What can I do with MY car?

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

What can I do with MY car?

Post by JimR » Tue May 11, 2010 10:52 am

About Ozark Mountain Region SCCA
OMRSCCA is one of dozens of local chapters within the nationwide Sports Car Club of America. We are a non-profit organization that brings like-minded car enthusiasts together to make motorsports accessible and fun. All leadership positions and event organizers are unpaid local volunteers, and new faces are always welcomed. Most our region's members are in Southwest Missouri, North Arkansas, and Southeast Kansas.

What can I do with my car?
Autocross
Ozark Mountain Region hosts autocrosses, called Solo events on a regular basis. They are a timed race against the clock on a temporary course marked by cones. Basically any safe passenger car, from the family wagon to a sports car, has a place at these events. This is our most popular sport, and you can read our Novice Guide for more information.

Road Racing
Some of our members race, crew, and volunteer at wheel-to-wheel Club Racing events on road courses around the Midwest and beyond. Road racing requires an investment in safety equipment and schooling to be on track, but there are many opportunities to be a part of the action as a crew member

Time-distance Road Rally
On occasion we hold a time-distance and fun gimmick non-competition-speed Road Rallies on public roads. These are social events, and participants often bring a variety of sports cars, vintage cars, and daily-drivers.

RallyCross
OMRSCCA has RallyCross (short description: like autocross on dirt) events every so often, and we are always investigating new possibilities based on site availability.

Track Events and Time Trials
OMRSCCA does not have a road course in-region, but there are tracks not far away: Hallett near Tulsa, Heartland Park in Topeka, and Gateway St. Louis. You can get your car on track at Track Night in America or a SCCA Track Event. You can also compete against the clock in the Midwest Division Time Trial Championship Series.

More information
The SCCA devoted an entire issue of its monthly magazine to you. It covers all the programs the club offers, and an online version is free to view:

http://www.sportscarmag-digital.com/spo ... 01304_open
Last edited by JimR on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

JimR

Re: What can I do with MY car?

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 am

A good high-level primer, at least for paved activities, is this web site by racing author Dave Gran.

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to bump this thread. At the last AutoX there were a lot of new comers that didn't know some general information as to what to expect at an AutoX. The link Jim posted should get any new-bees up to speed. Of course if you have any questions, please feel free to ask us on this forum. We will be happy to help.
Justin
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.