Another Newb...

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

craigb

Another Newb...

Post by craigb » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Hey fellas, I plan on coming out this weekend and try my hand at autocross.

I plan on running my 1984 Mustang SVO. It isn't 100% stock, just kind of curious which class these parts will put me in:

3" turbo back exhaust
17x8 wheels with standard street radials
adjustable boost controller (Gillis Valve)

I'm looking forward to this, I've been trying to come and race over there for several years, but my job at the dragstrip (Mo-Kan) usually conflicts with your schedule...
Craig

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:20 am

I would hope they would let you in STU because every class above that run on race tires.
Street Touring - U
Same limitations as Street Touring - X, but generally allows cars of unlimited displacement , or up to 3.1 liters turbo- or supercharged, with unrestricted wheel width, tire width up to 275 (RWD) or 245 (AWD), .
If they place you in Street Prepared it would be ESP which is super competitive.

But of course you can jump to Street Modified which is more of a "run what ya brung" class.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for the advice. Since it is my first time out I'm really just looking to learn the ropes and hope not to embarrass myself too much... :D
Craig

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:25 am

The car would fall into the C-Prepared (CP) or Street Modified (SM) classes. I'd recommend Street Modified, as it's a popular class locally, and allows a lot of leeway for power adders. At local events, you're really there to have fun and learn to drive quickly. Competitiveness isn't important as long as your car is properly marked for timing and scoring purposes.

Unfortunately, STU and ESP are out. Power upgrades are pretty tame in Street Touring and Street Prepared classes - they're more handling-oriented classes. Most ST and SP power upgrades fall into intake and exhaust work, and electronic fuel/ignition mapping.

STU would require a catalytic converter within 6" of the stock location. Also, the mechanical boost controller is a no-go in either STU or ESP. The SCCA classing boards have always seen forced induction as a wild card, difficult to maintain class parity and police. Not turbo-friendly, but the slippery slope factor is there and they play it conservatively.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

craigb

Post by craigb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Clears it up a bit. I downloaded the SCCA Solo II rule book, but it's a little much to take in all at once.

I do have a question on numbers. How will I be assigned a number? I was wanting to go ahead and have some numbers made up before I got there, but don't want to show up with someone else's permanent number.
Craig

budweeks

numbers

Post by budweeks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 am

Easy solution for the time being. Just bring some kind of tape that will show up on the side of your car, and you can create whatever number and class disignation you need for this event. Then for next event you will know what you need. Some other people just use tape every time. The important thing is that it is easily readable, and that you have fun.

Bud

craigb

Post by craigb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:11 pm

I understand about it being readable. I work in the tower over here and you wouldn't believe how bad people's shoe polish work is... :lol:
Craig

craigb

Post by craigb » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:59 pm

I had a great time guys! Learned a lot and looking forward to trying it again in September. Now I need to get the car to accelerate without hesitating. I think the fuel pumps are getting weak... :roll:
Craig

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:16 pm

I like the car and am looking forward to seeing you come back so I can get a closer look at it (work assignments didn't allow that this time). I was wondering what happened to the car on the last run? I saw it parked up the hill later so I assume you got it running.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

craigb

Post by craigb » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:35 pm

It was really dumb. The coil wire fell off the distributor... :roll: :lol:
Craig

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:46 pm

craigb wrote:It was really dumb. The coil wire fell off the distributor... :roll: :lol:
Old trick we used on the circle tracks - form-a-gasket.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

craigb

Post by craigb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:13 pm

The problem is it's not clicking onto the cap like it should. I think it just needs a tweak with a pair of pliers.
Craig

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:38 pm

really like your car. Too bad about the coil wire.
01 Mustang GT

craigb

Post by craigb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks! :D

Your truck was impressive, amazing what a blower will do for those 5.9s. :shock:
Craig

The Huff

Post by The Huff » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 pm

What does that truck run in a 1/4 mile?
Justin Huffman
Asst. R.E.