Should the Big 3 be concerned?

Racing pics, vids and anything visual (within reason).

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

Unstable

Should the Big 3 be concerned?

Post by Unstable » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:46 pm

Diesel yes. I am loving these!! 8.0-liter I6, 300-horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque. Gears are swapped using an Eaton 5-speed manual transmission.

Sick ass interior!

Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

drivehard

Post by drivehard » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:48 pm

Hmmmmm, I think the big 3 are already concerned, being as Toyota is tied for first with GM.

Bout time Toyota stepped up though!
CRUX[kruks] 1. of perplexing difficulty. 2. the essential or most important point.

DRIVE HARD, DRIVE FAST, DON'T MISS YOUR POINT!!!!

Gmcnabb

big three

Post by Gmcnabb » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 pm

The tundra is a nice truck. My '05 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Durmax came from the factory wth 310 hp and 640 torque ( '06+ had 365 hp). All Duramax that have automatic trans came with the Allison transmission. Mine is a 5 speed, the 06+ is a Six speeed auto to help with fuel mileage.

I have raised the torque by 125 ft. lbs & the horsepower by 75 using a Bank's Engineering Ram Air Intake, a 4"diameter exhaust and the electronic programmer which has 6 different power settings. This is 5,000+lb truck that gets 18-21 mpg on the hwy. and will pull 14,000lbs. No it does not get 20mpg pulling 14,000lbs :D

All of the big three will continue to raise that bar again & again, but it may be a little while as they are all having trouble with the emission particle filters.

Diesil truck magazine did a full comparison of fuel mileage, overal comfort & towing a 10,000lb trailer up a 5% grade. Results were: Chevrolet -first, Dodge - second and the new redesigned Ford last. You hear reports of 8-10mpg on the new Ford.

Dodge was the standard for years and continues to be a great truck, it is due to redesigned in 1-2years.

If the tundra does make it to market, this will force Chevrolet to redo their's in the future also.

This is what makes trading vehicles fun, they just keep getting better.

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:00 pm

That show truck looks pretty butch, but the Big Three aren't scared of the current Tundra. It's been a bit of a dud.

This was Toyota's prize cow for the North American market, and it gave us mediocre crash test ratings, surprisingly steep and early rebates/incentives, engine recalls, and the most hideous interior of anything made with a pickup bed.

The Big Three still rock the truck market. They've really stepped up their interiors, they offer okay fuel mileage, and they're tougher and better-looking.

For the money, I would get a Cummins turbo-diesel Ram.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD