I read the rule book again and still think I should be a STS car. I sent an email to the board but still have not heard a response.

I'm confused :?

oh yeah, the car is a 2000 impreza non turbo
I think Don must have classed you incorrectly. You are correct that your car should be in STS as OEM viscous clutches are allowed within that class. I'll try to fix the classing issue tomorrow and repost the results.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:59 pm

I am in no way a SCCA official and just read the rule book like you, but if I remember (please correct me if I am wrong) you were driving a 2.5RS. Check Page 77 (2006 rule book) 14.11 line 5 where it talks about AWD cars having more than one limited slip being allowed in STX class (the 2.5RS came with rear and center viscous LSD). I didn't see anything in the STS class rules disallowing this, but this is the first time AWD cars with more than one LSD are mentioned so this might have been what bumped you into STX. I honestly didn't look closely at your car so if you could post the modifications that have been made it might shed some light on the subject.

Again I am no authority on the subject of classing cars (someone please correct me if I am wrong) this is just a guess.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:13 pm

The 2.5RS is fine in STS. The '97-'01 generation used to be a very popular car in the class.

Probably a mis-type at registration. They are very busy and might have heard wrong.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

magilson

Post by magilson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:15 pm

Pending no other modifications that you made outside of the STS rules (tires wider than 225, etc...) the 2008 rulebook does specifically mention the 2.5RS as an STS vehicle.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Had I bothered to download the 2008 book before posting the first time, page 167 says that 2.5RS would start out in STS so without knowing your mods I wouldn't have a guess.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

magilson

Post by magilson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:57 pm

I added a local reference to the Solo2 Rules as well as other references to those rules in the Novice Guide. The link to the 2008 PAX values was corrected along with the original PAX example.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Thu May 01, 2008 12:06 am

I thought it was STX class! I could have sworn that car was STX class based off what I understood, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, since the correct class will be listed on the tech cards going forward, hopefully I'll be able to key you into the right class. Sorry for the confusion!
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned