What Class!!!!?????!

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

mist_racer

What Class!!!!?????!

Post by mist_racer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 am

I can't figure out what class I will be running in on Sunday, help me.
I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse
2.4 liter four cylinder (stock)
cat back exhaust
short ram intake
lowering springs
treadwear 100 Toyo tires
stripped interior

Someone help me so i can make my signage.
Thanks
Matt

PS. Can someone tell me if the number 007 is taken this year?
2004 eclipse
DIC-fore edition

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

mist_racer

Post by mist_racer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:05 pm

bump can i get some help?
2004 eclipse
DIC-fore edition

Ironhead

Re: What Class!!!!?????!

Post by Ironhead » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:29 pm

mist_racer wrote:stripped interior
Sounds like Prepared (NOT Street Prepared) to me. Not sure which one exactly.

DP? EP? FP?
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 pm

If you removed your rear seat it looks like you would be in SM. To find the rules you can go to www.scca.com, under the SOLO tab they have a Solo Cars and Rules link on the left side of the page. You can find the 2008 SCCA National Solo Rules.pdf for download on this page as well as other useful documents.

Anyone looking to see if a # has been used this year need look no further than the Results link from the main page on this site. Just open the Raw times from EACH event, Ctrl+F, and input the # you are interested in and see if has been used yet. The number 007 has not been used.

Hope this helps, looking forward to seeing you out there this weekend. BTW be sure to read the Event Information and Novice Guide (also links on the left side of the OMR main page). There is a lot of good info in there that will really help on your first time.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

mist_racer

Post by mist_racer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:08 pm

just the first time not in g stock with my eclipse
ran last month in the stock Elantra gt. but any who all i have been able to figure out is street prepared but their are different classes
ESP
FSP
GSP
? i think
2004 eclipse
DIC-fore edition

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:26 pm

As has been said...

If "stripped interior" = rear seat only, you are in Street Modified.
If "stripped interior" = stripped interior, you are in a Prepared class.

If you are in a Prepared class, you are NOT, repeat NOT in a Street Prepared class.

Prepared is very different from Street Prepared. About the only interior component you can remove in Street Prepared is the radio.

FYI the hierarchy of classes is as follows...

Stock
Street Touring
Street Prepared
Street Modified
Prepared
Modified
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

mist_racer

Post by mist_racer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:56 pm

are their classes within prepared class i will run in it.
2004 eclipse
DIC-fore edition

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:57 pm

mist_racer wrote:are their classes within prepared class i will run in it.
2008 Solo Rules wrote:Prepared Class E - EP
Mitsubishi
Cordia (’82-’90) FWD, non-turbo
Alternate Specifications: No split shift.
Eclipse/Talon/Laser, (’82-’90), FWD non-turbo, 16V & 8V
Mirage, see Dodge Colt
That is what I would say if I were calling it.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

mist_racer

Post by mist_racer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:42 am

Thank you guys. I'm sure i won't be that competitive within my class but i just want to improve my times. i just didn't want to look like i was trying to skate something by you all. :)
2004 eclipse
DIC-fore edition

budweeks

Post by budweeks » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 pm

You're cool. The SCCA class structure is confusing to someone taking a first look at it. SCCA's classes have evolved over a long period of time for a variety of reasons. Back in the dark ages, there were only Stock, Prepared, and Modified classes. (For info on classes before the dark ages, you'll have to go to someone older than me.) Prepared was for race prepared cars so that theoretically someone could road race their car and also autocross it. Then sometime in the 80's Street Prepared class was created so that people who wanted to modify their cars and drive them to the event would have a place to play. Eventually, Street Prepared became serious and expensive, and also the aftermarket grew to where people were able to putt all kinds of goodies on their cars, and they needed a place to play too. (At least this is how it has appeared to me.) Thus we now have Street Touring (restricted to real street tires and limited prep, and hopefully less expensive) and Street Mod, where lots of aftermarket stuff like blowers and such appear, but where in theory you can still drive your car on the street. In acutal practice, most people around here do drive their cars on the street even if they are also serious autocrossers, but nationwide some people who are really serious even trailer their stock class cars. That has never made sense to me since you do not get to drive the car very much that you supposedly like the most.

Of course there are some inconsistencies in the rules. For example, stock class cars get to put any kind of a front sway bar on their car, as do the other classes. This is left over from when many cars needed some help on handling, and when a front bar made a car safe enough to autocross. This rule has also made some cars competitive that would not have been otherwise. Also, Stock cars get to use the stickiest tires where Street Touring cars do not, although they are otherwise prepared to a greater degree.

Even more confused? Well anyway, glad to have you come out. If you're having fun, then you are 100%.

Bud

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:00 am

budweeks wrote:In acutal practice, most people around here do drive their cars on the street even if they are also serious autocrossers, but nationwide some people who are really serious even trailer their stock class cars. That has never made sense to me since you do not get to drive the car very much that you supposedly like the most.

Bud
Amen Bud !

Its like the SCCA has forgotten the meaning os "stock" and "street". :lol:
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 am

Unstable wrote:
budweeks wrote:In acutal practice, most people around here do drive their cars on the street even if they are also serious autocrossers, but nationwide some people who are really serious even trailer their stock class cars. That has never made sense to me since you do not get to drive the car very much that you supposedly like the most.

Bud
Amen Bud !

Its like the SCCA has forgotten the meaning os "stock" and "street". :lol:

True Story! I never understood this muhself!
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:58 pm

It is because "Stock" is not a description, it is a preparation level.

Are Stock class drag racers stock?
Are the Street Stock racers you find at the local dirt track really street stock?

You get the idea. :wink:
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP