New guy

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Bgray

New guy

Post by Bgray » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Hey guys. I am Brandon Gray. I work at Reliable Imports and my boss Robert turned me onto the SCCA based on my interest in autox. I just bought a car so that I can participate and I have an 8 year old who keeps beating me up to get him into racing. I have never done anything like this before and don't really know how to get started, let alone how to drive. If there is anyone out there who can help me and my son get started and learn, more importantly, I would appreciate any advice, coaching or help.

Thorox

Re: New guy

Post by Thorox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:01 am

Welcome Brandon! I am sure you will find the group here at OMR is more than willing to provide help, advise, and is eager to get you racing! Our next event is this Sunday 9/11/16 in Neosho at the Crowder College Trucking skid pad. What kind of car do you plan on racing?

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:04 am

Formula Junior Solo Karting would be an option for your 8 year old. Ride along (passenger) in the street cars has an age restriction of 12 years old. Maybe someone with karting experience can chime in here.

Bgray

Post by Bgray » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am

I will do some more research on the formula cart for my son. He is eager but I want to make sure we get him set up in a class where he can learn and grow. I would like to have him racing next season.
I plan on racing my '03 350Z. It needs a little bit of work before it is ready to race. I will try to have it ready by the 11th. Worst case I will at least be a spectator for the event. Maybe at that point I can make some formal introductions and get to know a few people in the group.

Thorox

Post by Thorox » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:02 am

If you don't race you can still come on down and you can ride along with many of the drivers and learn first-hand what it's all about!

Bgray

Post by Bgray » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:38 am

I will be there. Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:17 am

Brandon,

Nice meeting you last Sunday. Hope you had a good time and that we'll see you again in October.
Scott Woosley