new to autocross

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Grant

new to autocross

Post by Grant » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Hello. I just moved to Springfield and was very thrilled to find autocross events in this area. I have every intention of attending on the 11th at duck's stadium with one exception, the glorious arrival of our first child is to be on the 10th. Daddy's future race girl Quinn. Well, we'll just have to see how things go. Nevertheless i've been trying to educate myself on the rules for these events and, after reading the section on classification, i'm still not entirely sure where i fall. Is this something i need to have nailed down before i show up or will tech inspection determine my class?

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:17 am

Best thing is to list your year/make/model of car and all modifications (add-ons and deletes) you have done to it including tires and wheels. From there the crew will help you determine the best class for you to enter.

Tech inspection is only to ensure the car is safe not to classify them.

If you can't run but could slip out for 30 minutes or so, be sure and go out to the autox. Most drivers do not mind riders. Watching the action on site or in videos is good but being in the car gives you a much better idea of what it will be like actually driving.

If someone thinks this just a bunch of gearheads out making noise on a parking lot, let me assure you it is much more than that. Each run is a driving school learning what to expect and how to adjust to extreme changes in your car and its changing stance on the road. I have had drivers tell me that they had incidents occur on the street that would have, in the past, resulted in an accident but since autoxing they simply drove out of the situation with confidence.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 am

Oh yeah, WELCOME !!!

Should you and your wife be up for it, around the end of October early November the Region has a road rally that both of you can participate in and then mingle with your fellow SCCA peeps afterwards. The Travelling Tombstone is a gimmick rally that has the teams recording mileages, answering questions and sometimes performing tasks at checkpoints while enjoying a >100 mile drive in the beautiful Ozarks.

Enjoy ! :D
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

Grant

Post by Grant » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I will definetly be interested in just about all of the events the scca has to offer, and what fatherhood will allow. I am however still a little confused as to when i am supposed to have my classification figured out. Is it to be figured out by the "crew" upon this forum or those at the autox? I guess my fear is showing up at the event and holding things up because i am not prepared, in true noob fashion. In a nutshell is the honor system used here or will it be determined for me?

Grant

Post by Grant » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 pm

....and YES. i would love the chance to ride with a seasoned autox'r. I once spent a weekend at Hallett raceway during their HST event and, by far, gained the most out of my laps after riding with an instructor. I have absolutely no illusions of being a natural at this.

JimR

Post by JimR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Welcome.

Knowing your class ahead of time may save a little time in the registration line, but it's not the end of the world to figure it out at the event. We'll give you the same answer here as registration trailer. Feel free to let us know what you have and we'll help you navigate that part. At this point, it's mainly to just give you a place in the timing computer.

You'll primarily be concerned with having fun, learning, and meeting new people. If the baby decides to change her schedule, we'll be glad to have you. Otherwise, we'll see you at the one after that. 8)
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Grant

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Agian i read through the classification section and i think my car would be EM. Tell me how far off i am.

'92 miata
stock 1.6 motor
turbo, standalone ecu
225/45ZR15, 15x9
aftermarket coils, struts and swaybars
functional hood scoop
stock rotor diameter and calipers
removed a/c and power steering

these are the mods that i think make up the bulk of where it would belong. It seems that the addition of a turbo is what forced it to modified, no pun intended. Thank you again, both of you, for your help.

flogger

Post by flogger » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Sounds like SSM to me, rather than EM. If I'm right, that's good news, as the SSM PAX is .881 and EM's PAX is .928. Regardless of classing, that sounds like a potentially very fun car to autocross.
Scott Woosley

Grant

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I think you migt be right. i read the street modified section again and i didn't find any terminology that excludes the addition of a turbo. Earlier i just didn't find anything that allowed for the addition. But hey i'll take it! Now i feel more comfortable having narrowed down the possibilities anyway. Thank you sir. I'm probably putting way too much thought into this.

Bullitt2954

Post by Bullitt2954 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:29 pm

After over three months of waiting, and running in the class for which (I thought) was obviously going to be what the Veloster would be tucked-into (due to several near-identical cars on the "same" platform being in it), instead of "STC" - the Veloster N/A has just been classified by the STAC in.... "STF".

OK, whatever.

Never assume the Obvious.
Last edited by Bullitt2954 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Scott Creech, #54STF - Hyundai Veloster "The BluMeanie!"

Parfois, on fait pas semblant

"The key to happiness is; If you cannot learn to do something well; learn to enjoy doing it poorly..."

Grant

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Odd...and only helps support my confusion.

Good advice though,
Nehmen sie nie offensichtlich an.

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Grant wrote:Agian i read through the classification section and i think my car would be EM. Tell me how far off i am.

'92 miata
stock 1.6 motor
turbo, standalone ecu
225/45ZR15, 15x9
aftermarket coils, struts and swaybars
functional hood scoop
stock rotor diameter and calipers
removed a/c and power steering

these are the mods that i think make up the bulk of where it would belong. It seems that the addition of a turbo is what forced it to modified, no pun intended. Thank you again, both of you, for your help.
You could just jump in the catch all XP class. Earlier this year at PCP, my Civic finished 3rd against a Factory Five Cobra and a Corvette while still on the 185/60/14 all season tires.

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Grant wrote:i read the street modified section again and i didn't find any terminology that excludes the addition of a turbo.
Correct.

D. Drivetrain and related components (induction, ignition, fuel systems,
etc.) are unrestricted except for the following limitations:

1. Engine block must be a production unit manufactured and badged
the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model.
Badges that exist as marketing aliases for the manufacturer
will be recognized as equivalents. Swaps involving makes related
only at a corporate level are not recognized as equivalents. Models
produced as a joint venture between manufacturers may utilize
any engine from any partner in the joint venture, provided that
an engine from the desired manufacturer was a factory option in
that particular model (e.g., Eagle Talon, available originally with
either a Mitsubishi or Chrysler engine, may use any motor from
Chrysler or Mitsubishi). This allows engine blocks manufactured
as production units for sale in other countries such as Japan or
Germany.

2. Maximum engine displacements per class are specified in Appendix A.

3. Fuel System
a. Any fuel line(s) may be used. All non-standard fuel line(s) passing
through the passenger compartment shall be made of metal,
metal braided hose, or equivalent (e.g., Nomex, Kevlar, or
nylon braided hose) with AN Series threaded couplings, or entirely
covered and protected with a metal cover.

b. Any fuel pump(s), filter(s), and pressure regulator(s) may be
used. Such components may not be located in the passenger
compartment but their location within the bodywork of the car
is otherwise unrestricted. If a mechanical pump is replaced,
a blanking plate may be used to cover the original mounting
point.

c. A cool-can, not exceeding one gallon in volume, may be used.
The cool-can may not be installed in the passenger compartment.

d. The fuel tank may be modified or replaced. If the fuel tank is
modified or replaced, the following restrictions apply:

1. No part of the fuel tank or fuel cell shall be closer than 6â€
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:36 pm

that car would be XP legal

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 pm

that be legal in XP...