Annual Tech Inspection for Solo !

Announcements and news concerning OMRSCCA business.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox, springfielddyno, Ted Wells

flogger

Annual Tech Inspection for Solo !

Post by flogger » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:18 am

Hurray!

The BOD recently approved that I, as Solo Director, start an Annual Tech inspection program for the Solo program for our region. This should reduce the workload for tech inspectors at subsequent events and help minimize a potential bottleneck in the mornings before events, thereby better ensuring we start our Solos on time and everyone has more fun. Yay. The section of the SCCA rule book that covers this is 3.3.3 A . I'll paste a copy of that section as it currently exists below.

I've already started the process of getting Annual Tech cards and stickers. Assuming they're here in time for the first event and I get everything squared away with the Chief of Tech, we will institute this program starting with the first event of the year.

Special notes: This program will only be for current members of the region in good standing for at least the last 3 years who have shown good judgement wrt safety during that time. Participation is at the sole discretion of the Solo Director and Chief of Tech. Participants should plan on presenting their cars and helmets for a very thorough inspection (including class letters and numbers). We are counting on participants to be responsible, and if something notable and/or safety related is changed on the car during the course of the year, to resubmit the car for inspection.

I look forward to widespread participation and appreciate in advance your flexibility and understanding as we go through the inevitable teething process that instituting this new program will entail. I've seen Annual Tech programs instituted before, and once up and running, I know this will be a very helpful program for all Solo participants.

Thanks,

Scott Woosley

3.3.3 Safety Inspections
All vehicles must pass safety (tech) inspection on the following points
prior to competing. Entry fees, if already paid, will be refunded if a car
fails to pass safety inspection. Safety inspection is not concerned with the
legality of a car.
The organizing Region may at its discretion provide an advisory inspection
for vehicle classification and legality, in connection with technical inspection.
A. Annual Inspection (optional)
An Annual Safety Inspection for a calendar year may be available for vehicles
presented for inspection by an SCCA® member. When a vehicle
has completed the requirements for an Annual Safety Inspection, an official
Annual Tech card will be issued to allow Registration or other designated
event officials to verify Annual Tech prior to the start of competition.
An official Region SCCA® Annual Tech sticker shall be placed
on the vehicle in a location that will be visible to the starter when the
vehicle approaches the start line for a competitive run. If the Annual
Tech sticker has been removed, the card may be used to obtain a replacement.
Alternatively, individual event tech stickers can be issued
when the Annual Tech card is presented rather than the issuance of an
Annual Tech sticker. The Annual Tech should be honored for all SCCA®
sanctioned Solo® events in that Region. The following conditions apply
to all Regional implementations of Annual Tech:
1) Regions have the option of placing additional restrictions on the Annual
Tech process, such as limiting the classes allowed and/or restricting
it to experienced drivers.
36 — 2015 SCCA® National Solo® Rules
3. Vehicles
2) The Annual Tech inspection must be conducted by an experienced
inspector appointed by the Regional Solo® chairperson. It is strongly
recommended the Region Tech Inspector appoint and train an adequate
number of assistants.
3) The vehicle should be presented for Annual Tech in the same condition
in which it will compete.
4) It is the responsibility of all competitors in a vehicle with an Annual
Tech approval to verify that all items in Section 3.3.3 are in compliance.
5) The event technical inspector or chairperson may require a vehicle
be presented for a re-inspection if there is good reason to believe
that a vehicle is not in compliance with Section 3.3.3.
6) A vehicle must be re-inspected if modifications are made to the car
after receiving an Annual Tech approval.
An official SCCA® Annual Tech sticker may be affixed to helmets meeting
the current standards in order to easily identify eligible helmets.
Scott Woosley

flogger

Re: Annual Tech Inspection for Solo !

Post by flogger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 am

I talked to Doug Gill at SCCA and bounced some ideas off of him. He had considerable insights which come from experience. So, the way we'll do this is we'll have annual tech cards which will be the responsibility of the members to keep with themselves all year. After registration, go to tech and just show your completed and signed card to receive a sticker for the event. By getting a fresh sticker at each event, participants don't have to worry about keeping their stickers in good shape all year long, and the Starter (which can sometimes be a relatively new autocrosser) will only have to check for one type of sticker, minimizing potential confusion. Only stickers for that weekend's event are valid.

Obviously at the first event of the year there is the potential of a bit of a bottleneck, so I ask participants to fill out their own forms and just collect signatures from Chief of Tech or me once their cars and helmets have passed the annual tech inspection process. For a minimal amount of extra effort at the first event of the year, it'll be a lot less hassle overall, and provide more fun time for participants. Just keep in mind, though, we still need participants to be safe and responsible, so if anything of significance safety-wise changes on your car or helmet, it'll have to be checked again, per the SCCA rulebook section 3.3.3.A. Oh, and please, no griping. You'll still have lots of fun even if you and or your car don't qualify for the annual tech program. We're just trying to make it, as my youngest daughter used to say, "more funner".
Scott Woosley

flogger

Post by flogger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:48 am

Oh, and I just remembered - I meant to mention that the annual tech inspection program is for our regional events only, and is not applicable for the MidDiv event we'll be hosting.
Scott Woosley

flogger

Post by flogger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:45 am

This program was a success in 2015 and I'm planning on continuing it in 2016. It's an annual thing, though, so everybody needs to go through tech at the season opening March Madness autocross. Those of you who can do this, please do. It cut down on the lines in tech and made our events go more smoothly for everyone. Thanks.
Scott Woosley